Jackson Marine Corporation tugs/supply ship's - Page 3 - Ships Nostalgia
04:35

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Jackson Marine Corporation tugs/supply ship's

User Tag List
tugs

Old 6th January 2012, 15:19
Organisation: Maritime Enthusiast
Department: Office / Administration
Active: 1972 - Present

Just discovered this thread. What a trip down memory lane. There are a lot of very capable mariners (and great people) identified herein! best wishes to all for the New Year. Regards, Darce Kullman
Old 6th January 2012, 23:00

old pals.

Hi Darce, never thought I'd see you on this great web site. Have just been on skype for the past 45 minutes talking to Capt Arnie Kelso,he will,no doubt be giving you a shout in the very near future.We keep in touch on a regular basis and still keep an ear open for news of ex employees of JMC.Surprisingly there are a few of us still out there as are the boats we sailed on. Using various web sites, I have managed to trace most of the boats I'd worked on and the companies who now own them.You can, if you wish,can catch me on skype or Email me at [email protected]. Take care,regards Phil Hunt. Happy New Year.
Old 30th January 2012, 17:47
Organisation: Tugs
Department: Deck
Active: 1956 - 1979

george wells junior.Hallo Capt Kelso, I remember you

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnie18k View Post
Just want to give a shout-out to any JacMac personnel that may remember me. My name is Arnie Kelso and I was in the North Sea operation from November 1974 to November 1978. I spent most of my time in the Ekofisk field on the Mister Robert (my first command) I still can't believe they would turn an almost 24 year old kid loose on a tug in the North Sea. I worked with Graham Provis(best boathand I've ever seen), Charlie Downs, Ivan Harper, Stan Shelby, Dewey Aaron, Levy McKinney, Phil Hunt(best Chief Engineer ever), Amerigo Barbosa, Roy Davis, Joe Harper, and many others. We served the Brown and Root Barge 279 most of the time, but occasionaly helped the Bar 297 when they were having trouble retrieving anchors. I also worked in the Persian Gulf prior to the North Sea (Hello Steve) and in the Bay of Campeche after the North Sea...then on to Singapore/Brunei. My entire career was with Jackson (in one form or another) from 1972 until 1987. Cheers to all
hallo Capt Kelso.In late 1973 or early 1974 you came aboard MV Margaret Root,where I was mate at the time. You had just graduated from a naval training college in USA, I believe.we were based in Bahrain JMC for a time, and my wife Anne was on holiday there.I still have a foto of you on the bridge of *Margaret Root. All the best and congratulations on your career so far.
Old 14th February 2012, 11:51
Organisation: Other Merchant Fleets
Department: Navigation
Active: 1965 - Present

Jackson Marine tugs

I first came to the North Sea in the deliveries of MR. CHARLIE, MR. JIM, and MR. PETE. in '76 or so. I stayed on and worked on the supply boats VAGABOND, LIBERTY MOON and NORTHERN MOON. Then I went to the tugs and worked the GODFATHER and MR. DARBY and DR. JACK.

I went to Mexico and worked there for four years. Became Port Captain and later Marine Superintendant for Jackson Marine down there for four years.

Went through the Gulf Fleet aquisition and later the Tidewater aquisition while we were in California, Hawaii and Alaska, and then left after fifteen years or so with them.

Don't know where the old crews are, though I speak to Mr. Ray Ivie from time to time. I'm quite pleased to see posts on here about those boats.
Old 9th April 2012, 18:10

Here is photo of Crosby Enterprise ex: Godfather. she is still working in the Gulf of Mexico along with many of her sisters.
http://www.shipspotting.com/gallery/...hp?lid=1391809

And thanks to Crosby Tugs,Inc. many of these old girls have been refurbished and are still working the oilfield.
http://www.crosbytugs.com/overview.htm
Old 1st June 2012, 23:12

I was a shift Electrician on the Kokan Pioneer One [KP1] for the entire duration it was in New Zealand, Maui A, sailing with it to Singapore, via Labuan, for dry dock, then on to the Bombay High Project.
Photograph taken in Golden Bay, just after the jacket arrived from Japan, and suffering some damage in a typhoon on the tow, which we had to go up and repair.
What happened to the KP1, I heard it capsized at Walvis Bay?
I have the KP1 general arrangment drawing and chart for the New Plymouth - Singapore tow, plus many photographs.
Remember 'Mister Fred', 'Marshall D', 'Asian Moon' and Tide Marine supply boats
Marshall D towed KPI to Singapore, and repaired her Generator Electrics on the way.
KP1 lost her Japanese Electric Crane in drydock and replaced by another from a Brown & Root Barge -
KP1 suffered a main switchboard fire off Bombay with pipe on board, being laid, calm weather however and 3 days later we were back at work, with power, water and galley restored.
Old 15th January 2013, 16:25
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1963 - 2013

