cook book - Page 2 - Ships Nostalgia
16:30

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

cook book

User Tag List

Old 15th October 2011, 11:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridie View Post
Just add salt!!
Old 2nd December 2011, 14:10

So many Replies with the right answer

The instigator of this could not be the Pat McCardle of the Sig Ragne ?(Denholms)1974. if it is Pat hope you got your book it was because of you I got mine and went on till 1989 on a great variety of ships.
Despite all the wry comments from old hands Thre are some great cooks i owe a lot to. Benny Sommoza, Pat old Stan on the RFA Resoursce to name a few. Cheers to you all
Old 14th December 2011, 18:38
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Purser
Active: 1960 - 2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisor View Post
hi every body,in the late 60s i took my 2nd cook and bakers ticket i also had to buy a cook book to do the course.it has been so long now that i have lost my book but would like to get another. but, cant even remember the name of it.if anyone can remember it it would be most appreciated..thank you
Hi
Ceseranni and Kinton Practical Cookery was the initial book used
in the early 60,s. I used a 1 st edition 9for my 2nd cook/Bakers) on a course in Swansea College 1963 it was used to check out recipes. The book was to be used as a basis for City and Guilds.
nb I was on the cover of the 4th edition!!
I think they are up to 11 editions now.W,H Smith used to have them
Forbes
Old 14th December 2011, 21:34

cooks

dont some people like to moan even after all these years i once heard a quote saying people in the mn live like kings sunday dinner every day and xmas dinner on a sunday and its true i often wonder how many of those moaners got three meals a day and a supper nomatter what it consisted of
Old 15th December 2011, 12:03
Catering 1958 - 2007
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1958 - 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by guinnessmick View Post
dont some people like to moan even after all these years i once heard a quote saying people in the mn live like kings sunday dinner every day and xmas dinner on a sunday and its true i often wonder how many of those moaners got three meals a day and a supper nomatter what it consisted of
Made me sleep better when they had their moan

Ray
Old 17th July 2012, 09:13

Ceseranni and Kinton Practical Cookery
This book is available for .40p on amazon 17/7/2012
Attached Images
File Type: jpg C&K.jpg (16.0 KB, 49 views)
Old 17th July 2012, 09:59

There's a couple of things I'd like to say here. There's no mention of the financial constraints put on the galley perhaps because of company policy or perhaps because of skipper/ chief steward arrangements in foreign ports. Availability comes into it also. Then you have the galloping gourmets who go to sea from the shipyards and sea school , and deck officers are not immune either. Most, I would guess, at least in my era, never saw bacon and eggs on the same plate once a week never mind once a day.. Suddenly they are culinary experts and there conversation usually starts with,'on my last ship'. I could also mention that I have sailed with dodgy, deck hands, mates and engineers/firemen and assorted rogues and numpties in all departments. That's life! Wouldn't have missed it for anything. Ronnie ex cotton mill where I ate crisp butties every day for two years at lunch time except we didn't call it lunch. Don't know what it was called but on a good day it came with Heinz sandwich spread.Regards to you all.
Old 18th July 2012, 13:43

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by OllieUK View Post
Ceseranni and Kinton Practical Cookery
This book is available for .40p on amazon 17/7/2012
My copy had a green cover in the 60s, don,t know what edition that was. Unfortunately it was "borrowed" by a 2nd Cook and never returned!!!
Old 18th July 2012, 15:16
Department: Purser
Active: 1960 - 2000

Cookery book

I and and a few others used the 1st edition to test out recipes etc at Swansea College in late 1962. I actually ended up on the photo cover of the 4th Edition with a fellow Cook, Tony Groombridge.Photo was taken in the kitchens of the Llandarcy Oil Refinery Jan 1963
Old 18th July 2012, 20:08
Active: 1980 - 1993

still got mine will try and upload a photo.
Old 18th July 2012, 21:27
Department: Deck
Active: 1960 - 1990

Quote:
Originally Posted by jg grant View Post
There's a couple of things I'd like to say here. There's no mention of the financial constraints put on the galley perhaps because of company policy or perhaps because of skipper/ chief steward arrangements in foreign ports. Availability comes into it also. Then you have the galloping gourmets who go to sea from the shipyards and sea school , and deck officers are not immune either. Most, I would guess, at least in my era, never saw bacon and eggs on the same plate once a week never mind once a day.. Suddenly they are culinary experts and there conversation usually starts with,'on my last ship'. I could also mention that I have sailed with dodgy, deck hands, mates and engineers/firemen and assorted rogues and numpties in all departments. That's life! Wouldn't have missed it for anything. Ronnie ex cotton mill where I ate crisp butties every day for two years at lunch time except we didn't call it lunch. Don't know what it was called but on a good day it came with Heinz sandwich spread.Regards to you all.
could not agree with you more jg kev.
Old 19th December 2012, 07:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Kennedy View Post
And does this nautical cookery book have full instructions on the production of those rubber fried eggs we used to get on every ship I was ever on.
Pat
Surely not in Blue Flu Pat?
Mick S
Old 4th January 2013, 05:01
Active: 1969 - 1975

