Only Working Steam Bucket Dredger - Ships Nostalgia
14:50

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Only Working Steam Bucket Dredger

User Tag List

Old 19th October 2010, 09:43

Only Working Steam Bucket Dredger

At the Gloucester Waterways Museum, the volunteer Friends of the Museum look after the working bucket steam dredger SND No 4, built by the De Clop shipyard at Sliedrecht in 1925.

As part of current fundraising, we would like to claim we have the only working bucket steam dredger in the world (or perhaps in Europe).

Can anyone confirm or dispute this claim?
Old 19th October 2010, 10:26
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1961 - 1998

In 2004 I saw the Dutch steam bucket dredger FRIESLAND working at the excellent Dordrecht steam tug rally.

As soon as I can get access to a scanner I'll post some snaps, but there are plenty of references & pix on the internet.

The rally, held every other year [odd-numbered years have the similarly-excellent Flensburg rally], is massively popular, the Netherlands being a nation that unlike the UK has not turned it's back on the sea.

Well worth a visit, about 20 steam tugs & other steam craft including passenger vessels - the SHIELDHALL & British steam tugs have attended.

The Dutch being the Dutch, they even towed the dredger round in the parade that opened the rally - they also towed round a floating steam grain elevator !

73s

Marco
Old 19th October 2010, 15:31

Thanks to Marco

Many thanks for your information. I have now found some photos of the bucket steam dredger Friesland but very little information.

Can you suggest a website that will say where Friesland is based, where she used to work and who is looking after her now.
Old 19th October 2010, 17:39
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1961 - 1998

Hugh -

The National Dredging Museum [only the Dutch would have a museum devoted to dredging !] at Sliedrecht should be able to help -

http://www.baggermuseum.nl/

When I saw her in '04 she had a Westminster Dredging/Boskalis logo on her funnel - maybe Boskalis sponsor her.

73s

Marco
Old 19th October 2010, 19:39
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1962 - 1970

My location
marco nista #4, Sliedrecht is the foremost dredging port in the world. Roughly 90% of world dredging is handled from this port, or at least by people connected to it. Generally the people of Sliedrecht keep to themselves and are very friendly towards any seafarer. They think in cubic meters!
Old 20th October 2010, 18:18

Thanks again to Marco

I will indeed contact the Museum. Thanks again.
Old 24th November 2010, 12:56
Department: Office / Administration

Last summer I made some pictures of the Friesland, i will put those on the dredgepoint.org site and when i'm finished will put the link here.

I am going to the Baggermuseum this Friday (26th of Novemner 2010), so I can pass a message (if the questin is still actual, of course)
Old 24th November 2010, 13:44
Department: Office / Administration

hereby the link:http://www.dredgepoint.org/equipment...land-steam-bld
Old 24th November 2010, 17:27

I can hear it clanking, banging and screaming (as the link's go over the Top Tumbler) from here.

From Grey Funnel to any Funnel, just show him/ me the money Mabel
Old 24th November 2010, 18:16

Duke

Many thanks for the link to your excellent photos of Friesland and for providing interesting information. From this I have found www.stoomvaart.nl/friesland.html that gives most of the information I was looking for.

There is information about our older working steam dredger in Gloucester, England, at www.gloucesterdocks.me.uk/vessels/nwmdredger.htm

Hugh
Old 9th April 2015, 20:53

Dredgers in my Blood

My father was a dredging Master with Westminster Dredging Company (formerly the Tilbury Contacting and Dredging Company) He served on both Bucket and Suction Dredgers in fact he took the SD Tilburian to the Mulberry Harbour in Arromanche shortly after D Day to ballast the blockships and to keep the approaches to the harbour(s) clear. Then on to Walcheren Island to fill up the holes in the dykes left by the Royal Engineers demolition teams. His last Bucket Dredger command was the Dredgewell. I never served with him but did do 3 years an the Danube Tugs as Chief Engineer servicing the Dredgers and towing the spoil hoppers. My first experience of dredgers was in 1938 when my mother and I spent a week on the Stewart Clan (I think) when Dad was dredging for the new harbour in Leith. Noisy old buggers when dredging. He told me that the worst job was ladderman especially when he was dredging in places like Harwich after the 39-45 conflict when unexploded ordnance was picked up in the buckets especially large bombs!!
Old 17th April 2015, 01:05
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1944 - 1953

good day duke.m.24th nov 2010.21:44.#8.only working steam bucket dredger.just reading this old post.great link and photo's.thank you for posting.regards ben27
Old 17th April 2015, 21:47

This is certainly not the only one in Europe: in Sliedrecht the steam driven bucket dredger "Friesland" is still in good condition and working!
Frans Lijmbach