Anybody recognise 3 captains - Ships Nostalgia
13:25

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Anybody recognise 3 captains

User Tag List

Old 4th April 2017, 20:30
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1958 - 1962

Anybody recognise 3 captains

Following a visit to Glasgow University Archives I photographed 3 Captains who I personally can't identify.

Captain A, downloading his supply of whisky for the voyage?? was aboard the Benlomand.

Captain B on the Benarkle, looks like a Senior Captain.

Captain C, on the Benreoch, with something in his hand that looks like a cannon ball??

Any help would be appreciated.

George Clark
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Captain A.jpg (109.1 KB, 378 views)
File Type: jpg Captain B.jpg (106.7 KB, 377 views)
File Type: jpg Captain C.jpg (94.7 KB, 363 views)
Old 4th April 2017, 21:15
Active: 1962 - 1964

That first picture has everything in it:
Dockworker with itshide soles (tackety boots had gone by then), barrel sling, the work of the cooper, steel cable on the bollards, spare anchor and the OM, very smart in polished shoes, cap at a jaunty angle and sporting his war medals.
Could almost be a carefully contrived oil painting. Wonderful!

p.s. Gentleman in his day whites didn't look like yin ye'd like to get on the wrong side of.

Last edited by Basil; 4th April 2017 at 21:18..
Old 4th April 2017, 22:03
Organisation: Coasters
Department: Navigation
Active: 1956 - 2000

My location
Think 3rd picture shows him holding a hammer & shot put (think Scott's Porridge Oats)
Old 4th April 2017, 22:32
Active: 1947 - 1954

My location
Looks like all three has been on Porridge Oats. No weight program back in those days.
Old 4th April 2017, 22:44
Department: Deck
Active: 1953 - 1981

Ben Line Captains

Don't know any of them but must remark how the glorious Ben Line of Leith represented Scotland's contribution to the British Merchant Navy in grand style. Yes, these Masters look prosperous and captains of all they survey. There's a style about all three that demonstrates that a shipper's goods were in safe hands and that they would get to destination without damage in order for the merchant to collect his money.

The British Merchant Navy. R.I.P.
What went wrong?

Alistair
Old 5th April 2017, 00:40

My location
Looks like a Haggis to me.
Old 5th April 2017, 08:59
Active: 1973 - 1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basil View Post
p.s. Gentleman in his day whites didn't look like yin ye'd like to get on the wrong side of.
Doesn't look like he knew where the iron was kept!!!
John
Old 5th April 2017, 09:33

Thats great....so Captain C is either practising for a Highland Games, or if it was a War time picture, he is maybe responsible for loading the Cannon ?, but Haggis bombs is a bit of a stretch ??
George
Old 5th April 2017, 09:54
Active: 1962 - 1964

Quadrantal sphere?
Old 5th April 2017, 10:21
Active: 1957 - 2003

My location
The first one I am sure is Captain W C Wilson who was the first Master of the Benlomond I did the maiden voyage as Cadet. The barrel is not Whisky but Sherry it did the round voyage to the Far East and back and was stowed in the focsle head. I understand it was to age it and it was bottled in Leith At the time this was a tradition on the maiden voyage of all new builds. The picture would have been taken in June 1957 at "C"she'd Royal Victoria Dock

Last edited by Tom S; 5th April 2017 at 16:59..
Old 5th April 2017, 10:40
Active: 1957 - 2003

My location
I think but not 100% certain as it was a long time ago but is Captain C not R L Bruce ? Captain B I know but can't remember his name
Tom
Old 5th April 2017, 14:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Clark View Post
Thats great....so Captain C is either practising for a Highland Games, or if it was a War time picture, he is maybe responsible for loading the Cannon ?, but Haggis bombs is a bit of a stretch ??
George
Can,t think of the Captains names at present but the Captain C is possibly holding some of the things required for the Djakarta Highland Games.the hammer and shot putt. I know they used to ship a caber out. Over to Ian Keyl for the names
Old 5th April 2017, 17:41

Thank you all for your posts I have learnt a lot today:

For Captain A, - Basil had some good observations about the Benlomand then Tom S suggested the name W C Wilson and the fact that it was Sherry and not Whisky in the Cask. (could it really have done a round trip and not been tampered with??)

For Captain C - Tom S suggested the name R L Bruce and for the “balls” Basil suggested “Quadrantal Spheres”. From Wikipedia I have learnt:

“Quadrantal Spheres are hollow soft iron balls mounted on brackets on either side of the binnacle to correct the compass deviation resulting from the magnetism of ferrous metal in a ship. The Flinders Bar is used to compensate for the vertical component of the vessels magnetism”.

