Lumiere - Page 2 - Ships Nostalgia
01:07

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Lumiere

User Tag List

Old 29th May 2017, 21:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannic View Post
First trip engine cadet 1977 joined Capetown. Stan Jones Chief, Des Smythe old man, 2nd was Maltese, 3rd was ex-P&O or Trident steam chief doing his motor time, Phil Douglas. Then I think Big John Hotham, 4th Tony Sheldrake, fiver Mike ? Then Ian May Chief, Leccy Tom from Ashington, other cadet Pete Paisley, Jane (Rogers?) deck cadet was there for a while also.
Luminetta a few years later before redundancy as 4th. Worst thing was Sharples Gravitrol purifiers. Should have stuck to milk!
Dannic
Hi,
My father was Stan Jones, I think he did a number of trips on the Lumiere. He retired in ;82 after the Falklands If I remember correctly. He sadly passed away in 2006.

Pete
Old 31st May 2017, 01:34
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1974 - Present

Hi, Stan Jones was a traditional Chief, and I was a cadet so never really got to know him. He never caused any grief as far as I know, he and the 3rd, Phil Douglas, used to often compare notes on steam recip jobs, as I recall! Sorry to hear he has passed away.
Dannic.
Old 31st May 2017, 13:24

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalklands View Post
Hi,
My father was Stan Jones, I think he did a number of trips on the Lumiere. He retired in ;82 after the Falklands If I remember correctly. He sadly passed away in 2006.

Pete
Not sure about the '82 ............... we were on Luminetta together in 1984
Old 31st May 2017, 13:58

Hi Dave
I think I was on there with you as 4th Eng - were you with Chris Guy?

Chris Heathcote
Old 31st May 2017, 16:23
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1969 - 1981

First sailed with Stan Jones as 4th on the Lucigen March 75 - August 75. We had just come into the anchorage at Bahrain and just got finished with engines and Stan and 2nd Pete Brennan said you can finish up and took off.

Engine telegraph then rang half ahead, what do you do. Went through the motions of starting the Doxford, with no joy. They both then appeared on the bottom plates, they had asked to bridge to ring the telegraph and had then shut off the starting air to the engine. They were watching from the middle plates to see what I would do.

Then again as 2nd on the Lumiere Jan 79 - April 79. Stan's biggest problem was lube oil consumption, don't know how many times I got turn to after the night log was dropped off, to find out where the lube oil had gone as the levels were changed form the noon log.

I was also off for a few days that trip with what ended up as a kidney stone. After three days the guys were begging me to turn to as Stan had donned boilersuit and was in the engineroom.
Old 31st May 2017, 22:03

Hi,
Thanks for your posts. I am probably wrong on his retirement date, as thinking about it, I think he retired just before I went to Uni in 1985. Where does the time go?

I just think it is nice that you remembered working with him and took the trouble to post a reply. Much appreciated! In my career (accountancy) I doubt anybody would have such a forum such as this to comment on old work colleagues!

Pete
Old 2nd May 2019, 14:41

Smile MT Lumiere

Well that takes me back. I was 4th Engineer on the Lumiere for one trip round the far east in 1974/5.

Philip Seaton
Old 2nd May 2019, 18:57

grt 14925.built 1972 by Eriksbergs.Gothenburg.renamed 1993 LEONA III.scrapped Alang 1995.