Members no longer posting. - Page 4 - Ships Nostalgia
10:47

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Members no longer posting.

User Tag List

Old 28th June 2019, 11:08
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Navigation
Active: 1965 - 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Roger View Post
Thanks John ; Colonel Mike Hoare celebrated his 100 th birthday on St Paddies Day . 5 of his original wild geese attended along with family and friends . Derek
He had a brother [ Tommy ] who was Purser/ CStwd with Ellerman Lines
Old 6th September 2019, 20:36

Members no longer posting. Yes, I'm one of them I suppose, not that anyone would notice.
It is now around one year since I last logged on.
Reasons? It dawned on me that I was kidding myself that virtual mates are similar to people who one knows face to face. Members of any on-line forum who I have never met and will never meet. Folk who in the case of this site, unlike me, properly went to sea and know the life.
I am perhaps just a fraud and out of place. Happy to have a virtual chat and help out in any way I can, but not really part of it.
So, after my last cruise one year ago, which was likely my last ever cruise thanks to 'Management' having a different idea on her finances, I thought that I should keep clear of ships in a vain attempt to retain what is left of my sanity - Fat chance!

Thanks for listening, apologies for interrupting,

'Old Nobby-no-mates' - Mad landsman - Malcolm.
Old 6th September 2019, 21:09
Department: Engineering
Active: 1973 - 2009

I’d noticed your absence Malcolm. Hope you start posting again.
BRgds OJ
Old 6th September 2019, 21:20

My location
I wondered where you were, Malcolm. Virtual mates are worth having if we share interests - a visit here each day can be a rowdy experience or completely sober, but often enriching. In actual life, not much happens in our sleepy cul-de-sac except the exchange of surplus fruit and veg, and the helping out of folk even older than us. A visit here livens me up. I do miss posters when they are absent. Keep well and keep smiling through.

Amazing that our posts zoom into space and bounce back in a wink.
Old 6th September 2019, 22:54
Department: Deck
Active: 1952 - 1998

My location
[QUOTE=seaman38;2978681]

For Laker Captain,(and others) keep writing your about your memories and experiences. When at sea and ashore in the marine industry we considered our lives normal and accepted the dangers of our profession, such as hurricanes, cyclones, anti cyclones, Malacca Straits pirates, collisions, onboard fires and many more incidences as normal fare of our profession. When talking to people who say 'What did you do?' and you tell them some of your experiences, without embellishment, they find it interesting, as one Banker said to me, 'I thought my job was interesting, now I realise it was boring' he was not alone in those comments throughout the years.

I was at a small welding shop in our village and got talking to the owner. He was interested in what I had done as he had never been anywhere. I gave him a copy of my stories and he was fascinated. Guess there are still people who think going to sea is like the adds ofr cruise ships!!!
Old 7th September 2019, 02:46
Active: 1964 - 1970

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by spongebob View Post
I went back through my posts recently trying to find one I made about ten years ago and as I trolled through I was amazed at how many then frequent posters had dropped out.
Passing away, old age, boredom what ever , we are thinning our ranks as time becomes our leveller rather than other sites taking our fancy.
Those sea going days are long gone for many, I signed off my last ship almost sixty years ago, I have well nigh exhausted my stories but I will hang in here until the ship or I founder.
Keep posting .

Bob
Have to say that since becoming more involved with our historic paddle steamer I have been pretty slack on posting in SN. When I do visit it seems a lot of the Fire has gone out of it, but Iíll try to be more regular in my SN watching and, who knows, may be able to contribute once more. Hope all well with you Bob, when we gonna have you aboard for a trip?
Old 7th September 2019, 11:54

When I swallowed the anchor, I used to post on SN sometimes. But then I started to get bogged down with disagreements on things that were not important anymore (just like arguments in the ship's bar years ago). I stopped posting and started concentrating on my present not my past. But since the monthly alert has been sent out, I have started to take an interest again. Realistically the members are getting older and many have fallen of the perch so it is to be expected the traffic will slowly decline but hopefully not for a few years yet.
Old 7th September 2019, 15:50
Active: 1959 - 1969

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Landsman View Post
Members no longer posting. Yes, I'm one of them I suppose, not that anyone would notice.
It is now around one year since I last logged on.
Reasons? It dawned on me that I was kidding myself that virtual mates are similar to people who one knows face to face. Members of any on-line forum who I have never met and will never meet. Folk who in the case of this site, unlike me, properly went to sea and know the life.
I am perhaps just a fraud and out of place. Happy to have a virtual chat and help out in any way I can, but not really part of it.
So, after my last cruise one year ago, which was likely my last ever cruise thanks to 'Management' having a different idea on her finances, I thought that I should keep clear of ships in a vain attempt to retain what is left of my sanity - Fat chance!

