Ships Nostalgia banner

Rmas Auricula.

7K views 25 replies 5 participants last post by  OLD STRAWBERRY 
#1 ·
Heard some disturbing news yesterday. By word of mouth an EX Shipmate told me that "TECNIC PUTRA" EX RMAS AURICULA had sunk in the China Sea. Not sure whether or not it was recently or a while ago. she was originally bought by Lowline after Her RMAS years had ended and was working in the North Sea on Seismic Survey. After that She went out Far East I think probably with a new company and was doing similar work. I just wonder is there anyway that this can be confirmed?.

#3 ·
Hello TC, thanks for the comments. Yes Dave was brilliant keeping those generators going. I think it was quite rare to have three generators serviceable at any one time and to work in that Engine Room where one was always at a stoop. Please give him My regards if You see Him. As regards RMAS Auricula I can't be sure if it is true or not and I don't know how I could find any info' to confirm or deny the fact. I know we had a couple of hairy moments in Her but She kept going.

#6 ·
Thanks lads.

#8 ·
Thanks Ron. There always a bit of controversy over Her stability. Especially after a few years. She did originally have a Torpedo Hatch on the Foredeck but as time went on. We only did one Torpedo Trial and found the Torpedo Hatch surplus to requirements as other Trials Teams had much larger equipment. So on a refit at South Shields We had a much larger McGregor Hatch fitted, even able to load a Container down into the Fwd Lab. It was said that this Hatch may have upset the Stability but I feel sure that that would've all been looked into during the refit. I spent 13 years in Her and really only had a couple hairy moments.

#9 · (Edited)
just for information i'm finding that the spelling of her name is "TEKNIK PUTRA".
IMO 7803334
owned and operated by TL GEOHYDROGRAPHICS SUN BHD
call sign HP9101
MMSI-351579000
flag-PANAMA
Thay's all i can find on her
on ship tracker she is still listed as active for what its worth.

#10 ·
Brilliant Roo, sounds very positive. Yes, I was'nt sure of the spelling of Her other name. Thanks for your help Mate. I feel greatly relieved, had some good times in Her. 93 Trials in Her missing just one for My Son's Wedding.

#12 ·
Thanks again Roo. Someone may come up with the goods. As PMSO said in an earlier post She was last seen on Marinetraffic September 2013.

#14 ·
Great, thanks Waighty. Looking positive now. I had a look around the Singapore Area on Marinetraffic but coudn't see Her but hardly surprising really for the amount of shipping around there.

#16 ·
The Panamanian research vessel M/V TEKNIK PUTRA (1,009 gross) grounded on Thursday Island, in lat 10 34.28S, long 142 14.9E, Jan 24. Refloated with tug assistance same day. Anchored at Cape York. No apparent damage. (Tues. Jan. 25 2000)
not recent news but its some news at least.
from THE CARGO LETTER [348]

#17 ·
Again many thanks Roo. That was a longtime ago, so nothing more recent than that Roo.

Thursday Island off the Northern tip of Queensland.

#19 ·
She would be about 34 years old. So as you suggest She may well be laid-up or heaven forbid even scrapped. I don't suppose those events are recorded. I guess the only way to find out would be through the owners. Geohydrographics. Thanks for all your help Roo. Will this have a happy ending or not???.

#22 ·
Thanks for that Ron. As Roo say's the plot thickens.

#23 ·
The main thing is that she still appears to be afloat! You must be dedicated Ron to plough through 200 pages of their annual report; I've had a quick flip through but failed to spot the ship but then I am also supping a few glasses of Jim Beam's fine sipping whiskey (with water of course) so that might influence my research abilities!!

#24 ·
Just had it confirmed the Old Girl still lives and still working. Tony Smith from Newberry Diesels has just posted on the Gallery Picture in YC/PAS/RMAS of Teknik Putra EX RMAS Auricula. Brilliant news and thanks to Tony Smith.

#26 ·
Thanks All for Your help.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.