History of GKA Book - Page 3 - Ships Nostalgia
14:18

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

History of GKA Book

User Tag List

Old 27th June 2020, 10:59
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1963 - 1995

QRY 80 ? ...........I had a brief spell of Detached Duty at Wick/GKR in the mid 70's. It included spells on their HF service for Deepsea Fishing vessels. I only worked a few ships, mostly ore carriers but none were fishing vessels. It annoyed the OC at GKR because I was sat there on overtime doing mostly nothing !!

David

+
Old 28th June 2020, 02:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by david.hopcroft View Post
QRY 80 ? ...........I had a brief spell of Detached Duty at Wick/GKR in the mid 70's. It included spells on their HF service for Deepsea Fishing vessels. I only worked a few ships, mostly ore carriers but none were fishing vessels. It annoyed the OC at GKR because I was sat there on overtime doing mostly nothing !!

David

+
Hadn't most of the trawlers gone by the mid-70s? In their hayday, Wick must have been pretty busy.

John T
Old 28th June 2020, 17:46
Active: 1963 - 1995

John - I have tried to date the DD by the car I had then to drive up to GKR from GKZ. It was a long way. I remember stopping for petrol just after leaving Inverness and the sign said 'Wick 135 miles' I think it was probably early 70's.

I have found these in NSWS 1 of 1976

David

+
Attached Files
File Type: pdf NSWS3.pdf (164.8 KB, 35 views)
File Type: pdf NSWS4.pdf (215.6 KB, 16 views)
Old 28th June 2020, 19:01
Active: 1966 - 1986

Read the book now can't wait for the filum.......

Talking of Wick, I used them a few times from the PG or Indian coast 'cos you didn't get a QRY......
Old 30th June 2020, 04:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Bennett View Post
I must admit I didn't know either until I started my research. ....
Looks like any ex-RO who can say they worked (or heard) both MW Burnham-on-Sea Radio/GRL and successor Ilfracombe Radio/GIL during their sea-time are becoming a bit thin on the ground.
Later learned more on GRL when I trained at GKA in '63 and have given it the occasional mention here on SN.
Bought yr book for ex-GTZB friend and look forward to news when it'll be available in Kindle form.

Last edited by R651400; 30th June 2020 at 09:25.. Reason: "The usual."