Where are the experts on LIBERTY (EC-2) ships? - Page 3 - Ships Nostalgia
11:54

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Where are the experts on LIBERTY (EC-2) ships?

User Tag List

Old 29th February 2020, 08:16
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Navigation
Active: 1951 - 1999

My location
Liberty in a bottle - ex Samwash
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fullsizeoutput_8d89.jpg (24.1 KB, 7 views)
Old 29th February 2020, 10:25
Department: Deck
Active: 1986 - Present

As I mentioned already in my post #43 , although the picture is a great example and does show the use of the nets, the vessel pictured is NOT A LIBERTY. The text in the PDF is wrong!

The IWM has a series of pictures of the same ship, while the nets are testet. I have not identified the ship yet, but it could be a FORT or PARK type. It only has two masts, looks like 3 islands and a really big funnel. It looks very similar to a Liberty...

Lars
Old 29th February 2020, 20:53
Department: Deck
Active: 1986 - Present

Hi Guys!

I am working on more details, but it is kind of tough...

- length of the net boom
- diameter of the net boom
- layout of the rigging

I looked at a SAM ship picture and did some measurements and calculations. Because of the picture angle and quality, it will only be all just "about". But at least it is a start.

Although not confirmed, the out board distance of the net was to be 60'. Bearing this in mind, the breadth of an EC-2 was 57'. The mast height only 47', but the cargo derrick at No. 1 hatch 55' (a).

Looking at this picture, the net boom seems 1,372 times longer than the cargo boom / derrick. That would mean 75.5' in length (b). Obviously, the booms stand at different angles, but this picture seemed to be a good starting point. I also marked changes to the standard configuration:

- rear raft moved further aft (c)
- bulwark removed, re-movable reeling instead at aft mast
- "catchh Net Frames" (not visible in picture) (f)
- extended cross trees at fore and aft masts (with net booms) (e)
- 20mm Oerlikon gun tub (forward) moved slightly aft, to make room for lowered boom at fore mast (d)

The net can be seen aft on the topped booms.

Interesting in this picture also the white paint used on top half of masts and booms as well as funnel. I did not notice this on any other Liberty ships but British SAMs. I wonder when this was introduced...?

Any comments welcome!

(sorry, legend is in German!)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SAMSHIP Netgear marked.jpg (137.8 KB, 8 views)

Lars

Last edited by FSG631; 29th February 2020 at 23:20..
Old 5th March 2020, 16:34

My location
top steering position

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSG631 View Post
Dear Alan,

I believe most, if not all, Liberties came with the open fly bridge / compass. At least that is what the ship yard pictures show.
The "cabins" were added later at different points in time and differed widely, maybe self made using dunnage? or whatever available or provided by the managers. They may look similar in size and height, if the existing railing around the compass was used to fix the panels.

But that is only my guess!
Came across this pic of the KELVINBANK ( ex SAMUTA) top deck (monkey island) showing extensive awnings instead of a wooden hut.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1307.jpg (139.7 KB, 10 views)
Old 6th March 2020, 10:36

Hi Guys
Fascinating stuff, I have heard of ships towing 'noise making vessels' to attract acoustic torpedoes, but who came up with the idea of draping nets around a ship, brilliant......well, maybe!
Old 6th March 2020, 15:34
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1970 - 1985

That is what they did on the John W Brown over the steering wheel. Rest of deck is not covered. There is a covered chart table behind that with a canvas drop screen.
Old 7th March 2020, 05:56

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Steele View Post
Hi Guys
Fascinating stuff, I have heard of ships towing 'noise making vessels' to attract acoustic torpedoes, but who came up with the idea of draping nets around a ship, brilliant......well, maybe!
Probably slowed the ship down, but at least it made the voyage.
Old 30th June 2020, 14:52
Organisation: Maritime Enthusiast
Department: Engineering

Post War Weyerhaueser Liberty Fleet

Good Day!

I am also making a model of a Liberty, postwar. I noted that Weyerhaueser bought six or seven after the war, and converted them later for the lumber trade.

Anyone know the names of the ships they bought/renamed?

Need a starting place to look for photos, drawings, etc.

Many thanks!

john
Old 30th June 2020, 15:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Rawlinson View Post
Came across this pic of the KELVINBANK ( ex SAMUTA) top deck (monkey island) showing extensive awnings instead of a wooden hut.
Alan,

Took me a few minutes to look at your photo. I now see the creases in the photo. I thought it looked like you were crossing a sea or porridge!

