Ships Bell - Blakey Dawn - Ships Nostalgia
16:14

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Ships Bell - Blakey Dawn

User Tag List

Old 31st October 2019, 14:45
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1973 - 1986

Ships Bell - Blakey Dawn

Bit of a long shot but was talking to a friend over a drink in Aberystwyth Naval Club last night ( another ex Merchant Seaman) and he was given a brass Ship's Bell some time ago inscribed with the name "Blakey Dawn". He doesn't have any background to it (and neither did the person who gave it to him). He has tried googling it but no joy....anyone have any ideas?

Many thanks

Ivor
Old 6th December 2019, 14:00

Hadn't had any takers since my initial request so checked again with my mate and it transpires that the name on the bell is "Blakeney Dawn" ( not Blakey Dawn). Anyone got any ideas? Regards. Ivor
Old 6th December 2019, 14:27

Here is some info on a motor cruiser named Blakeney Dawn >
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled.jpg (172.8 KB, 19 views)
Old 6th December 2019, 14:27
Active: 1962 - 1979

Quote:
Originally Posted by IvortheEngine View Post
Hadn't had any takers since my initial request so checked again with my mate and it transpires that the name on the bell is "Blakeney Dawn" ( not Blakey Dawn). Anyone got any ideas? Regards. Ivor
https://lifeboatmagazinearchive.rnli...t+Gan&page=100

July 12 1962
Old 6th December 2019, 15:24

Seems your query has been answered, but for anyone who may acquire a bell there are a few clues to look for when trying to establish whether it belonged to a launch or cargo vessel. A launch bell will usually be in pristine condition. A cargo ships bell inside the bellmouth will have all kinds of marks on it either from a chipping hammer, marlin spike, or BP hammer, this is because the striker (clapper) had been removed for the sea passage and someone had forgotten to shackle it back on when coming into an anchorage, so the nearest tool was used to sound the bell on the inside (never on the outside) when sounding the chain in or out or aweigh. Sometimes the clapper was removed in port, as some stevedores lifted any thing that wasn't secured down.

Even small coasters of 1000 grt upwards the bell would weigh in the region of 10 kgs and have a bellmouth diameter of 30/33 cms.
Old 8th December 2019, 21:09

Thank you Wismajorvik and seaman38 - I'll pass all that info on to my mate on Wednesday when we old seadogs meet up in the Naval Club. I think that may well have solved one of life's little mysteries. Have a good Christmas. All the best.Ivor