Hot Cakes - Page 2 - Ships Nostalgia
11:04

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Hot Cakes

User Tag List

Old 19th March 2013, 13:49

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Rogers View Post
The answer is NO Pat, Hot cakes in the States are a form of a pancake or flapjacks (Slang).

f you are among the country folk in rural Southwest Washington State (and similar places), they are called HOTCAKES.

If you are in a logging camp, they are called FLAPJACKS.

If you are in certain restaurants or a little more finicky social stratum, then they are PANCAKES.

Also, the hotcakes and the flapjacks might use bacon grease for the shortening...but not always. Otherwise, same concept and similar recipes.
When they are made with cornmeal (an ingredient probably completely unknown in Europe) they are called "Johnny Cakes".

On shipboard they always were officially called "Hot Cakes". However, on many the ships on which I used to sail, the "Hot Cakes" the stewards turned out were often jokingly referred to as "Collision-Mats" because it was widely held that, in the event the hull was breached, they were large and dense enough to be used to plug up the hole!

Last edited by Klaatu83; 19th March 2013 at 13:53..
Old 19th March 2013, 14:38

John.Member from Tasmania

If you're really into tinned corned beef you should try what the Americans call a REUBEN SANDWHICH :- One slice of rye bread, and put on as much corned beef as you want. On top of that put Swiss cheese, a generous helping of Sauerkraut and French mustard, and then whack another slice of rye bread on top. Then, if you still can, put it under a grill 'til it's hot and crispy. . . .and go for your life !
Apparently it was concocted in Nebraska somewhere, but as much as I enjoy corned beef I can easily give the cheese and sauerkraut away.
I'll stick to crusty white bread and have a bacon sarnie. Happy cholesterol !
Old 19th March 2013, 15:40
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1947 - 1954

My location
Just a point of interest, Corn Beef in the states is nothing like it is in the UK,where it is called Bully Beef,the stuff that's in a tin.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corned_beef

Last edited by John Rogers; 19th March 2013 at 16:44..
Old 19th March 2013, 16:37
Active: 1981 - 2003

My location
Try this - but leave the beef to soak for a couple of days before you boil it up - it's a faff but well worth the effort - ebay or amazon for the saltpetre

Making your own corned beef
1.25kg beef brisket in apple sized chunks – note: it will reduce in volume
900ml corned beef marinade
Marinade
8gm saltpetre – probably from your local butcher
40gm cooking salt
12gm soft brown sugar
1ltr water
Place all the marinade ingredients into a pan and bring to the boil for 10 minutes. Take it off the heat and allow it to cool.

George Santayana (1863 - 1952)
Old 19th March 2013, 16:46

My location
Saltptre, plus Soft Brown Sugar, That sure counter- acts the little blue pill.
Old 20th March 2013, 01:56

Cool Member from Tasmania.Oz

Hi John from the States. Many years ago while visiting Washington D.C. I tried a few different fast foods I had never had before, and one was something called Hush Puppies ! (Just the name got me to try 'em). I seem to recall them being something like small doughnuts . .or 'donuts' . I had a fair old mixture of food in that particular diner at the time, so is that correct ? Are HUSH PUPPIES like that ? Thank you.
Old 20th March 2013, 03:32

My location
Yes they are,mostly served with a fish meal. I can furnish a recipe for them if you like,very easy to make them.
Old 20th March 2013, 05:49

Member from Tasmania.Oz

Yes, John, I would love to ' have a go' at them, as I'm sure so would many more of the readers! So if you would be kind enough to pass the recipe on it would very much appreciated. ( I can just imagine the surge of electricity around the world in the morning as fry pans get fired up for a feast of Hush Puppies !).
I also recall that after initially having them in that Diner many years ago, I asked a guy in the Space Museum why they were so-called. He reckoned the name originated from the American Civil War, when scouts for the Yankee soldiers fed them to Confederate watch-dogs to stop them barking while they snooped around. 'Hush' Puppies. What a great name. So now the recipe. . . . . . Please John.
Old 20th March 2013, 14:28

My location
Here we go John, here are two you can try,they are very simple but if you want to be brave and bold you can chop a small jalapeno pepper and add it to the mix,WARNING THEY ARE HOT.