I will be visiting the Archives in a few weeks time so will check out the suggested names

Thanks again.

George
Old 5th April 2017, 18:10
Department: Navigation
Active: 1965 - 2000

My location
Also known as Thomson spheres.
Old 5th April 2017, 19:26
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1960 - 1966

My location
The iron spheres that were mounted on the magnetic compass on the monkey island were always referred to as 'Kelvin's Balls' on the ships that I sailed on'

Captain 'C' is surely holding a hammer and a shot as used in athletic competitions'

Never regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many. Don't worry about old age - it doesn't last.
Old 5th April 2017, 20:56
Active: 1964 - 2007

Well I may be struggling here but i would put Captain "C" as Rex Lymm know as Sexy rexy.
The items he is holding are a shot and a Scots hammer en-route to Jakarta for the Scottish Highland games where Rod Ramsey our Manager for Indonesia used help organise the event and also the Burns Night for all the Scots and English expats. Ben used to carry a load of Haggis on a Jakarta bound vessel.
The Captain "A" has me puzzled as his braid is only half and this could be a master ex Ellermans. Ben masters were always given full cuff braid which was only an eighth of an inch less than RN braid.
I have no answers to Captain "B" but he looks a fit man maybe not to pick scrap with.

The sherry was sent out east and usually put in a cradle in one of the forward hatch lockers for security. It was then sent to a bottling company who kept it then eventually bottled it and it was given away to shippers , It was not too bad to drink , had a few bottles. (over the years).
I will try and find out the other two names.
Keep her steady and on course. Ian
Old 6th April 2017, 07:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian keyl View Post
Well I may be struggling here but i would put Captain "C" as Rex Lymm know as Sexy rexy.
The items he is holding are a shot and a Scots hammer en-route to Jakarta for the Scottish Highland games where Rod Ramsey our Manager for Indonesia used help organise the event and also the Burns Night for all the Scots and English expats. Ben used to carry a load of Haggis on a Jakarta bound vessel.
The Captain "A" has me puzzled as his braid is only half and this could be a master ex Ellermans. Ben masters were always given full cuff braid which was only an eighth of an inch less than RN braid.
I have no answers to Captain "B" but he looks a fit man maybe not to pick scrap with.

The sherry was sent out east and usually put in a cradle in one of the forward hatch lockers for security. It was then sent to a bottling company who kept it then eventually bottled it and it was given away to shippers , It was not too bad to drink , had a few bottles. (over the years).
I will try and find out the other two names.
Keep her steady and on course. Ian
Ian. I have in my possession(wait for it)A Health Declaration for Haggis shipped to St. Andrews Society in hong Kong. They were stowed in the Provision Fridges
Old 8th April 2017, 14:29
Active: 1966 - 2009

Definitely sherry in first photo - a well established tradition of ageing the sherry - called incidentally "Old East India Sherry". Michael Strachan's book "The Ben Line 1825 - 1982" mentions it and there is a photo between pages 152 and 153 showing Capt Harvey on Bendoran with Strachan and the Master of the Vintners Company standing by a barrel while holding glasses of the stuff.

The iron ball (Kelvin's Balls) were used to correct the soft iron part of Coefficient B, if my memory remembers it correctly!
Old 8th April 2017, 18:07
Active: 1959 - 1979

My location
I think Captain B was probably Captain Powell who came from Ellermans and was one of the early captains on Benarkle which came from Ellermans as City of Poona. Cant be certain as it is over 45 years since i saw him.
Old 17th April 2017, 23:03

Captain LG Powell

Captain B was L.G. Powell. He was master when I did my first trip as cadet on the Benarkle in 1968. A fine man.

Last edited by shonny; 17th April 2017 at 23:07..
Old 18th April 2017, 20:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basil View Post
That first picture has everything in it:
Dockworker with itshide soles (tackety boots had gone by then), barrel sling, the work of the cooper, steel cable on the bollards, spare anchor and the OM, very smart in polished shoes, cap at a jaunty angle and sporting his war medals.
Could almost be a carefully contrived oil painting. Wonderful!

Get back to the pit Basil. They aren't bollards, they are BITTS!
Old 19th April 2017, 12:11
Active: 1964 - 2007

The three musketeers is still troubling me its the first master I cannot put a name to. The picture of capt Lymm was taken as mentioned on the Reoch when she was taken off the HK/Japan run due to containerisation and she went on the jungle runs, this picture was published in the Ben Bulletin on a promotion of the Asian highland games . Ian.