[QUOTE=Eric Purser;575839]I first came to the North Sea in the deliveries of MR. CHARLIE, MR. JIM, and MR. PETE. in '76 or so. I stayed on and worked on the supply boats VAGABOND, LIBERTY MOON and NORTHERN MOON. Then I went to the tugs and worked the GODFATHER and MR. DARBY and DR. JACK.

I went to Mexico and worked there for four years. Became Port Captain and later Marine Superintendant for Jackson Marine down there for four years.

Went through the Gulf Fleet aquisition and later the Tidewater aquisition while we were in California, Hawaii and Alaska, and then left after fifteen years or so with them.

Don't know where the old crews are, though I speak to Mr. Ray Ivie from time to time. I'm quite pleased to see posts on here about those boats.[/QUOTE

Eric,

Is Ray Ivie still alive ? last time I met Ray was in his office in Rotterdam,a long long time ago.I did know that he had a supply boat/tug of his own.

Kindest regards

Gavin D Elder(retired) Port Of Peterhead,Scotland
Old 13th April 2013, 05:49

It is with a sad heart that I post this. A fine person and a great mariner Eric Purser passed away on April 11, 2013.
Old 5th July 2013, 20:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by gde View Post
Way back in the early 70s I was the assistant manager of North Sea Marine Rig Services which was part of the BOC group at it's Peterhead base.
At this time the BP Fortie's field as well as the Frigg field was being built up.
During this time we supplied anything from a simple sewing needle to an anchor and chain,24 hour's a day,7 day's a week.I was also the base manager for Buchan and Johnston/MP Galloway of Leith (they were the main deck/engine/galley ship's stores merchant's for the Ben Line.)We were a very small staff who looked after the daily need's of Brown and Root,Saipem,ETPM,
as well as all the tug/supply boat companies such as Gulf tug's,Theriot,Jackson Marine Corp,as well as many other's.One company who stood out was Jackson Marine,with the Moon supply boats and the tugs such as the Godfather,Mr John H,Mr John H etc.Those ship's were booze free,no drink allowed and were in fact the best maintained fleet in the North sea.With some of the best British,German and American crew's I have ever worked with,they were magic.

Have any member any photo's of either a Moon boat or perhap's my favourite The Godfather (named after the famous film of that name) I would also like to push my luck and perhap's maybe someone has a photo of the B&R lay barge Hercules or maybe a J. Ray McDermott lay barge or my gigantor lay barge the Saipem lay barge Castoro.

The North Sea oil story started from the port of Peterhead and I still have good memories of the first pipe supply boat's to enter Peterhead harbour coming in stern first !!!! The Pecos and the Cimarron both from Texas USA.O' the happy memorie's.

Perhap's you may let me know.

Gavin Elder
PETERHEAD.
Hi Gavin, my father was a skipper for Jackson Marine in the 1970's. His name was Malcolm Breach. He worked out of Great Yarmouth. I know he skippered the Forties Moon, Ekofisk Moon, Mr Richard and probably others. He worked with a friend of his called Mickey Peak from Lowestoft. Do you recall him?

Regards Steve
Old 5th July 2013, 20:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie Gardin View Post
It is with a sad heart that I post this. A fine person and a great mariner Eric Purser passed away on April 11, 2013.
Where did Eric come from? My dad worked with an American named Eric in the 70's. I can't recall Eric's surname back then as I wa sonly 10 and he was probably mid 20's. He had a wife called Louise back then.

Regards Steve
Old 6th July 2013, 06:12

Eric was from California.
Old 6th July 2013, 13:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by mybighonda View Post
Hi Gavin, my father was a skipper for Jackson Marine in the 1970's. His name was Malcolm Breach. He worked out of Great Yarmouth. I know he skippered the Forties Moon, Ekofisk Moon, Mr Richard and probably others. He worked with a friend of his called Mickey Peak from Lowestoft. Do you recall him?

