Fire on board CS Discovery in Alang Shipbreakers - Ships Nostalgia
19:24

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Fire on board CS Discovery in Alang Shipbreakers

User Tag List

Old 30th June 2006, 11:35
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1971 - 1981

My location
Fire on board CS Discovery in Alang Shipbreakers

There have been reports of a fire on board the 'China Seas Discovery' - ex- Fair Princess, ex-Fairsea, ex-Fairland, ex-Carinthia at Alang Shipbreakers on June 26th. Reports state that the ship was totally engulfed in minutes and that 5 workers were killed and 15 injured, some seriously.
When will India start to impose some kind of Health & Safety measures for these poor people involved in this 'scrap market' in India?
Old 30th June 2006, 13:16

My location
Peter,

This is a another example of a long-term disgrace.

Life is cheap in those parts and the workers probably too poor to refuse the work. The problem has been discussed many times on SN but there seems to have been no significant improvement despite promises made.

Regards,

Brian
Old 30th June 2006, 19:36

What problem..?

In answer to your question Peter...the Indian Gov won't...they couldn't give a toss...

Health & Safety is a get out clause for covering one's a*se over here...thanks USA....

I did a Food Health & Hygiene course at the local college this Summer, I don't have a direct interest in the food business, I'm just a keen cook....I was the only one on my course, and wanted somehing to do over the Summer...meanwhile, they were also doing a Health & Safety course that had 46 people enrolled on it..!..all paid for by local companies...

Seems to me that it may be cheaper to poison a guest in your restaurant...than them to the fall over...

Rushie