Alice L Moran / Amsterdam - Page 2 - Ships Nostalgia
06:54

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Alice L Moran / Amsterdam

User Tag List

Old 25th May 2010, 11:51

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.Nicholson View Post
Statesman/ Salvanguard .
I relieved Neville Morris in Djibouti airport where I was under arrest for illeagal entry. Neville was flying out to Singapore but brought my enty papers to the airport for Djibouti. So I was released. !!Salvanguard 4 engines 2 props. I was on her for 4 months. Whow a wonderful boat. I loved her or him, whatever. Seriously I did not want to go home. I was relieved by Martin Eve ? any one remember him.
Ch/Eng was Bob McFarlain
Met up with Martin and his wife Ann in Lagos a few years back. Still keep in contact by email and can send address to you if you PM me. Martin is still active and doing STS jobs as mooring master mainly in Med last I heard.
Rgds
Old 26th May 2010, 19:06
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1969 - Present

Quote:
Originally Posted by cueball44 View Post
she most likely is haunted after loseing PETE BOULTEN in the manner we did, total Fxxx up,i woke him up when we got to the salvage job, still gets to me after all these years, happend in 74, anyway i was off the ship has soon as i had the chance, i can still see cadet thompson crying with his head resting on the bulkhead,they were mates! W.HAWKER.
Before Pete Bolton deid the first death on Statesman was in Durban alongside Sugar wharf and his name was Steve Russel who's father was a trawler skipper out of Hull and Ray was right the rope jumped off the big steel stern rubbing band and caught him and he hit the back of his head. -nice guy as was as Pete Bolly.
Old 26th May 2010, 21:41

hi joe, a chap named 'JOHN DRYDEN' mentioned you the other day, he answered one of my post's on the 'UNKNOWN TANKER' thread, said he had a drink with you in durban in the early 70's , by the way the hull trawler skipper who's son died on the 'STATESMAN' was called 'JOE RUSSELL', win,'cueball44'.
Old 26th May 2010, 23:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe w View Post
Before Pete Bolton deid the first death on Statesman was in Durban alongside Sugar wharf and his name was Steve Russel who's father was a trawler skipper out of Hull and Ray was right the rope jumped off the big steel stern rubbing band and caught him and he hit the back of his head. -nice guy as was as Pete Bolly.
Hi Joe, Win, Quote from Hull Daily Mail, sorry no date.
Stephen Russell (18) of Anlaby received fatal injuries on Saturday in a 4ft fall from the bulwalk rail to the deck of the tug Statesman. His father, skipper Joseph Russell of the Hull trawler, Lord Nelson was told of the tragedy while his vessel was fishing off the Norwegian coast. He left the trawler yeserday and her owners, Hellyer Brothers Ltd., are flying him home today.
Stephen went to sea as a trawler galley boy. He was a sparehand when, early this year, he joined United Towing as a seaman.

Pete.
Old 27th May 2010, 15:46

thank's pete, his father probably thought his son was safer on 'the tug's' than 'trawler's,well that's cruel fate for you!, we have all lost friend's&family to the seagoing industry's, 'BUT WE STILL LOVE IT', if it's in your blood it's like a drug that we are addicted to,we will never get rid of it!,win,'cueball44'.
Old 27th May 2010, 18:06
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1969 - Present

Quote:
Originally Posted by cueball44 View Post
hi joe, a chap named 'JOHN DRYDEN' mentioned you the other day, he answered one of my post's on the 'UNKNOWN TANKER' thread, said he had a drink with you in durban in the early 70's , by the way the hull trawler skipper who's son died on the 'STATESMAN' was called 'JOE RUSSELL', win,'cueball44'.
Yes knew John Dryden was with Bank line and attended Trinity House same time as and John Linford last time I saw him he had just moved from Whitby to York working ashore.
I do remember drinking with him in Durban along with Les Fant as you know Durban was our salvage station and we got to know all the regular vessels into Durban and knew which ship bars were welcoming cor some Pi-- ups I can tell you.
Hope to see all you guys on the 03rd June.
Looking forward to it
Take care
JoeW
Old 30th November 2012, 07:02

Amsterdam scrapped

Hello,

The Amsterdam (IMO 6607525) has arrived 2012-04-27 in Alang.

best regards
Jan
Old 11th October 2019, 10:55
Organisation: Maritime Enthusiast
Department: Office / Administration
Active: 1967 - 2016

First time I read about ALICE L MORAN I too assumed she'd originally been a Navy new build.
Looking back at it, I now think what led me to that incorrect conclusion was hearing that she had an Almon A Johnson automatic towing machine that I mistook to be the same or an upgraded version of the primary towing equipment preferred (at that time) by the U.S. Navy for its fleet tugs and rescue/salvage ships. As is made clear in this thread, my assumption was wrong.
I subsequently found out the Moran organization were (and maybe still are?) Almon Johnson fans, presumably a consequence of having worked so extensively for the U.S. Navy throughout WWII. I understand Almon Johnson towing machines are still used on several Moran tugs.
Old 11th October 2019, 11:15

I went on several of the small Moran tugs in the 60s and managed to get on board ALICE M MORAN in Bermuda when she was quite new.

I am quite sure she was a 'commercial' vessel from the start. She was built in Japan. If the US Government had been involved that would have be a real problem with a Japanese built vessel!

On her voyage down to Bermuda for 'salvage station', I guess this would be about 1967 or 68, she went through some heavy weather and she missed the island by some 100 miles and so had to return and come back. A bit of embarrassment.

The ship was very 'bare'. No frills at all. As you say, all steel, no wood trim etc. I was just a youngster at the time, but she looked very 'cheap'. Nice looking ship bit it all seemed a bit 'over the top' with the streamlining. Not a patch on the ZWARTE ZEE! I prefer the earlier ELBE and CLYDE and better still, the OCEAAN class but the ultimate beauty was THAMES of 1938... (Dutch). Even more beauty... the Bustlers! :-)

Stephen