Kuwait Shipping or UASC - Page 32 - Ships Nostalgia
20:27

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Kuwait Shipping or UASC

User Tag List

Old 6th November 2019, 15:20
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1967 - 1975

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbieR View Post
Sad to hear, another legend gone but lots of laughs with him all them years ago. (From memory Arthur didn't pass any bar without calling in!)
Managed to speak with Arthur on the phone a few times past - he did not keep in good health. Was at his wedding in early 1970ís - Ronnie Hughes was best man - still cannot find Ronnie. Arthur married the daughter of a guy who used to do the coast as dispensation second - Liverpool family.
Old 24th December 2019, 22:31
Organisation: Other Merchant Fleets
Active: 1973 - 1983

Happy Xmas

Happy Xmas to all ex KSC and UASC shipmates. A long time ago but never to be forgotten.
Old 25th December 2019, 04:37
Active: 1968 - 2011

My location
Happy Christmas to all and fond memories of Christmas Days spent the world over.
Old 6th February 2020, 17:38
Active: 1969 - 1985

brian third engineer

Hello
I have not quite dropped off the radar.
Just put a video on u tube under thirdengineer (on search) of an engine room tour of the Ibn Bassam which Albie is familiar with which was fimed in Hull on December 2000. So any engineers may remember old watches!
Brian

Last edited by brianthirdengineer; 6th February 2020 at 17:39.. Reason: spelling mistake
Old 6th February 2020, 22:19
Active: 1970 - Present

Brian many thanks for a trip down memory lane. I'll just nip into the garage and put on my boilersuit.
Its over 45 years since I first set foot on a K-Class, Ibn Battotah, and I feel fairly confident I could get everything running from dead ship tomorrow. Or maybe next week.
I hope many of our Shipmates view this video as it deserves a big audience. Cheers.
Old 7th February 2020, 08:46

That's brought back a few memories. The engine room appears to be in tidy condition. Where were the engineers and crew from at this time?

The smokeroom looks a bit sad!
Old 7th February 2020, 11:19
Active: 1971 - 2015

Yes brought back a few memories. Well worth watching. Sailed on 5 K Class.
Old 7th February 2020, 15:21
Active: 1977 - 1983

The sound of those Ruston DGs brought back some memories - sailed on 7 K class between 77 & 83, think 6 of them were Hyundai. (+1 Small & 1 Big Russian) Have impressed a few people telling them I used to drive a 12,500 hp Hyundai
Just put on my coat & hardhat, over my overalls, over my clothes just to go and check on my 2 Alfa Laval Purifiers before the weekend. A bit less to wear back then - Boilersuit, skiddies, socks and sweatband, even do up my bootlaces these days.
Old 8th February 2020, 23:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutsplitter View Post
That's brought back a few memories. The engine room appears to be in tidy condition. Where were the engineers and crew from at this time?

Hello Nut splitter the crew at the time of my visit were Eastern European ,I think Rumanian who were very welcoming and the engine room was a credit to them after a life of 23 years service
Brian
Old 8th February 2020, 23:16

to nut splitter

Quote:

Hello Nut splitter the crew at the time of my visit were Eastern European ,I think Rumanian who were very welcoming and the engine room was a credit to them after a life of 23 years service
Brian
Old 10th February 2020, 23:03

They had a well laid out machinery space with bags of room for overhauling. I could never find fault with them and would defend them against all comers; me, my Junior and my Donkeyman.
Old 11th February 2020, 08:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianthirdengineer View Post
Brian
I joined the Ibn Shuaid at the building yard in Ulsan in about 1977. Compared to a British shipyard Hyundai was light years ahead. I was prepared for a trip that would throw up a multitude of problems but due to the excellent build quality I don't remember us having much to do, other than the leckies who did battle with the AEG crane electronics that didn't like the temperatures in the Gulf. My main contribution was skimming and polishing the caps on the main engine tie bolts.

The K class was already a bit behind the times with regard to cargo handling. I was always surprised that so many were built but with no evolution in the design to cope with the increasing use of containers. The machinery was good and generally reliable but still antique compared to Japanese equipment that had been value engineered.

