Dame Vera Lynn - Ships Nostalgia
09:53

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Dame Vera Lynn

User Tag List

Old 18th June 2020, 09:51
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1964 - 1981

Dame Vera Lynn

103...Too many plaudits to list..

Just one.."The Forces' Sweetheart"
Old 18th June 2020, 11:41
Department: Engineering
Active: 1947 - 1954

My location
Loved her singing. R.I.P Vera.
Old 18th June 2020, 12:05

Class.
A lady who deserved her Awards (and more).
Old 18th June 2020, 13:03
Department: Deck
Active: 1964 - 2009

My location
RIP Dame Vera. You deserve a statue.

Last edited by Dickyboy; 18th June 2020 at 19:08..
Old 19th June 2020, 01:22
Department: Navigation
Active: 1976 - Present

RIP Dame Vera, a truly great lady from a time of truly great people. If Churchill won the war for us, she kept morale high so that all the brave lads and lassiescould win it for us. One of a kind.
Old 19th June 2020, 08:58
Active: 1967 - 1976

My location
R.I.P. .......Vera
Old 19th June 2020, 15:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dickyboy View Post
RIP Dame Vera. You deserve a statue.
Yes she does. The trouble is the Riff Raf running around these days will find some lames excuse to tear it down.

She was a magnificent woman who did way more for the United Kingdom then many others. Many years ago I saw my later father listening to the radio and tears running down his cheeks. It was Vera singing "White Cliffs of Dover". recording ng,r
Old 20th June 2020, 06:27
Active: 1966 - 1973

"White Cliffs of Dover"?. I see an obvious problem Don.
Nice Lady, RIP
Old 20th June 2020, 07:21
Spongebob
Active: 1957 - 1961

Dame Vera and her back up Gracie Fields saw us through those terrible times of WW2

Bob
Old 21st June 2020, 04:38
Active: 1951 - 2011

My location
In those days a song was on the air often enough for even a war time school boy as I, learned every word and could lustily sing along. I still tear-up whenever I hear Vera Lynn singing "White Cliffs of Dover" ... It meant so much.
As for Gracie Fields, her saucy songs made us laugh and forget our troubles.
I used to really like Workers' Playtime, a lunch time national radio show broadcast from a different factory canteen each workday. Vera ...Forever.
Old 21st June 2020, 08:32
Active: 1970 - Present

Quote:
Originally Posted by spongebob View Post
Dame Vera and her back up Gracie Fields saw us through those terrible times of WW2

Bob
Didn't Miss Fields run into a bit of flak when trying to change her nationality from Italian to British?
Old 21st June 2020, 09:10
Spongebob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine Serang View Post
Didn't Miss Fields run into a bit of flak when trying to change her nationality from Italian to British?
ER, she blotted her copy book with many of the British public when she married Monty Banks , a man of Italian birth who was regarded as an alien during WW2. She lived on the Isle of Capri and later married a Rimanian handyman.
I guess this stole her image as a lassie from Lancashire for many and while Vera became the home and forces sweetheart Gracie did a lot to support the war efforts .
She went over big when she visited NZ in 1945 which was the time I got to know about her .

Bob
Old 21st June 2020, 11:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by barry john macauley View Post
"White Cliffs of Dover"?. I see an obvious problem Don.
Nice Lady, RIP
Good afternoon Barry. Yes, there is by today's so called standards.

What I see happening today is a complete reversion of our history, be it good or bad history. I was about 6 years old when I saw my father's tears, I was 73 years old a few days ago and so am thankful he cannot see what has happened to our country.

The trouble is, as I see it, no Politician has the guts to say "no" to these protesters/vandals and looters and as a result our country will be shaped to meet the crazy thoughts of these people.

Have a great Sunday,
Stay safe, stay healthy,

Don
Old 21st June 2020, 14:09
Active: 1956 - Present

My location
Since Gracie Fields has been mentioned: She figured in a wonderful tall story I once heard a man tell about how he and his mate won the war. The premise was that wnen Gracie was on the radio it put a heavy electrical strain on the national grid. And the nation's morale depended on Gracie. On one particular day, "Battersea went," (the power station) and all the strain fell on a small sub-station down beyond Swindon... "so I said to Fred.. better get shovelling..."