Regards Steve
Hi Steve,

Iam quite sure that if your dad was sailing out of Peterhead back in the 70s I would have met him,sadly I suffered a stroke which left me with poor memory.What I can remember is that the guys who sailed with Jackson Marine on board the supply boats or tugs were very experienced and kept their boats spik and span and no booze.The guys from Gt Yarmouth etc had a good knowledge of the North Sea.I spent many happy times with the Jackson Marine guys,just wish I could see a Moon boat again,cheers and all the best Steve.

Gavin
Old 7th July 2013, 09:53

Hi, I sailed out of Peterhead for quite awhile in the mid 70s, at times when I was chief engineer with Theriot, to join the Martha Theriot. In fact we had to bring her in for mods to the steering gear hydraulics, the Captain at the time was Raligh Sherbert (a coon ass) a great guy and one of the best tug boat captains I have ever sailed with, I digress.
Most other times it was when I had switched companies, I joined Jackson Marine as chief Engineer of the Mister Andre, had to bring her to the dock once for major repairs to the towing winch. When crew changes took place off shore, prior to shipping out on a supply boat, yes one of the moons, we used to stay over at a guest house called the Deralach? the landlady was very strict, the doo was locked at 22.00 hrs precisely. On one occasion the supply boat bringing in 10 persons was late arriving at the dock, needless to say we were locked out of our digs. The police wouldn't put us up so we had to spend the night on the floor of Arunta( BOC) office. Had the best breakfast ever at mission to fishermen Peterhead. Happy times. Phil Hunt.
Old 7th July 2013, 18:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Hunt View Post
Hi, I sailed out of Peterhead for quite awhile in the mid 70s, at times when I was chief engineer with Theriot, to join the Martha Theriot. In fact we had to bring her in for mods to the steering gear hydraulics, the Captain at the time was Raligh Sherbert (a coon ass) a great guy and one of the best tug boat captains I have ever sailed with, I digress.
Most other times it was when I had switched companies, I joined Jackson Marine as chief Engineer of the Mister Andre, had to bring her to the dock once for major repairs to the towing winch. When crew changes took place off shore, prior to shipping out on a supply boat, yes one of the moons, we used to stay over at a guest house called the Deralach? the landlady was very strict, the doo was locked at 22.00 hrs precisely. On one occasion the supply boat bringing in 10 persons was late arriving at the dock, needless to say we were locked out of our digs. The police wouldn't put us up so we had to spend the night on the floor of Arunta( BOC) office. Had the best breakfast ever at mission to fishermen Peterhead. Happy times. Phil Hunt.
Phil,

Was the hotel you were locked out of on the main street called Queen Street ? I can give you more info as I think I knew the owners.Also I remember Theriot very well.The port captain was a proper gentleman,but I cannot remember his name.I also remember the Arunta building (now a cold store/pelagic factory).Yes happy days at the start of the North Sea oil.
Old 7th July 2013, 19:26

gde, hi, checking my 1974 diary, I arrived P'Head 1st June sailed aboard the Pacos to join the tug Chippy T (Theriot) we were working with the Harema crane barge puitting down the Forties bravo platform. At that time the port Capt was a certain Keith Brentano. all this is 39 yrs ago, so my facts may be a little off the mark. I Think the guest house was on Queen St, I do know fo afact that the interior was full of antiques and that the landlady would no serve us
steak(too expensive)which really miffed the American skippers.
I worked out of P'Head for some time, and will always remember the imposing site of the Jail when coming in by road from Aberdeen, it was usually raining.
I also remember an hotel run by a guy called Mr Ferrari who was able to extend his opening times to suit the coming and goings of the offshore crews.
Old 8th July 2013, 10:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Hunt View Post
gde, hi, checking my 1974 diary, I arrived P'Head 1st June sailed aboard the Pacos to join the tug Chippy T (Theriot) we were working with the Harema crane barge puitting down the Forties bravo platform. At that time the port Capt was a certain Keith Brentano. all this is 39 yrs ago, so my facts may be a little off the mark. I Think the guest house was on Queen St, I do know fo afact that the interior was full of antiques and that the landlady would no serve us
steak(too expensive)which really miffed the American skippers.
I worked out of P'Head for some time, and will always remember the imposing site of the Jail when coming in by road from Aberdeen, it was usually raining.
I also remember an hotel run by a guy called Mr Ferrari who was able to extend his opening times to suit the coming and goings of the offshore crews.
Hi Phil,
Many thanks for your reply.The guest house you stayed in was the Dalericht which was owned by the late Mr and Mrs Albert Reid,they were my late brother Jimmy's father and mother in law.She was a tough nut at first but as the years went by she became a wee bit more people friendly.My brother Jimmy ran the Bayview Hotel round the corner which is still owned by his family but sadly is now closed.
Ronnie Ferrrari owned the Caledonian Hotel he also co owned Peterhead Engineering now closed.He is still living but is confined to a wheelchair and lives in Aberdee.Thanks
Old 26th September 2013, 22:05

