Jackson Marine Corporation tugs/supply ship's - Page 4 - Ships Nostalgia
18:57

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Jackson Marine Corporation tugs/supply ship's

User Tag List
tugs

Old 17th March 2017, 19:59

The Godfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by Footitt's Folly View Post
Nick - I was the engineer on the tug Godfather. I remember on joining and putting to see in the face of a gale to stabalise a barge that was in danger of breaking free of its tow.

I also worked for Jackson Marine and a pipe vessel called the Hustler.
Hi, did you ever come into contact with another Godfather engineer by the name of Donny O'Hagen in the late 70s early 80s?

Steve Todd 1719070
Old 3rd May 2018, 21:10
Active: 1977 - 2013

Just found this story about Jackson Marine boats hope the previous posters are still around seeing as the last post was over a year ago.
This thread brought back lots of memories for me. I remember to JMC boats well. I was on site at Turmerics on Southtown Road and used to load up the Liberty Moon a couple of times a week with pipes etc for a revamp of the Hewitt platforms for Phillips 66. I took a trip out on her to the Hewett platform as there was some problem with the rigging for marine lifts versus installation lifts. The skipper was a big hulk of a german guy who I think had settled in Gt Yarmouth with a local woman.
The Forties Moon which was around in GY at the same time is still active in Stavanger Norway and is now called BB Lifter. Id seen it around Stavanger almost on a daily basis never realised it was the old Forties Moon ( I thought it might have been a modified Smit Lloyd vessel) as you can see it has been much modified quite a lot.
The posts about Peterhead in the old days brings back memories too. I was a Root & Toot hand in GY and also involve on a regular rotation on the BP Forties hook up - 30 days on and 3 days off in the late 70s- 8 man portakabins on the deck of the platform or you shuttled from the BP Kiwi that was permanently in the field.
In those days when you mobbed from Gt Yarmouth to Aberdeen it was local train from GY to Peterborough then the overnight sleeper to Aberdeen arriving at 0700hrs sometimes you hung around the heliport all day before you flew out and then if you were really unlucky you went straight on nights. Otherwise when you arrived in Aberdeen if there was no call for your trade or no available bed space on the platform or the Kiwi you were put up in the Douglas Hotel or the Queens Hotel in Aberdeen, usually the Brown & Root agent came to your hotel about 0900hrs to collect you if you were going offshore that day or to tell you that you had another day onshore,sometimes there could be up to 30- 40 guys in hotels for maybe anything from a couple of days to a couple of weeks. As you can imagine there was a great deal of alcohol consumption going on and there are many stories about that as well.Sometimes after a while you were glad to get the call to go offshore.No breathalysers at the heliport in those days.
Great days in lots of ways but never to return in todays Elf and Safety regimes.

http://www.shipspotting.com/gallery/...hp?lid=2734922

http://www.shipspotting.com/gallery/...hp?lid=1721594
Old 3rd November 2019, 08:43
Organisation: Maritime Enthusiast
Department: Office / Administration
Active: 1967 - 2016

Jmc tug betty

I saw a post on DosFrio.com dated 15 February 2019 that read, in part, as follows:
I was watching those talking heads on the "Five" on Fox. The question was asked what was the most expensive thing you ever broke.? Several came to mind. [text omitted] But the biggest was a 86 ft twin screw 5700 hp tug boat that I sank. I was just along for a ride when we were running anchors off the KP-1 pipe barge off India. The Captain had an urgent call from nature so he says "clutch in the port engine if we drift back to close the barge". No problem. So when the deck crew waved me away from the barge I clutched in the port and we moved away. BUT the pennant wire from the anchor we were picking up was under the stern. The port screw picked it up and about 10 seconds later in jerked the prop shaft right out of the boat. A eight inch hole in the engine room with no time to effect any damage control. About ten minutes later the Jackson Marine anchor handling tug "Betty" was sitting on the bottom in 130 ft of water. I did return with the laybarge two months later and refloated her.

In another post later that same day the gent added: I was the barge superintendent on the Brown & Root Derrick/Pipelay barge Kokan Pioneer I. We were installing the 20" parallel lines on the monstrous pipelay job off India. It was call Bombay High. The old gray matter is fading but if a recall we started in late 1975 and finished in mid 1976 with the last tie ins.