Original recipe makes 24 hush puppies

2 eggs, beaten

1/2 cup white sugar

1 large onion, diced

1 cup self-rising flour

1 cup self-rising cornmeal

1 quart oil for frying
Check All Add to Shopping List
Directions
1. In a medium bowl, mix together eggs, sugar, and onion. Blend in flour and cornmeal.
2. Heat 2 inches of oil to 365 degrees F (185 degrees C). Drop batter by rounded teaspoonfuls in hot oil, and fry until golden brown. Cook in small batches to maintain oil temperature. Drain briefly on paper towels. Serve hot.
Old 20th March 2013, 14:30

My location
• HUSH PUPPIES.
Prep/Total Time: 25 min.
• Yield: 4-6 Servings

Ingredients
• 1 cup yellow cornmeal
• 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
• 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1 egg, lightly beaten
• 3/4 cup milk
• 1 small onion, finely chopped
• Oil for deep-fat frying
Directions
• In a large bowl, combine the cornmeal, flour, baking powder and salt. Whisk the egg, milk and onion; add to dry ingredients just until combined.
• In a deep-fat fryer or electric skillet, heat oil to 365°. Drop batter by teaspoonfuls into oil. Fry 2 2-1/2 minutes or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels. Serve warm.
Old 21st March 2013, 03:39

Smile Member from Tasmania.Oz

G'day to all, and many thanks for the recipes John, which is very kind of you,and which I look forward to cooking and re-living the taste of Washington DC. As it happened I was just reading your recipes when two of my daughters arrived for a quick 'cuppa', and have now requested I make a heap for the family gathering over Easter. They suggested one lot 'plain' and the other with the Jalapenos. I like the sound of them. . . . .Hush Puppies with a Bite ! !

I will have a trial run with both recipes after I get some Cornmeal later today and let you know the result. Thank you once again, and I hope all the 'Gutsy' readers and would-cooks enjoy the 'Pup's' as well. Cheers.
Old 21st March 2013, 15:01

My location
I look forward to your FEEDBACK.
Old 22nd March 2013, 11:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by john palmer View Post
I can clearly remember my Dad cooking Corned Beef Hash (CBH) in the mid 1940's after he came out of the RN.. and it was something we all had on a fairly regular basis. My Mum was pretty good at making even 'dripping butties' seem like a feast in those days in Liverpool, but she couldnt make CBH like our Dad. I think it was the Fray Bentos brand he used, and occaisionally we may even get an egg and HP Sauce with it . . . .luvly ! I don't recall ever having it during the 10years I was with the NZSCo. . .or FSNCo., but I can tell you that since settling down ashore and getting married, all three of our daughters know how to cook it and all the Grandchildren have tried it.(My wife holds 'em down while I force open thier mouths!).
Maybe the recipe for CBH did originate in the USA but I doubt it as the Irish began flogging tinned corned beef way back in the 1600's and the British Army had it in their kitbags soon after. . and took it all the world with them. I just find it hard to believe that some Paddy, Scouser, or Cockney army cook never thought of mixing it with onions and spuds ! I'm now going to to get the fry pan out.. . . .Cheers.
JP #25 Hi John tinned beef in the sixteen hundreds???
Old 22nd March 2013, 13:24

My location
18th-century Atlantic trade
Although the practice of curing beef was found locally in many cultures, the industrial production of corned beef started in the English Industrial Revolution. Irish corned beef was used and traded extensively from the 17th century to the mid 19th century for English civilian consumption and as provisions for the British naval fleets and North American armies due to its non-perishable nature.[3] The product was also traded to the French for use in Caribbean sugar plantations as sustenance for the colonist and the slave laborers. [4] The 17th-century English and Irish industrial processes for corned beef did not distinguish between different cuts of beef beyond the tough and undesirable parts such as the beef necks and shanks.[4][5] Rather, the grading was done by the weight of the cattle into "small beef", "cargo beef", and "best mess beef", the former being the worst and the latter the best.[4] Much of the undesirable portions and lower grades were traded to the French, while better parts were saved for English consumption or shipped to English colonies.[4]

Ireland produced a significant amount of the corned beef in the Atlantic trade from local cattle and salt imported from the Iberian Peninsula and southwestern France.[4] Coastal cities, such as Dublin, Belfast, and Cork, created vast beef curing and packing industries, with Cork producing half of Ireland's annual beef exports in 1668.[5] Although the production and trade of corned beef as a commodity was a source of great wealth for the colonial nations of England and France (who were participating in the Atlantic slave trade), in the colonies themselves the product was looked upon with disdain due to its association with poverty and slavery.[4]
Old 22nd March 2013, 13:26

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by jg grant View Post
JP #25 Hi John tinned beef in the sixteen hundreds???
Irish Were the First Exporters of Corned Beef
Irish were the biggest exporters of Corned Beef till 1825.
The English were serving corned beef but also the Irish. In this day and age
corned beef and cabbage is not very Irish, but corned beef is. The area of Cork, Ireland was a great producer of Corned Beef in the 1600’s until 1825. It was their chief export and sent all over the world, mostly in cans. The British army sustained on cans of Cork’s corned beef during the Napoleonic wars.
Old 23rd March 2013, 10:11