Hello, recently found forum. Brings back some great memories.
My name is Colin Hutton. I was on the Forties Moon and Northern Moon in 1977/78. Captain on the forties moon was Herbert Patz, I think that is the right spelling, great man. I came from Dartford, everyone used to call me a londoner! When I joined forties moon, it was a survey boat. Went to India first year then America in the second. My mate was on the Viking Moon, Oliver Neilson from Woolongong, Australia if I remember rightly. Does anyone remember me, I have photos of forties and northern moon, and some of the pipe lay barges we accompanied to Bombay.

Last edited by Colin Hutton; 26th September 2013 at 22:08..
Old 12th October 2013, 14:11

Cabin layout / deck layout

Would any of you gentlemen be kind enough to draw up a cabin layout for me.
I have a Mr Darby tug model and like to know what the cabin layout was like.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CIMG6375.JPG (193.2 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG6378.JPG (181.2 KB, 11 views)
Old 14th December 2015, 03:11

Mister Jean & Mister John H.jpgSaw The Mister Jean, now The Crosby Patriot and The Mister John H, now The Crosby Freedom. The Mister Jean is being cut and The Mister John H waits it's turn.
Old 14th December 2015, 12:10

It's very sad to see the old boats being cut up, I was approx. 12 yrs with JMC some of which was spent aboard the Mr John H, however the most of my time was on Mister Andre in the North Sea. I still keep in touch on a regular basis with Capt Arnie Kelso who I last worked with in Mexico. I finished my time on the Bulan Malai and Bulan Mashore working off Brunei. Phil Hunt.
Old 16th December 2015, 00:51

My brother worked for Jackson Marine for quite a few years. His name was Brian Jordan, anybody remember him? Sadly he crossed the bar in Mumbai a number of years ago.
Old 16th December 2015, 03:22

I worked with Brian in the mid 70's. I worked a couple of hitches on a boat that he was the Captain on. He had some great stories about his life working on the boats. I saw in some ones post on here about Brian's passing. I liked Brian and enjoyed working those short couple of hitches with him.
Old 21st March 2016, 23:04
Organisation: Maritime Enthusiast

True Grit and Carl Bryant

Hello all,
I am the grandson of Carl Bryant. My son and I were researching Carl's travels with Jackson Marine and the True Grit as a learning experience for his 4th grade class. Carl left us with a few items and even fewer pictures (most were destroyed in Hurricane Rita). If there is anyone with information or pictures, please share as most of what I have was told to me as a child. Carl mentioned many other ships in the JMC Fleet but for some reason the True Grit was the one he spoke of most - I'm just not sure why.
Old 24th March 2016, 14:36

True Grit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobgs3 View Post
Hello all,
I am the grandson of Carl Bryant. My son and I were researching Carl's travels with Jackson Marine and the True Grit as a learning experience for his 4th grade class. Carl left us with a few items and even fewer pictures (most were destroyed in Hurricane Rita). If there is anyone with information or pictures, please share as most of what I have was told to me as a child. Carl mentioned many other ships in the JMC Fleet but for some reason the True Grit was the one he spoke of most - I'm just not sure why.
Hi, I have a few pictures of the True Grit, I took them in the early 80s out in the North Sea. I have posted a couple of the on Face book and will endeavor to post them on this site. Phil Hunt.
Old 7th July 2016, 16:20

Hi, I worked for Halliburton as an offshore operator in the Persian Gulf in the late 70's, on boats crewed by Jackson Marine.

The boats I worked on were Gwen, Sirius, Midnight Moon, Arctic Moon, Halliburton 219 and Halliburton 220.

I wish I could remember all the names and boats they went with - possibly Herman was captain on 220, Gunter on 219, an ex Pakistan navy man on Sirius and a Filipino Ricard on Midnight Moon. Great crews - both JMC and Halliburton.

I was on Sirius when divers recovered a body from Gwen after it sank.