Based on the foregoing DosFrio.com posts, I now understand the following.
1) Jackson Marine Corp. had two tugs named BETTY in the Middle East (or in the Far East, did the tug mobilize to India from Singapore?), each of which sank albeit six or seven years apart while under charter to Brown & Root in support of an ONGC pipeline contract.
2) The first BETTY to sink was a 5700 hp 86 long tug that went down in 130 of water. The second BETTY (my BETTY) was a 4300 hp, 120 long tug that went down in ONGCs Bombay High South complex in something like 264 to 270 of water.
3) The first BETTY casualty occurred in 1975 or 1976 and was refloated by B&R two months after she sank. Were these the pipelines running from Bombay High (North) to Bombay? The second BETTY casualty occurred on 25 February 1982 and was recovered by McDERMOTT DERRICK BARGE No. 17 at least seven months later, after the 1982 SW Monsoon (approximately 15 May through 15 September each year). Unfortunately, I cant remember what was done with the recovered wreck of the tug. I think this B&R work must have been in connection with bringing BHS gas to the Hazira fertilizer complex in Gujarat. The removal of wreck agreement for the second BETTY was arranged between McDermott and Jackson Marine in Dubai in September 1982 and was to be carried out in the 1982 1983 Construction Season when DB17 (which had its own work to perform) could get to it.

If anyone remembers these events and can confirm or correct my assumptions or otherwise share his recollections of BETTY sinkings and recoveries, Id appreciate hearing from him. Thanks.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf BETTY pic .pdf (80.2 KB, 14 views)
Old 4th November 2019, 01:49
Organisation: Maritime Enthusiast
Department: Office / Administration
Active: 1967 - 2016

Jmc tugs tow db27 from france to dubai, 1983

Anyone recall JMC tugs MISTER JOHN H and MISTER HAROLD towing McDERMOTT DERRICK BARGE No. 27 from La Ciotat, France (about 21 miles East of Marseilles), to Dubai?

Background: In the early 1980s, McDermott wanted to increase the maximum lift capacity in its Middle East and India Area from 800st 1000st to a 2000st plus level. It would do this by converting one of its 420' x 120' x 28' LB22 class center slot lay barges into a combination derrick/lay barge at its first opportunity.
The January 1981 decision of Bunduq Company Ltd. to use water injection to maintain reservoir pressure of its El Bunduq oil field, located on the border of Abu Dhabi and Qatar, provided McDermott just such an opportunity.
McDermott and NPCC collaborated to perform an EPCI contract that included a central complex comprised of a living quarters platform (LQP), water injection platform (WIP), central collector platform (CCP), gas sweetening platform (GSP), and flare stack. As I recall, it was the weight of the LQP topsides module, to be fabricated by subcontractor Hitachi Zosen, that energized the lay barge conversion project. As soon as Bunduq awarded the water injection contract to NPCC/McDermott, McDermott ordered an AmClyde model 76 derrick crane and selected the LB27 for conversion. LB27 was delivered to a shipyard (I dont recall its name) in La Ciotat, France, for the schedule-critical conversion. Senior Superintendent - Structures, Virgil Potter, was deputed to assist McDermott E & M personnel called in from New Orleans. Time was of the essence: the tow (via the Suez Canal) had to commence around 10 12 March 1983 if they were to avoid impacting the Bunduq project.
By mid-February 1983 fixture of a suitable tow vessel had risen to the top of the hit list. Tenders from established blue water towing and salvage tug operators were unresponsive: some units were not available; others were free but too distant from La Ciotat. The available and well positioned ocean-going tugs were too expensive and the market was such that their owners would not negotiate price or terms and conditions. Jackson Marine, whose Great Yarmouth office had been sent an invitation to tender, contacted JMC in Dubai and they worked together to swiftly to close a deal for lump sum towage of DB27 using two 4000 bhp tugs generating an aggregate total of 104 tons of continuous bollard pull.

From my perspective, the enterprise was successful inasmuch as DB27 was delivered to us in Dubai in time for manning, outfitting and rigging her up for McDermott's Bunduq work. Bunduq was satisfied, it ended up recommencing production in November 1983 and commencing water injection in January 1984.

Anyone remember that towage? If affirmative, is there a comment to make or a story to share? Thanks.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Mister John H & Mr. Harold.pdf (184.0 KB, 9 views)