Galley Location - Page 2 - Ships Nostalgia
00:20

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Galley Location

User Tag List

Old 5th November 2019, 16:29
Organisation: Other Merchant Fleets
Department: Engineering
Active: 1960 - 1976

The US Flag ships I sailed had a night cook/baker who worked midnight - 0800. He was like a short order cook who made anything one wanted for breakfast, when those on the 12-4 got off @ 0400. He prepared 0800 breakfast for the whole crew, served by the day shift; along with baking fresh breads and rolls.

Greg Hayden
Old 5th November 2019, 21:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry t. View Post
The ships cook, wee Billy, all off 4 foot eleven off him, regimental cook ex. Irish Guards,
More likely Welsh Guards - During WW2 they famously abandoned the height restriction. As my father used to call them: 'little dark haired men from the mines'.
Old 6th November 2019, 00:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by kewl dude View Post
The US Flag ships I sailed had a night cook/baker who worked midnight - 0800. He was like a short order cook who made anything one wanted for breakfast, when those on the 12-4 got off @ 0400. He prepared 0800 breakfast for the whole crew, served by the day shift; along with baking fresh breads and rolls.

Greg Hayden
I wish we had one of them Greg. All the ships I was in, the galley was in lockdown throughout the night. The cook would leave a tray of cold cuts and salad out in the sailors mess which was all gone within half an hour.
I once visited an American ship in Kobe, it was called Golden Bear, and I was stunned by the amount of grub available during the night, plus endless coffee and a Coca Cola machine. Amazing!
Regards
Pat
Old 6th November 2019, 07:27

I meant to but forgot to mention the cookies usually oatmeal and chocolate chip. They were stocked in large glass cookie jars with the lid on a slant in the galley help yourself.

Greg
Old 6th November 2019, 16:38

Now I come to think of it, every cargo ship I was in had the galley on the Port side. I wonder now if there was a particular reason for this.
Old 6th November 2019, 19:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Kennedy View Post
Now I come to think of it, every cargo ship I was in had the galley on the Port side. I wonder now if there was a particular reason for this.
Were the ships built by the same yard? or belonging to same company

I have found that with sailing with different companies but the ships built in the same yard the accommodation layout rarely changes. Most of the ships I sailed on had the galley on the centre line at aft end of accommodation, with deck crews and P O's messrooms adjacent (across the alleyway) on the starboard side and engineroom crew on port side

Food for thought
Old 6th November 2019, 21:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaman38 View Post
Were the ships built by the same yard? or belonging to same company

I have found that with sailing with different companies but the ships built in the same yard the accommodation layout rarely changes. Most of the ships I sailed on had the galley on the centre line at aft end of accommodation, with deck crews and P O's messrooms adjacent (across the alleyway) on the starboard side and engineroom crew on port side

Food for thought
Well lets see.
I have 64 ships in my discharge book. 10 of them were repeats, 3 were tankers, 2 were ore carriers, 2 were passenger liners, and 2 were coasters.
That leaves 45 general cargo ships. 26 were Blue Funnel, mostly built to very similar designs. The remaining 19 were various companies built by various yards, and on all of these 45, I am fairly sure the galleys were on the port side. The only ones I am uncertain of are the Vives (Mac Andrews), Cotopaxi (PSNC) Essequibo (Royal Mail) Tactician(Harrisons)and Waipawa, (SSA).
Regardless of where the galley was sited, the very worst feeder was the Cotopaxi.
Old 7th November 2019, 00:49
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Active: 1979 - 1998

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by kewl dude View Post

Greg Hayden
One of the first jobs was to fabricate duplicate keys. Leave the wives to send bacon sandwiches down to the ER on 12-04 watch! Then there was the "geyser", used to boil eggs to accompany the bacon sandwiches........!

All Galleys, port side a la Pat Kennedy, even in modern vessels.

The fly in the soup were the Norwegian RoRos. Microwaveable meals in trays, in the mess. Then again, they ran 18 crew total compared to 28 on Blue Funnel (80's).

Rgds.
Dave
Old 7th November 2019, 01:15

Cooking hot dogs wrapped in tinfoil on the steam air ejectors - bare (not insulated) forged steel shapes. External reinforcing in the shape of ribs the long way. Just lay the dogs in the top valley. Did not take long.

Greg
Old 8th November 2019, 01:55

Galleys

I have wondered from time to time about this question. Memory dims and I ask myself where were the officer saloons on the Wave and Tide class RFA tankers.
Grateful for a little enlightenment.
Thanks