Yes John and hello but with respect, canning in the 1600's? I seem to recall a fateful trip to the North West passage or somewhere that turned to disaster because the tinned meat, which was a new process at the time in the 1800's, was sealed in tins with lead and the team got marooned and all went loopy as a result of eating the contents . Sorry can't remember the details. Regards
Old 23rd March 2013, 16:52

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by jg grant View Post
Yes John and hello but with respect, canning in the 1600's? I seem to recall a fateful trip to the North West passage or somewhere that turned to disaster because the tinned meat, which was a new process at the time in the 1800's, was sealed in tins with lead and the team got marooned and all went loopy as a result of eating the contents . Sorry can't remember the details. Regards
I will do some surfing and see if I can find any reference to that incident, its hard to believe they had tins/cans back then,even thou they had tankards to hold their grog.
Old 23rd March 2013, 17:07

My location
I found some info here,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franklin's_lost_expedition

Plus this.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/background/northwest-passage/

The disappearance provoked what some say was the most expensive search-and-rescue mission ever mounted. Between 1848 and 1859, as many as 40 ships and more than 2,000 men searched for Franklin's fleet. In 1859, searchers found artifacts and bodies on King William Island. They found two documents that indicated the ships had become frozen in the ice. The notes also indicated that Franklin died on the ship in 1847. Survivors abandoned the vessel the year after, but all died trying to reach the mainland.

Scientists later dug up crewmembers bodies and discovered that lead poisoning from the soldering on tins of canned food may have been a factor in their deaths, and would have had an effect on their physical and mental stability. Even more gruesome, analysis of the crewmembers' remains pointed to cannibalism.

Last edited by John Rogers; 23rd March 2013 at 17:09..
Old 23rd March 2013, 17:28

My location
The Invention of the Tin Can.

History

The tin can was patented in 1810 by British merchant Peter Durand, based on experimental food preservation work in glass containers by the French inventor Nicholas Appert the year before. Durand did not pursue food canning himself, but, in 1812, sold his patent to two Englishmen, Bryan Donkin and John Hall, who set up a commercial canning factory, and by 1813 were producing their first canned goods for the British Army.

Early cans were sealed with lead soldering, which led to lead poisoning. Famously, in the 1845 Arctic expedition of Sir John Franklin, crew members suffered from severe lead poisoning after three years of eating canned food.

In 1901, the American Can Company was founded which, at the time, produced 90% of United States tin cans.[1]
Old 24th March 2013, 13:25

Smile Member from Tasmania.Oz

Back to the 'Hush Puppies' folks ! I cooked a batch from recipe No1, without the Jalapenos ! The first half dozen I undercooked. . .the second half dozen I overcooked. . . .but the next 20 were perfect. Wife and I sampled a few and the rest I passed on to my daughters and grandchildren who, between them, tried them with jam, marmalade, honey, tomato sauce, raspberry topping, maple syrup, corn relish, soy sauce, and mustard pickles. (Separately, I mean !) They loved 'em and now want more. So, thank you for the recipe John.
Incidently, when I tried to get 'corn meal ' at one of the two major supermarkets over here, I was told it is sold as 'polenta ' . . . not corn meal. Just thought I'd mention it. Happy eating !
Old 24th March 2013, 19:29

My location
Glad you and the family enjoyed them,never ate them unless they were with a nice piece of cod. But I will always try new stuff. I bet they are good with nice fresh honey.

Try letting them float to the top of the deep fryer.

Polenta.

It's exactly the same thing with one "but." Grind size varies greatly on corn meal, whereas polenta is a little more standard, usually medium to medium/coarse.
Cook it the same way, it's the same thing.

Last edited by John Rogers; 24th March 2013 at 19:38..
Old 29th March 2013, 02:39
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1944 - 1953

john rogers,19 march.2013.23:40.re:hot cakes.as you say hot cakes are flapjacks,but to get back to corn beef,when we served corn beef, a mix of potato's,onions.ect.as there were many to feed.it was placed in a baking dish,covered in streaky bacon.baked in an oven.it was called American dry hash.verry popular.try some.have a good day.ben27
Old 23rd December 2014, 04:54

American Hash versus Hot Cakes

Pretty good but you can"t beat a Couple of nice Hot Cakes
with a couple on nice runny poached eggs on top
Am drooling thinking about them. ps Don"t forget to put a
bit a Cayenne pepper on top
Old 4th December 2018, 13:54

Welsh cakes anyone ?