I was always happier on one of the small Russians as these provided an engineering challenge. At least these were built like a ship and not a barge!
Old 12th February 2020, 09:41

The only positive thing I can say about the small Russians is that they were bloody good looking ships.
I joined my first small Russian as a young, good looking, technically savvy, hardworking lad and paid-off a broken man. I was overwhelmed with "Engineering Challenges", how did you manage them?
Old 13th February 2020, 23:13

small Russians

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine Serang View Post
The only positive thing I can say about the small Russians is that they were bloody good looking ships.
I joined my first small Russian as a young, good looking, technically savvy, hardworking lad and paid-off a broken man. I was overwhelmed with "Engineering Challenges", how did you manage them?
Some of my memories of the small Russians are not very good I joined the Salehiah in New York on 11th May 1976 relieving Dave Boardman and a week later in Newport News was taken off with a broken jaw after being smacked in the face with a hydraulic jack on my way towards the exhaust valve cradle to see how the crew were progressing and met the jack near number 6 cylinder head! Brian Constable was chief smashing bloke ,and I spent the next 4 weeks in Norfolk Naval hospital happy days?
My first trip was on the Kadisiah from 14th Aug 1974-till 1st May 1975 with Bugle and the late Arthur Charnock two great guys.
I also did 3 months on the Sabahiah in 1976 with Dougie Price and Dave Boardman. Also 3 months on the lay ups at Jebel Ali.
Cant say I was sorry to see the end of them
Old 13th February 2020, 23:25

to nut splitter

Quote:
I joined the Ibn Shuaid at the building yard in Ulsan in about 1977. Compared to a British shipyard Hyundai was light years ahead. I was prepared for a trip that would throw up a multitude of problems but due to the excellent build quality I don't remember us having much to do, other than the leckies who did battle with the AEG crane electronics that didn't like the temperatures in the Gulf. My main contribution was skimming and polishing the caps on the main engine tie bolts.

The K class was already a bit behind the times with regard to cargo handling. I was always surprised that so many were built but with no evolution in the design to cope with the increasing use of containers. The machinery was good and generally reliable but still antique compared to Japanese equipment that had been value engineered.

I was always happier on one of the small Russians as these provided an engineering challenge. At least these were built like a ship and not a barge!
Nutsplitter
Did you meet Alan Dodds whilst on the new builds in Ulsan he was always going on to me about the Shuhaid in Ulsan? He was my junior on the Khaldoon The Shuhaid was my last deep sea trip in 1984 to Brazil with my wife which was great.
Brian
Old 14th February 2020, 05:54

Brian Constable was Chief on the Ibn Battotah and I can't speak highly enough of him, great guy. Although he broke my heart measuring and adjusting the cylinder oil consumption, he declared war on Alexia 50. The Ibn Battotah ran like the proverbial wee sewing machine, good times.
Old 18th February 2020, 14:20

Did any of you guys come across Roger Kingdon? I sailed with him on Prince Line and last met with him in Glasgow on one of your Russian boats....just wondered. I think at that time he would have been 4th maybe 3rd Eng.
Old 18th February 2020, 20:14

Quote:
Nutsplitter
Did you meet Alan Dodds whilst on the new builds in Ulsan he was always going on to me about the Shuhaid in Ulsan? He was my junior on the Khaldoon The Shuhaid was my last deep sea trip in 1984 to Brazil with my wife which was great.
Brian
That's a name from the past. If I remember , his parents kept a pub somewhere near Liverpool.
Old 18th February 2020, 20:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine Serang View Post
A few years with Bank Line following an apprenticeship in mining and quarrying equipment helped! Never a dull moment.

I joined the Al something or other in Liverpool. As we were due to sail the next morning the jacket water and lube oil pumps were started to bring the engine up to temp. About 21.00 the junior poked his head into the smokeroom to report that the lube oil returns had turned a funny colour. He was right and to cut a long story short one of the covers on the main engine drain tank had been left loose , the bilges had flooded over the tank tops ( leaks all over the place) and the rest is history. We spent another three or four days in Langton Dock while the lube oil / seawater emulsion was pumped out, a shore squad cleaned the crankcase and tanks, flushing oil pumped around etc. The strange thing was that I don't remember any inquisition's being held by the company. I think it was still KSC at the time.
Old 19th February 2020, 20:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Leitch View Post
Managed to speak with Arthur on the phone a few times past - he did not keep in good health. Was at his wedding in early 1970ís - Ronnie Hughes was best man - still cannot find Ronnie. Arthur married the daughter of a guy who used to do the coast as dispensation second - Liverpool family.
Where did Ronnie come from.?
Old 23rd February 2020, 07:33

Quote:
A few years with Bank Line following an apprenticeship in mining and quarrying equipment helped! Never a dull moment.

