Chief & Ships Cook/ Ships Cook - Page 3 - Ships Nostalgia
20:19

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Chief & Ships Cook/ Ships Cook

User Tag List

Old 25th October 2015, 10:49
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1980 - 1993

Yep, twas hard being a ships cook, you could please some all the time, all some of the time, but never all at all times. On show 3 times a day every day, unlike any other rating on board, you were only as good as your next menu.
Never resorted to the addition of bodily fluids to the food of folk who upset me, but guilty of many a practical joke to those who did.
Old 28th January 2016, 20:30

My location
I was with Denholms and i was a chief Cook or Doc preferred Doc though, also one of my 2nd cooks was Stephan j serva Dei and i still keep in touch with him in capetown via Skype.
Old 28th January 2016, 21:07
Active: 1954 - 1981

there were good ones bad ones. limited to what they had to work wit mince and dumplings were the main thing i liked hard to mess that up but some scueeded.
Old 29th January 2016, 01:20

As I have mentioned before John Cole on the Parthia was one hell of a good cook his chicken pot pie was a meal to savour, as a deck boy on the British Supremecy early 1954 the clock wwas a Polish man who called everyone Billy he made great meals out of Port Said spuds that were like bloody golf balls along with frankfurters ,the second cook was I think called MC Cabe his bread was heaven and along with melon jam I was in seventh heaven,many say that B.P. We're bad feeders but after 9months of Indefatigable food to me any food was great ,the worst cooks always seemed to be the ones on coasters most were pi.. heads who went ashore to buy stores as then we had to pay for our own food and as I have posted before one guy went ashore with the food money and came back pi..ed with a bag of carrots and before any of you comment we had good eyesight already.Ships cooks good or bad bless them And nasty skippers never let me down I was never poisoned and always came home safe.sometimes thinner rarely fatter,and ready to do it all again,oh how I wish I could do it now.
Old 6th February 2017, 23:58
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1950 - 1960

Chief and Ships Cook

When I got my ticket in 1955 the requirements were to be aged at least 20 years of age and have a years experience in a galley they were short of cooks so they were not too strict on the experience part I had 6 months as assistant cook and claimed one of my catering boy trips was in the galley which was not true I was in the pantry. After qualifying I did 6 months as 2nd cook and baker and 6months on a single cook on a coaster before sailing as Chief and ships cook In a 3 man galley. Ron Wilson AKA cassas
Old 23rd March 2017, 09:57

My second ship after 4 months was the oil tanker Tudor Prince . We eventually ended up in NZ where the Chief Cook was sent home for medical reasons. My mate 2nd cook/baker took the Docs job and I took his, we split the old docs wages between us, my pay from 16 a month to 38. For the next 2 months on the NZ/Australia coast was hard graff peeling cooking and baking,,he was good . Midnight : finished in the pool fully clothed. We end up broken down on the barrier reef, so we made Singapore where we had 3 weeks engine repairs, my mate found the ladies more attractive than the job, so I ended up cooking breakfast on my own with a little help from C/Stwd until my mate turned up from his run ashore 10/11am. Crew were not happy ! Chief eventually HAD to get new Cook from UK. I was then back peeling ....a little easier, but good experience and a good tale to tell after all these years. I wonder if he's reading this !
Old 23rd March 2017, 10:21

Seeing letter Revenge : I know silver plate powder was used on Union Castle to move the passengers off the table for 2nd sitting, that's why I will never use first sitting on cruise ships !!
Old 23rd March 2017, 10:52
Active: 1954 - 1981

jimmy rivers from Falmouth one of the best cooks i sailed with
Old 23rd March 2017, 12:33
Department: Purser
Active: 1966 - 1976

I was so proud of my Second Cook and Bakers,prouder still of my Chief Cooks,a bit sanguine when doing Higher Grade and definately an old hand when I took Advanced.I was a bit annoyed when I saw I`d lost the certificates but as they are written in my DisA book I thought`Who cares that I could cook when I was in my 20`s?`We`ve just moved and whilst emptying a bookshelf I found them tucked away and discovered to my surprise that I cared.They`re tucked away in the back of my book again.BTW when I first came ashore for some years I kept my book,ID book,cooks tickets,passport and 500 all together in a big elastic band somewhere safe and private just in case I ever needed to get out quick.
Old 30th March 2017, 15:31

My location
Glad to say I,ve managed to keep all my Cooks tickets along with my Head of Catering Department ( non-passenger vessels) and Ships Captains medical training ticket and Discharge books and ID Card.
Old 30th March 2017, 16:39
Department: Purser
Active: 1966 - 1976

Regarding medical training,be grateful you had some.I`ve given out so many injections of penicillin that I`ve lost count,stitched more than enough wounds thank you,treated most minor injuries and ailments and all I ever had was a sense of confidence and some instructions from a couple of Clan Line Pursers.How we never killed anyone I`ll never know,on the Sugar Crystal of our Adenese ER crew crushed his thumb,it was too bad to stsitch so I cleaned it thoroughly,bandaged it tightly and as soon as possible sent him ashore.He hadn`t returned when I paid off and I forgot about him until a year later I boarded the Labrador Clipper in Balboa,looked in the messroom and there he was,he held his enormous thumb up in a cheery manner and gave me shout of `Hello`big sigh of relief there then
Old 30th March 2017, 16:57
Department: Engineering
Active: 1970 - Present

" For some years I kept my book,ID book,cooks tickets,passport and 500 all together in a big elastic band somewhere safe and private just in case I ever needed to get out quick"

What were you up to? Sounds an exciting life to me, James Bond wouldn't have had 500 big ones stashed in his passport.
Old 30th March 2017, 17:41
Varley Varley is offline   SN Supporter
Active: 1971 - 2011

E coli, botulism, Sam 'n Ella?
Old 6th April 2017, 17:06

My location
Regarding the injections grapefruits were used to practice on!!
Old 6th April 2017, 18:55
Varley Varley is offline   SN Supporter
Active: 1971 - 2011

Took a friend to dinner from her nurses home in London (can't remember which). She was practicing on oranges. Perhaps a grapefruit looked more 'off colour'.
Old 7th April 2017, 09:49
Department: Engineering
Active: 1970 - Present

Thank your lucky stars she wasn't practicing on plums.
Old 4th December 2018, 12:58

Sailed on P&O with Brian Kettle from Hull, a brilliant cook and a workaholic, worked with him again in Oz in the eighties on a Mcdermott's construction Barge (DB29 ? )I was Ch Cookm and he was Camp Boss, great bloke