"Ship & Travel by B.I." pocket knife - Ships Nostalgia
11:21

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

"Ship & Travel by B.I." pocket knife

User Tag List

Old 4th June 2015, 01:28

"Ship & Travel by B.I." pocket knife

My mother-in-law recently died and in her possessions was a pocket knife with "Ship & Travel by B.I." on the side. I've no idea how she aquired it, her side of the family had no connection to the sea, although I was at sea for 27 years, but I never gave it to her.

Thought I'd post a photo of it here to perhaps stir forgotten memories of ex BI personel.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bi-knife.jpg (53.0 KB, 124 views)
Old 4th June 2015, 03:00
Forever a Seaman
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Navigation
Active: 1956 - 1973

My location
Thanks for posting that EggBram, it certainly brings back memories.
On many of the BI non passenger ships these items, that were usually only available on passenger ships, were available for purchase by crew members.
Old 11th July 2015, 23:28
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Navigation
Active: 1947 - 1986

To be rather pedantic, the tag "Ship & Travel BI" was seldom,if ever, used on BI souvenir items sold on our passenger ships, but was used on a number of items which varied over the years as "handouts" given to cargo shippers, travel agents and other officials involved with the freight and pax side of the company eg pens, paper-knives, and other office accoutrements. Souvenirs on sale to pax tended to incorporate the BI funnel and/or the house flag and were of a more declarative nature e.g. teaspoons, ashtrays, nut-crackers, playing-cards.etc,etc

Tom
Old 31st January 2017, 09:19
Organisation: Royal Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1991 - 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by EggBram View Post
My mother-in-law recently died and in her possessions was a pocket knife with "conejo valley tourism services" on the side. I've no idea how she aquired it, her side of the family had no connection to the sea, although I was at sea for 27 years, but I never gave it to her.

Thought I'd post a photo of it here to perhaps stir forgotten memories of ex BI personel.
Hi
thanks for sharing experience.
Old 2nd February 2017, 11:43
Nursie

My location
Welcome to the site vella12. I hope you enjoy it but please be warned - it can become addictive!