I joined the Al something or other in Liverpool. As we were due to sail the next morning the jacket water and lube oil pumps were started to bring the engine up to temp. About 21.00 the junior poked his head into the smokeroom to report that the lube oil returns had turned a funny colour. He was right and to cut a long story short one of the covers on the main engine drain tank had been left loose , the bilges had flooded over the tank tops ( leaks all over the place) and the rest is history. We spent another three or four days in Langton Dock while the lube oil / seawater emulsion was pumped out, a shore squad cleaned the crankcase and tanks, flushing oil pumped around etc. The strange thing was that I don't remember any inquisition's being held by the company. I think it was still KSC at the time.
At that time freight rates were so high the policy was to get the ship out asap and sort problems out later. A minor hiccup like a main engine full of water wouldn't have caused a major stir in Corn Exchange Buildings.
Old 26th February 2020, 11:08

Al Kadisiah

Quote:
Some of my memories of the small Russians are not very good I joined the Salehiah in New York on 11th May 1976 relieving Dave Boardman and a week later in Newport News was taken off with a broken jaw after being smacked in the face with a hydraulic jack on my way towards the exhaust valve cradle to see how the crew were progressing and met the jack near number 6 cylinder head! Brian Constable was chief smashing bloke ,and I spent the next 4 weeks in Norfolk Naval hospital happy days?
My first trip was on the Kadisiah from 14th Aug 1974-till 1st May 1975 with Bugle and the late Arthur Charnock two great guys.
I also did 3 months on the Sabahiah in 1976 with Dougie Price and Dave Boardman. Also 3 months on the lay ups at Jebel Ali.
Cant say I was sorry to see the end of them
Hello again Brian, I visited you on that small bouy boat in Middlesbrough, are you still at it saving for your retirement?
My first trip with KSC was on the Al Kadisiah, joined her in Liverpool in
early April 1972 and did two trips down to Aussie one as 3rd Engineer and the second as permit 2nd engineer, paid off in December just in time for Xmas, had some great times on the coast Willie Seybold Old man and DAG Griffiths as mate. I was on the Shuhaid with Davy Boardman from Oct 81 to march 82, the only downside was Dick Dunn C/E. Was on the lay up vessels at Dubai and also at Jebel Ali, had my wife and son out there also, had some great times.
Old 5th March 2020, 22:30

Russian YUK

I remember the russian ships, hated them, didnt like them, all the drawings in russian, all the electrical panels in russian, all the switchgear huge Russian monstrosities, electrical fuseboards with bottle fuses that used to burn just by looking at them the wrong way.

Aaahhhhhhhh Happy Days.
Old 8th March 2020, 11:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Quigley View Post
I remember the russian ships, hated them, didnt like them, all the drawings in russian, all the electrical panels in russian, all the switchgear huge Russian monstrosities, electrical fuseboards with bottle fuses that used to burn just by looking at them the wrong way.

Aaahhhhhhhh Happy Days.
Hi Bob sounds like your a lecky, unusual surname, there was an old man I sailed with, Hugh Quigley, great guy.
I don't think anybody really liked the Russian ships but you just got on with it and there was normally a great crowd of lads who made sure that you got from one port to another without too much hassle and had a great time into the bargain.
Old 8th March 2020, 11:26

Years ago I was looking at a Soyuz spacecraft in the Science Museum and the electrics and wiring reminded me of the Russian ships. I could have leaned in the hatch and put a second Genr on the board.

I sailed with Capt Quigley on Ibn Abdoun, probably the happiest ship I sailed on. Peter Dammer was also a sociable shipmate.

Last edited by Engine Serang; 8th March 2020 at 11:28..