Thanks for listening, apologies for interrupting,

'Old Nobby-no-mates' - Mad landsman - Malcolm.
Your no fraud just an honest landlubber who say's it as it is. keep posting my virtual friend we all have something to share, Being a Seaman I could not have done some of my work without shore people for example linesman, dockers, victualler's, bunker men, tug men and pilots, albeit some of the aforementioned had nautical experience. Fifty years I have been ashore with numerous experiences, but not adventures like the MN.Regards (C)
Old 7th September 2019, 19:59

Thanks for the kind words chaps. Maybe I should check in more often, again.
Old 7th September 2019, 20:19
Super Moderator

Malcolm

Good to see you back
Old 7th September 2019, 20:26
Active: 1970 - Present

I'm considering not posting as all I get from this and other sites is dogs abuse. Good bye.
Old 4th October 2019, 17:07

I have rejoined this ‘group’ today after an absence of many years to address some of the inaccuracies and untruths aimed a Capt. Bill Davies. I worked in consultancy with Bill from 2006 to his passing in January 2013. Throughout my time with Bill he was highly respected and brought a wealth of experience to the work we provided and an inspiration to all his colleagues. With respect to the alleged multiple posting under assumed identities/pseudonyms I would say that this was not the case, as Bill never had the need to resort to such deceit to bolster his arguments. Sure, Bill could be a little abrasive but that comes being confident in all thing’s nautical sessions and from someone who had reached the top of his profession.
What I can also confirm is that me, and two other colleagues (former Deck & Engineer officers ) used to occasionally pass our lunchtime break either supporting Bill or in general ‘stirring the xxit’ just for amusement. Seems a little juvenile now but, that is what happened. Consultancy can be boring!
Initially, Bill was unaware of our activities but, it did not take him too long before our cover was broken and we desisted. I used several pseudonyms and from memory, they were Dave Wilson, Ventry and Brian Locking (Shadowy!) and a few others I have forgotten. I cannot remember the multiple pseudonyms my colleagues posted under and I will leave that for them to clear their conscience should they feel the need to do so.
Anyway, there you have it. Hope this clarifies an ongoing myth.
DVB.
Old 4th October 2019, 17:36
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1953 - 1958

My location
I dropped off this site after reading a few times remarks addressed to me and others of "my class" and a couple of times my class be mentioned as "lower deck". and realized I wasn't an officer. a telegraph operator, or a mechanic, I was just a one time galley boy. However, this galley boy managed to rise to President and C.E.O. of a multi-national company, made enough money to retire at forty-seven and am eighty-two now (and still retired).

Rodney
Old 4th October 2019, 17:37
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1953 - 1958

My location
I dropped off this site after reading a few times remarks addressed to me and others of "my class" and a couple of times my class being mentioned as "lower deck". and realized I wasn't an officer. a telegraph operator, or a mechanic, I was just a one time galley boy. However, this galley boy managed to rise to President and C.E.O. of a multi-national company, made enough money to retire at forty-seven and am eighty-two now (and still retired).

Rodney
Old 4th October 2019, 18:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
I dropped off this site after reading a few times remarks addressed to me and others of "my class" and a couple of times my class being mentioned as "lower deck". and realized I wasn't an officer. a telegraph operator, or a mechanic, I was just a one time galley boy. However, this galley boy managed to rise to President and C.E.O. of a multi-national company, made enough money to retire at forty-seven and am eighty-two now (and still retired).

Rodney
Rodney I am sure you have enough class to rise above such remarks, a captain once said to me as a very young man 'I judge a man by what he is in himself, not by the uniform he wears, nor the certificates he holds, everybody without exception is important to the efficient running of my ship' I thought these were very wise words by a man who was respected by all.

Lets face it a certificate of competency shows you have reached an academic milestone in your chosen career, it is not a right of passage to becoming a font of all knowledge that some seem to think it is
Old 4th October 2019, 21:41

Another regular poster who seems to have dropped off the face of the Earth is Samsette.
Anyone heard anything of him?
Old 4th October 2019, 21:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodney View Post

Rodney
Rodney, as a one time deck boy I do sympathize with you, but I found that most posters on here are long past the stage of looking down on us lower deck subhumans, although there are one or two who think we all ate peas with a knife.
I do like your reference to telegraph operators.
Regards,
Pat
Old 4th October 2019, 22:47
Active: 1966 - 1983

Last I heard of Bill Davies (sorry Capt Bill Davies) he was alive and well and flying the Spanish flag.

BW

J
Old 5th October 2019, 09:34

#77 ML I was under the impression Omega Seamaster's never wear out..
Keep posting!
Old 5th October 2019, 09:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by R651400 View Post
#77 ML I was under the impression Omega Seamaster's never wear out..
Keep posting!
Nice one, but you can break anything if you try hard enough.
Old 5th October 2019, 10:27

Even something as small as an atom.. Keep ticking over if nothing else.
Old 5th October 2019, 21:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Kennedy View Post
...there are one or two who think we all ate peas with a knife.
Pat
I eat my peas with honey
I've done it all my life
It makes the peas taste funny
but it keeps them on the knife.
Old 5th October 2019, 21:33

I don’t read all on here, but haven’t seen anything from Spongebob for a while. (Hope just lack of observation on my part & apologies if that’s the case Bob. Brgds OJ).
Old 5th October 2019, 22:34
Organisation: Port Authorities
Active: 1966 - 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilJiver View Post
I donít read all on here, but havenít seen anything from Spongebob for a while. (Hope just lack of observation on my part & apologies if thatís the case Bob. Brgds OJ).
I think he was on site yesterday, some problem with his computer of late.
Old 5th October 2019, 22:41

Thanks Bill. Hope resolved soon.

Just seen the bath time story elsewhere Bob. (Not a pretty tale!)

Last edited by OilJiver; 5th October 2019 at 22:46.. Reason: lack of attn to detail