Hull's concrete vessels - Page 2 - Ships Nostalgia
21:11

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Hull's concrete vessels

User Tag List

Old 19th April 2007, 15:58

of concrete barges/ships, I was chatting to a colleague who recalls a concrete ship wrecked just south of Whitby between the two light houses
can anyone identify the ship ?

Have a Good Week

Regards and Good Health

Steve Wilson-Burgess
Old 19th April 2007, 20:27

My location
Hi Guys

Started my sea career at Gravesend Holiday Camp and seem to recall that there were quite a few concrete barges on the North side of the river. My mother informed me that a lot of barges were used for water storage during the war. Every time the tide came in it filled the barges so that the Firemen had a good supply during the bombing, and especially with all the incendiary bombs that Herr Hitler dropped on the docks in London.

Ron
Old 19th April 2007, 20:44

yes steve correct they are from w.war they are as far down as garlieston ask older people they will tell you how important they were as far as i beleave they made floating bridges ask the press about garlieston you will be amased what you will find out. my name is sandy
Old 19th April 2007, 20:57

[QUOTE=frances.donnachie;122715]yes steve correct they are from w.war they are as far down as garlieston ask older people they will tell you how important they were as far as i beleave they made floating bridges ask the press about garlieston at war you will be amased what you will find out. my name is sandy[ask also about the mullberry harbours i think the last one colapsed under the sea at rigbay garlieston in 2006.
Old 23rd June 2008, 23:25

Just come across your post Clockman ref homebuilt concrete yacht. I sailed with a skipper for a number of years and he had rebuilt an old Bristol pilot cutter(I think it was) and eventually was looking for a new project. He decided to build a concrete version in his front garden. He made the hull framework out of chickenwire and on the big day got in a couple of barrels of beer and a crowd of friends to throw the cement onto the frame. A couple of plasterers smoothed the surface and that must have been the cheapest hull ever made.
He made the rudder and other bits from material scavanged from shiprepairers and scrapyards whilst on board. A very clever and multiskilled man he was.

I saw the finished yacht in Poole harbour one summer and a he had certainly made beautiful job of it. Good enough to make money chartering it out.
Old 24th June 2008, 21:59

Can see that not too many of you are sailors (Sailboat types). In the seventies concrete hulls became a fad mainly for home builders building their own yachts. Only knew of one chap who actually built (And more to the point, finished it). It was a 25 footer and used the sails designed and sold for the "Shark".
de chas
Old 24th June 2008, 22:06

My location
Concrete Yacht

Met a guy in Harrison Hot Springs, British Columbia. English guy ex 2nd Off
he'd built a concrete boat. He was fitting it out, that would be in 1979ish.
I askew him how they performed on the water, he just smiled and say "we'll find out eh lol"

all ther best
Hughesy
Old 18th May 2009, 13:39

About 1969 while on a day trip to Le Havre I saw what looked like a ship made from cement annexed off and obviously had not been in use for some time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concrete_ship
Old 22nd May 2009, 21:22

Kris
Queen Elizabeth dock was opened in 1969

Pete
Old 22nd May 2009, 22:28
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Navigation
Active: 1955 - 1999

there was a yacht( wild knight ??) built in hartlepool in the earl 80s using concrete which finished up in the gambia on some sort of charter business.
as a child i remember seeing the remains of a concrete barge, which had been wrecked during the war, lying near souter point
Old 22nd May 2009, 23:22
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1953 - 2014

My location
Hull's concrete boats

A good friend took about 25 years (!) to build his own 40' concrete yacht in the back garden. We all thought it would NEVER be finished never mind float. Well, it was and it did and is luxurious as one would expect from a master cabinet maker. Immaculate in every detail, it is now his pride and joy and based in Turkey where he sailed it to three years ago.
Old 23rd May 2009, 03:02

My location
You might be interested in this web site concerning a company in Tampa that built ferro-cement ships during World War II. The idea actually predates that period, at least to World War I. Many ended up being sunk as breakwaters and, since the hulls are impervious to rust, they are still occasionally encountered. However, they required thicker hulls and were heavier than steel hulled ships. The greater weight meant less cargo capacity, and I suspect that consideration had more than any other to do why the idea never caught on.

http://www.concreteships.org/ships/ww2/
Old 23rd May 2009, 21:27

Wink Concrete Ships

Go to google maps, type in 57 52' 37.11N 6 42' 1.11"W. This should take you to the Isle of SCALPAY; you will see some thumbnail pictures, one of them will reveal a superb picture by David Graham of a concrete ship named CRETETREE.
Here's another snippit.
http://www.mareud.com/Ferro-concrete...ilding_co.html

I hope this is some use to the thread.
Regards
Nick

Last edited by nick olass; 23rd May 2009 at 21:30.. Reason: Thought I had made errors
Old 27th February 2020, 09:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by K urgess View Post
In years gone by if you were to go to the far south eastern corner of KG & QE dock in Hull. When you looked over the dock wall you would see beached (in this instance is the correct term "mudded"?) a concrete vessel of some sort.

It appeared to be a small coaster or a barge with stern accomodation.

To my everlasting shame I never took a photograph. At the time I had just swallowed the anchor and was visiting foreign ships to repair all the nasty things the sparkie couldn't be bothered with so my reaction was "Oh that's nice" and just walked away.

The dock has changed somewhat since 1978 and extensions have probably buried it. I've tried Google mapping (Hull is a high resolution area) but can find no sign of it.

Does anyone know anything about it or have photos?
Yet another awful act of necromancy, but the answer to OP's question is the Concrete Barge PD133 Creetstreet, whch was built by John Ver Mehr Shipyard in Shoreham in 1919.

-------------
Remains of 1920 wreck of British barge which foundered in the King George Dock at Hull. She was subsequently recovered and incorporated into a pier wall in 1925, where she still remains, south of the Queen Elizabeth Dock. She was built of concrete in 1919.

Ordered 1917 as PD 133, completed for the Shipping Controller as CRETESTREET; 10.02.1920 sank in the King George Dock at Hull. Later raised by the dock's owner and permission granted by the Humber Conservancy Board to sink her in a dredged hole at the end of the training wall in 1925. In 1949 the barge LINGDALE H ran into her in poor visibility. In 1954 conical day marks and red night marks were put on the vessel, later moved to the extended river wall. (4)

04-DEC-1973: Stranded wreck shown in 53 44 07N, 000 15 24W on Hull survey.

In 1999 the vessel was filled over to form part of a pier in a land reclamation scheme.

http://www.pastscape.org.uk/maps.aspx?a=0&hob_id=907881
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CRETESTREET1.jpg (70.4 KB, 3 views)