Steam Jet Air conditioning systems - Ships Nostalgia
17:21

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Steam Jet Air conditioning systems

User Tag List

Old 17th May 2019, 21:08
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1974 - 1982

Steam Jet Air conditioning systems

Are they now just a distant memory?
Old 17th May 2019, 21:21
Active: 1968 - 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burntisland Ship Yard View Post
Are they now just a distant memory?
I remember them ! heavy on bunkers and when they went wrong, could turn the accommodation into a sauna in minutes
Old 17th May 2019, 23:14
Varley Varley is offline   SN Supporter
Active: 1971 - 2011

(Steam ejector 'vacuum' above water) Texaco Denmark had the system I remember on by first trip as it failed. Later on I think Bridgeton had had it but was replaced as it took too much in the way of fuel.
Old 18th May 2019, 03:21
Active: 1970 - 1980

Yup! worked fine when the condenser was clean but soon fell away, had it on one ship that was going into dry dock in Bahrain the company wanted us to live on board during the docking, asked us how much shoreside steam would be required and could not believe the answer. Ended up being bused to and from an airconditioned hotel after two days on board without A/C
Jock
Old 18th May 2019, 18:39
Active: 1974 - 1982

Thanks all, from memory on the Danish class when the system was in the mood, was definitely an extra blanket on the bunk. When it did not work...……..
Old 10th July 2019, 06:09
Active: 1972 - Present

Sailed on a Wah Kwong tanker with this system. The vessel had very large accommodation for training cadets, although we never carried many. The system went "off" in the Perishing Gulf and we had to clean the condenser. Took us 8 hours of tube punching in shifts, due to the temps in the E.R. Of course lots of moaning from up top as it was "very hot" on the bridge and in the accomm. When we had it boxed up and running, I brought the accomm down to about 15 degrees C. Not a peep from anyone!
Old 10th July 2019, 13:45
Active: 1970 - 1980

We used to use a nasty chemical to clean the condenser only took a few hours circulation to clean. Probably banned today.
Jock
Old 10th July 2019, 14:07
Active: 1978 - 1990

Matco Avon was my only experience of it; not used much due to North Sea trading but when it was called for, it was pretty effective.
Old 10th July 2019, 15:23
Active: 1970 - Present

Gulf of Oman, sea temperature starts to rise, condenser looses a wee bit of vacuum and steam jet starts on its inexorable path to uselessness. By the time the Texaco Denmark gets to Ras Tan it had become a heater, and a bloody good heater. Hated the frigging things, bugger the ozone layer give me a bottle of Freon any day.
Old 10th July 2019, 16:43

As I recall the failure that occurred on my first trip was caused by the level controller of the 'vacuumed water' failing.

Makers gent sent out (I remember his whirling and clockwork psychrometer). All better.
Old 10th July 2019, 19:48
Active: 1968 - 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varley View Post
As I recall the failure that occurred on my first trip was caused by the level controller of the 'vacuumed water' failing.

Makers gent sent out (I remember his whirling and clockwork psychrometer). All better.
That's what happened to ours, on the "Shoush" An Irano\BP tanker. The float had fell off !
Old 11th July 2019, 02:40

I am not sure she was not mine in Denholms as (assistant) superintendent. So I must ask why didn't you put the bloody thing back on?

(Tochal was the other I think - the memory is not firm as I was already on my way 'home' wearing a more proper cap - Strange thing was that I knew Alvand quite well and I knew neither of 'mine' a jot until visiting Tochal off Cadiz as her IG fan motors were burning out.)
Old 11th July 2019, 07:50

As a cadet it was my job to whirl the Sling Psychrometer. Not because it was a difficult or arduous task but because the 3/E did not want to look like a *****. My instruction was to find out what RH the Chief wanted and make sure my readings were within a few degrees of his desired value.
I always listened to good advice.

Last edited by Engine Serang; 11th July 2019 at 09:03.. Reason: ***** means pr1ck
Old 15th July 2019, 08:22
Active: 1958 - 1966

Steam Jet Chiller .

I was Director of Engineering at a Metropolitan Hospital in Melbourne where a Steam Jet Chiller was installed and it worked like a clock. You must have an existing steam plant with higher steam pressure ( ~15-17 Bars ) and capacity to supply steam to the Steam Jet Chiller. Produced chilled water at 6 C and stored in a large chilled water tank then pumped around the hospital`s fan coils units.Small electrical load , low maintenance.
Old 15th July 2019, 11:01

I have no doubt your Chiller worked like a clock or as we would say, a wee sewing machine. Bolt it onto a bulkhead or weld it in the fridge flat and things have a habit of unravelling. And the dog eared manual looks as if it was printed in the basement of the tower of babel. Hours of innocent fun, hot sweaty fun.
Old 7th August 2019, 12:50
Active: 1963 - 2016

Re steam vacuum AC systems. I sailed on a couple of ships with them and regular cleaning of the condensers was a must. they apparently work well on shoreside with cleaner cooling water. We did have a problem on one ship. the boilers were shut down for extensive repairs. We jury rigged two water driven eductors to create a vacuum driven off the fire / GS pump it did cool the accommodation down, but not as efficient as the steam On stem we used an extra 6 or 7 tonnes of fuel a day in Port at sea the WHU at full speed was just enough for the job. If you reduced speed you needed to flash up the boiler. As the ship was a Tanker carrying heated crude. It was always logged as fuel for cargo heating on loaded passages.