Lassel. - Ships Nostalgia
03:19

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Lassel.

User Tag List

Old 29th October 2012, 19:54
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1956 - 1968

Lassel.

Very interesting comments regarding Lamport and Holt, and the fleet, but strangly nothing on SS Lassel, a great little plodder . Sailed on her a few times to South America, no more than 60 RPM, triple expansion engine, loved it. Would be interested to find what became of her.
Rob.
Old 29th October 2012, 20:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert the bruce View Post
Very interesting comments regarding Lamport and Holt, and the fleet, but strangly nothing on SS Lassel, a great little plodder . Sailed on her a few times to South America, no more than 60 RPM, triple expansion engine, loved it. Would be interested to find what became of her.
Rob.
Liberty Ship LASSELL(ex.JOHN J. McGRAW/SAMARIZ)1962 r/n AIOLOS II 24.11.68 b/u Shanghi

Last edited by A.D.FROST; 29th October 2012 at 20:32..
Old 29th October 2012, 22:32

Did my first trip on her, Jan 1958, first stop Las Palmas for bunkers, then Recife and several ports south to BA, remember homeward bound taking on deck cargo of tomatoes in Las Palmas for Liverpool.
Old 30th October 2012, 18:46

Thank you, A.D. Frost, and nautibuoy42, for your information. Yes I can remember and basically we did exactly the same voyage. In fact, homeward bound in Las Palmas we berthed just astern of one of the Castle ships, I believe it was the Capetown Castle, that had a disasterous accident in the engine room. Can't quite remember what happened.
Rob
Old 30th October 2012, 18:53

Quote:
Thank you, A.D. Frost, and nautibuoy42, for your information. Yes I can remember and basically we did exactly the same voyage. In fact, homeward bound in Las Palmas we berthed just astern of one of the Castle ships, I believe it was the Capetown Castle, that had a disasterous accident in the engine room. Can't quite remember what happened.
Rob
Air start v/v jammed open.Fired though the air start line back to the air bottle, blew up,shrapnel killed several engineers.(17.10.60)

Last edited by A.D.FROST; 30th October 2012 at 18:57..
Old 30th October 2012, 22:01

I had heard that there had been injuries, but shrapnel killed several engineers was not aware of such a tragedy. It is frightening. Thank you A.D. Frost!!
Rob.
Old 21st December 2013, 20:30
Department: Navigation
Active: 1955 - 1961

Hi Rob, I sailed on the Lassel, signed on 20:05:58, di 5 trips until 29:05:59.
Still have a photo somewhere showing the her in dock in Las Palmas with the flag at half mast, when the captain died and he was embalmed on the wing of the bridge!!!!!!!!
I was a deck cadet.
Old 21st December 2013, 20:54
Gulpers Gulpers is offline   SN Supporter
ex-Denholm Moderator
Active: 1972 - 1981

My location
Smile Welcome

woover,

On behalf of the SN Moderators, a warm welcome aboard from the Isle of Anglesey!
You will thoroughly enjoy your time on SN and get many happy hours entertainment from your membership.
Old 25th December 2013, 22:33

Hi Woover, I paid off her 2nd May '58, in Surrey Commercial Dock, the trip before you joined, the master on that voyage was Cpt Robson, the Mate was Tab Nab Roberts, the other cadet was a guy called Terry ????. Regards, Glyn.
Old 10th January 2014, 20:52

Hi Rob, are you sure his name was Roberts, thats my name Trevor Roberts. Thought his name was Tab nab Hunter, realy nice guy. Other cadet was Brian? cant quite remember, so long ago now. Where do you get all this old info from.
Woover
Old 10th January 2014, 21:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by woover View Post
Hi Rob, are you sure his name was Roberts, thats my name Trevor Roberts. Thought his name was Tab nab Hunter, realy nice guy. Other cadet was Brian? cant quite remember, so long ago now. Where do you get all this old info from.
Woover
Definitely Tab Nab Roberts , went on to be Asst Marine Supt under Cpt Crebin, Tab Hunter was a film star of the 60s
Old 11th January 2014, 13:06

Hello woover.
A little bit of a mix up here regarding Lassel. You will find that the information you are questioning originated from "nautibuoy42". Irrespective she was a great plodder. Only one job to do in Recife was LP big end knocking, only slightly but we thought do it now, better than doing repairs half way across the Atlantic.
Rob.
Old 11th January 2014, 20:37

Lassel

Quote:
Hello woover.
A little bit of a mix up here regarding Lassel. You will find that the information you are questioning originated from "nautibuoy42". Irrespective she was a great plodder. Only one job to do in Recife was LP big end knocking, only slightly but we thought do it now, better than doing repairs half way across the Atlantic.
Rob.
Hi Rob I will have to look up nautibouy42 and see what other info he has. You are right of course, Tab Hunter was a film star, thats the penalty for getting old.

Thanks, woover
Old 12th January 2014, 18:35

L&H was a great outfit to sail with. Basic accommodation but fair grub and a decent crowd of officers. I was in the Debrett and the good old Romney under Captains Legg and Casey. The homeward load of tomatoes or potatoes from Las Palmas was a regular. many happy memories.
Ken Glasdir
Old 14th March 2017, 12:11

My first ship Lassell

Joined the Lassell in Tilbury 5th October 1955 my first trip to sea as junr
Engineer.A good ship with the exeption of the steam winches they just dropped to pieces.The captain being J King the third mate was called Samson.These South American ports being a eye opener for me.
Old 15th March 2017, 11:48
Super Moderator
Active: 1952 - 1965

Greetings horwichbl and welcome to SN. Bon voyage.
Old 16th May 2017, 16:08

HELLO ROB
I HAVE LEARNED TODAY that a model boat building friend is embarking on a build of the ship, Lassell , initially named, Samariz, built in 1943.

What recollections or pictures might you have?

Speaking to him earlier, one question he would like answered is, what was the colour of the deck.
He was also interested in the superstructure and hull colours for to date he has only seen a small black and white photo.

He is not compter/Internet minded and had asked me if I might ascertain in his behalf.

Stuart