It was a masterpiece of dramatic fantasy and I wish I had that man's skill.
Old 22nd June 2020, 15:15
Department: Navigation
Active: 1976 - Present

Quote:
Originally Posted by spongebob View Post
ER, she blotted her copy book with many of the British public when she married Monty Banks , a man of Italian birth who was regarded as an alien during WW2. She lived on the Isle of Capri and later married a Rimanian handyman.
I guess this stole her image as a lassie from Lancashire for many and while Vera became the home and forces sweetheart Gracie did a lot to support the war efforts .
She went over big when she visited NZ in 1945 which was the time I got to know about her .

Bob
But she did have the biggest Aspidistra in the world!
Old 22nd June 2020, 15:33
Varley Varley is offline   SN Supporter
Active: 1971 - 2011

Aspidistra at least are established immigrants, Blue Birds never made it to Dover.
Old 22nd June 2020, 20:01

My location
This recording of her's could very well be the signature tune of SN:

Brian
Old 23rd June 2020, 06:42
Active: 1966 - 1973

Music sweeter than Winnick?.
Old 23rd June 2020, 14:48

My location
When I played that recording it sounded like the old big band sound of Russ Morgan playing "So Tired) with those crying trumpets.
Old 23rd June 2020, 15:55

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Rogers View Post
When I played that recording it sounded like the old big band sound of Russ Morgan playing "So Tired) with those crying trumpets.
Yes, John, another favourite of mine, with the "wah-wah" trumpet as you mentioned.

Brian
Old 23rd June 2020, 16:24

My location
I just went to You Tube and played a couple of Russ Morgan.
Old 30th June 2020, 06:54
Spongebob

Robert Hilton's post 14 was in fact a reality when Gracie visited NZ .

At the end of WW2 New Zealand was fully stretched with its electricity generating capacity and the whole North Island relied on two older coal fired thermal stations, one in Evans Bay Wellington and one on Kings Wharf
Auckland plus Hydro Electric stations , Horahora and Arapuni on the Waikato river and one at lake Waikaremoana .
This called for power cuts during peak periods to make ends meet and the means of monitoring was crude to say the least.
Each Electric substation the length of the island was interconnected by a pair of telephone wires that were strung under the high tension main trunk power lines from north to south and each and every station operator was connected by way of this party line and a morse code letter for the station
identification .
Sophistication extended to an Ericsson crank handle phone in the station control room and repeated in the hall of the operators home and in each position you had to stand on a slightly raised wooden platform that had porcelain insulators for legs in case a transmission line dropped and enlivened the phone system with a big drop of 'Juice ' as the product was called .
The nucleus of this then high tech system was an office in Hamilton manned 24 hours per day and called system control and at peak times the total Island load was controlled by this office talking to each substation and instructing them to chop the supply off to this or that town or area to get through the day or night .
This system was well set and ready when Gracie Fields visited NZ in 1945 after entertains troops in various theatres and she entertained the country one Saturday night over National Radio and that night it was noticeable that the post evening meal time load didn't ease as stoves went off and in fact increased to near peak as many thousands of homes settled down with radios on and their one or two bar Electric radiators on full blast and all looking forward to the evening concert.
The load held up until about 10.30 pm when the concert finished then started dropping away as appliances were switched off and people toddled off to bed .
There was much cranking of the Morse signals as both the thermal stations ashed out and banked fires for the night and the Hydro stations throttled back on the penstock valves to settle down to the light overnight load
Then, all of sudden the load surged over just a few minutes and tripped the minimum generators off line.

What had happened is that this mass of people had enjoyed the concert and got to talking about it as they planned to switch off ready for bed but in a case of 'all minds think alike' they said in remote unison " Oh what a lovely concert. Let's have a cup of tea before we go to bed". So with heaters going back on plus kettles and jugs the demand surged as high ,if not higher than during the concert itself .
The hydro stations were able to step up fairly smartly but the populace just sat there and thought "just a local cut, it will be on again soon", so every time the breakers went in they popped out again so it took and hour or so for each substation to be asked to isolate area feeders until supply was restored and people did their thing and switched off before going to bed .
A great shambles and I remember it well as I had stayed up for the concert and had been in the station switch room as my Operator Dad did his part in the recovery plan.
The headlines the next day mentioned that the Japanese had not managed to bring us to our knees but Gracie Fields nearly did.

Bob