Hi Billieboy, I did my 2nd Cook and Bakers Cert Part One in the kitchen above the Poll office in Cardiff Docks in 1969, but as I was just qualified as a Chef I already owned a Sabatier collection which you could buy for 5 Pounds then and I also had a Granton Steak knife, my books were the Ceserani and Kinton Practical Cookery and Professional and Practical Cookery by Cracknell and Hauffman 2nd Edition, I was amused when I was told I had to sit the Board of Trade Cert as I was qualified but I must admit I learned some new stuff and made a few friends there, I also now hold my Chief and Ships Cook cert and the Higher cert of Nautical Cookery, great times and many an hour spent in The Ship Inn after school was out.
Old 7th January 2013, 22:41
Active: 1980 - 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by jg grant View Post
Spot on there jg unlike other departments the Galley staff were on show to all 3 times a day, every day, regardless of conditions. No place to hide if you got it wrong.
Old 10th January 2013, 05:57
Active: 1969 - 1975

You're right of course Kevjacko, no ship was perfect, and every ship had it's galley basher, whether it was because they expected more or they were just troublemakers I don't know, but I do know I had more than one confrontation ashore because they couldn't keep their mouth shut, however generally the crews were real men and could solve their problems without using their fists. I will however relate a story which I have told many times to illustrate the point you made and it started out on the when I was working by on the Ocean Transport prior to sailing on her. A third engineer came to the galley door with a slightly rusted and otherwisw filthy empty beans tin, he said "cookie can you put some soup in this for me" I said "hang on and I'll find you a pint mug" He said "no don't bother this'll do I'm not that fussy" so I filled his rusty and oily filthy tin . gave him some fresh bread which he broke with his oily hands and walked away happy as a pig in sh##t. When we sailed and were about a week out the officers steward came into the galley swearing and cursing about an officer who wanted him to completely change the tablecloth and reset all the cutlery which was set for eight persons, when I asked why, he said "because I spilled a tiny drop of tomato soup on the cloth", I went to the servery hatch to see who it was and lo and behold it was the same third engineer who came to the galley with the rusty tin.
The finale to this story is one that maybe I shouldn't repeat as it goes against my professional standards, but I couldn't help thinking of the justice of it, three days later I put Mulligatawny soup on the menu, and our third engineer had two bowls of it, what he didn't know was the soup contained plate powder, tasteless in the soup but it kept him on the toilet for two days, the steward was an old hand and he was not to be messed with. The chief Steward thought he had a stomach bug and confined him to his cabin and fed him only on Broths.

Vic.
Old 10th January 2013, 13:40
Catering 1958 - 2007
Active: 1958 - 2007

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicday View Post
You're right of course Kevjacko, no ship was perfect, and every ship had it's galley basher, whether it was because they expected more or they were just troublemakers I don't know, but I do know I had more than one confrontation ashore because they couldn't keep their mouth shut, however generally the crews were real men and could solve their problems without using their fists. I will however relate a story which I have told many times to illustrate the point you made and it started out on the when I was working by on the Ocean Transport prior to sailing on her. A third engineer came to the galley door with a slightly rusted and otherwisw filthy empty beans tin, he said "cookie can you put some soup in this for me" I said "hang on and I'll find you a pint mug" He said "no don't bother this'll do I'm not that fussy" so I filled his rusty and oily filthy tin . gave him some fresh bread which he broke with his oily hands and walked away happy as a pig in sh##t. When we sailed and were about a week out the officers steward came into the galley swearing and cursing about an officer who wanted him to completely change the tablecloth and reset all the cutlery which was set for eight persons, when I asked why, he said "because I spilled a tiny drop of tomato soup on the cloth", I went to the servery hatch to see who it was and lo and behold it was the same third engineer who came to the galley with the rusty tin.
The finale to this story is one that maybe I shouldn't repeat as it goes against my professional standards, but I couldn't help thinking of the justice of it, three days later I put Mulligatawny soup on the menu, and our third engineer had two bowls of it, what he didn't know was the soup contained plate powder, tasteless in the soup but it kept him on the toilet for two days, the steward was an old hand and he was not to be messed with. The chief Steward thought he had a stomach bug and confined him to his cabin and fed him only on Broths.

Vic.
Nice one, and not the first

Ray
Old 4th December 2018, 14:21

Good old plate powder, P&O lines anded up banning it on liners in the blate sixties because of constant outbreaks of 'wingers revenge ' amongst rude punters LOL