Stephen
Old 30th June 2020, 19:23
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1943 - 1951

Re post #17 - It's the Maritime History aspect that fascinates me - lights my fire!

From 1943 until 1947, I sailed on the Liberties SAMITE, SAMFORTH and SAMNESSE, managed by Alfred Holt & Co. for the MOWT.

The story on my time on the first two is told in my book, LIFE ABOARD A WARTIME LIBERTY SHIP, while that of the SAMNESSE is told in my book, OUTWARD BOUND.

Both books are available on Amazon.
Old 1st July 2020, 18:36

My location
Bank Line Liberty's

Pictures and accounts of the 12 Liberty Ships post war that were in the Bank Line fleet can be viewed on https://banklinonline.com.
CORABANK ex SAMFLEET shown
Attached Images
File Type: jpg UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_6f20.jpg (192.1 KB, 10 views)
Old 1st July 2020, 20:54

Many thanks. I counted from the website a total of eight Liberties:
Corabank, Edenbank, Kevinbank, Tielbank, Ericbank, Rowenbank, Maplebank, and Ivybank.

I am guessing they would have had post war conversions. Did the Bank Line have a yard of choice? It might be drawings have survived of the conversion in the shipyard.

That would be ideal for modelmaking.

I can look up the original names in Sawyer tonight.

John
Old 2nd July 2020, 00:55
Organisation: Other Navies
Active: 1965 - 1969

Regarding the question above about the Weyerhaeuser Company's Liberty Ships: off the top of my head I recall the following: Geo. S. Long, F.E. Weyerhaeuser. Horace Irvine, W.H. Peabody, John Weyerhaeuser, C.R. Musser, F.S. Bell and possibly W.L. McCormick (not entirely certain about the W.L. McCormick). As an aside, at some point the company had the ships' superstructures rebuilt and modernized, including replacing the original funnels with new streamlined stacks. The ships looked strikingly modern and handsome afterward.
David
Old 2nd July 2020, 06:21

My location
Bank Line Liberty ships

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtennier View Post
Many thanks. I counted from the website a total of eight Liberties:
Corabank, Edenbank, Kevinbank, Tielbank, Ericbank, Rowenbank, Maplebank, and Ivybank.

I am guessing they would have had post war conversions. Did the Bank Line have a yard of choice? It might be drawings have survived of the conversion in the shipyard.

That would be ideal for modelmaking.

I can look up the original names in Sawyer tonight.

John
There were 12 and the other 4 were Marabank, Willowbank, Springbank and Titanbank. ( I am still adding the names and pictures to the site). As far as I know there were no specific conversions made, certainly not in one yard. There were changes made on an ad hoc basis like removing gun mountings and the most noticeable one being the removal of the t'gallant mast on some, which was a shame in my opinion as it robbed them of a very distinctive look.

On the 2 years I spent on the Maplebank as senior apprentice we spent a lot of time patching bulwark plates with chart paper which we then painted over with white gloss paint. Looked great!
Old 2nd July 2020, 16:35

What's that saying? "A little bit of putty and a little bit of paint....."

Thanks for the rest of the names. There is a truly excellent quarter aft view of Tielbank I found on a website.

I am thinking of changing to making it one of the Bank ships, there seems to be much more significant photographic record of the ships. Very few on the WeyCo ships I have found.

Half the fun is the research.

J
Old 2nd July 2020, 17:16

Smile WeyCO Ships

Yes, I agree, they are very handsome ships. Why I want to model one. But there is a real dearth of photos of the ships. And I'd love to know where they might have been converted. I will try a few letters and emails to the west coast archives and cities to see what I can scare up. I sent a note to the successor company, but no reply. Hard to say about getting information in these COVID days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHendrickson View Post
Regarding the question above about the Weyerhaeuser Company's Liberty Ships: off the top of my head I recall the following: Geo. S. Long, F.E. Weyerhaeuser. Horace Irvine, W.H. Peabody, John Weyerhaeuser, C.R. Musser, F.S. Bell and possibly W.L. McCormick (not entirely certain about the W.L. McCormick). As an aside, at some point the company had the ships' superstructures rebuilt and modernized, including replacing the original funnels with new streamlined stacks. The ships looked strikingly modern and handsome afterward.
David