Female Radio Officers - Page 2 - Ships Nostalgia
20:47

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Female Radio Officers

User Tag List

Old 23rd April 2006, 11:22

Chris

Female radio officer Reynolds father was Captain Eric Reynolds who had been with Anchor line of Nelson and served later with the then Northland Harbour Board in Whangarei and the Bay of Islands on tugs, pilot vessels and as marine officer in the Bay.
Old 24th April 2006, 11:31

Female R/O's

In reply to the post by Cynter, the lady in question was Angela Firman who I knew quite well. Her father was a Ch. Off. and mother a stewardess on Scandinavian ships.
On one of my trips to Hamburg in 1963 I missed her by a day. The last time I saw her would be at Bridlington in 1959.
I believe she married a Norwegian guy and sailed on Norske ships for a while.
NESWT also have a web site and association.
Old 24th April 2006, 11:45

Thankyou Barmyclaresdad..... that clears up my question. I never knew the lady in question cos I was well at sea by then. While I was at sea, I QSO'd a few Scandinavian female R/Os and was very tempted to seek employment with "Scouwegian" companies...but it never happened.
Thanks again mate...
Cheers cynter.
Old 24th April 2006, 11:50

Hi ... Barmyclaresdad.
I forgot to ask, but I assume that you must have been a Brid bloke to know about Angela.... will keep listening.
Old 27th April 2006, 00:39

The first female R/O in a Norwegian ship.

In the 50,60 and 70-ties perhaps half of the R/Os in Norwegian ships were girls. Some as young as 18 or 19.
However the first was a Canadian, Fern Blodgett from Toronto. She was trained in Canada, but this was in the middle of WW2 and she couldn`t get a job in a Canadian or Brit ship. Then along came the MOSDALE (Mosvold Shipping, Farsund) and they badly needed a R/O and took her on. She served on that ship for several years on the North Atlantic, perhaps due to the fact that she married the Captain. The Mosdale was a 17 knots Fruit Carrier and due to the speed she was unharmed during all those years. Brave girl and she sort of set the standard.
Rgds, Knut
Old 2nd May 2006, 11:40

Certainly am/was. I am a member of the NESWT Association.
Send me a PM if you would like details
Old 2nd May 2006, 21:19

When I joined Panocean in 1977 there were four Lady R/Os. The one I sailed with was Carol Heaps from the I.O.M. Nice person
Old 18th May 2006, 09:48

Female Radio Operators

A good web site to visit is www.warsailors.com. The site is by a woman called Siri Holm and is about her Mother and Father who were both R/O's. Her Father was at sea from 1937 until the 1970's, mainly as a R/O but he did a spell as a 2/O. Her Mother went to sea as a Galley Maid and finished as a R/O.

A well written site with photos of the ships they sailed on.

Regards

Blair Lagerstedt
NZ
Old 19th May 2006, 10:48

Female R/O's

AWA in Australia is still going and works in the IT area only. It is now in private ownership.

Regards
Blair Lagerstedt
NZ
Old 20th May 2006, 01:28
Super Moderator
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1962 - 2005

My location
Brocklebanks Female ROs

When I was Chief on Mahsud we had a 2 RO named Ruth . Charming young lady who I think became engaged to the 2nd Mate sometime through the trip . Wonder if any of you Brock lads sailed with her ???
Derek
Old 16th June 2006, 23:47

My location
Liz Banham - Female R\O

Liz Banham(nee Rait) was the first female R\O in P&O, I know because she was my junior for 2 trips (1973\74) on the Taupo between UK and NZ.
She took over from myself at Panama on the way back to NZ and she married Rick Banham (Frosty). Looking at some old crew lists from GCD they looked to have been posted to the same ship together for some time.
Still got the press cuttings from the UK papers who made a big thing about it
at the time.

Graham Palmer

Last edited by graham palmer; 17th June 2006 at 00:00..
Old 3rd July 2006, 23:28
KIWI
Active: 1949 - 1955

My location
Female crew certainly was not unusual on Scandinavian ships.On Kronviken we took on two Canadian girls in Vancouver,one as Captain's Tiger the other looked after Mates & Eng'rs.This was way back in 1949 & apparently not at all unusual. Kiwi
Old 4th July 2006, 00:22
Organisation: Maritime Enthusiast

My location
For those members in Aust we have our own Patsy Adam-Smith who was the first female to be articled as a radio officer when she worked on the Australian merchant ship "Naracoopa" from 1954 to 1960.
Although the "Naracoopa" was a small coaster trading around Tasmania it was still a first in this part of the world especially in 1954.
Patsy Adam-Smith's book, "There was a Ship" is still quite a good read.
Old 7th July 2006, 15:20
andysk andysk is offline   SN Supporter
Super Moderator (L)
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1970 - 1978

Quote:
Originally Posted by rknibbs
When I did my R/O training in 1968/69 we had one female on our course and I think she went to work for Safmarine, well, that was her intention.
She was on the same course timetable as me at Norwood Tech, 1968-1970, and was married (or engaged) to a Swedish Captain, but I can't for the life of me remember which company. I forget her name, I believe she was getting a ticket to be able to sail with her husband.

Cheers

Andy
Old 7th July 2006, 23:46

During my tenure as the ops man for Cool Carriers in California I often worked with 2 ladies from Leonhardt & Blumberg of Hamburg. They were Capt. Barbaro Massing & Capt. Barbara Jung of the HANSA class reefers. They were both highly effective ship's masters who ran efficient ships.

On the lighter side, Leonhardts also had a senior male master of the name Jung & when we told him that the newly promoted Barbara would be henceforth known as Young Capt Jung & he would be known as Old Capt Jung he was a bit unhappy. We fixed him by addressing the two as Ugly Capt Jung & Pretty Capt Jung - he settled for being Old!

Keep her steady Babs!
Old 10th July 2006, 12:11
andysk andysk is offline   SN Supporter
Super Moderator (L)
Active: 1970 - 1978

Quote:
Originally Posted by andysk
She was on the same course timetable as me at Norwood Tech, 1968-1970, and was married (or engaged) to a Swedish Captain, but I can't for the life of me remember which company. I forget her name, I believe she was getting a ticket to be able to sail with her husband.
It's come down from the shelf, she went away with her husband/partner on Gorthon's.

Cheers

Andy
Old 20th August 2006, 16:02

My location
Females at Sea

I was just about to start a new thread when a search brought up this one.
Being as how this site appears to be one of, if not THE, last bastion of male chauvenist piggery I was wondering about opinions.
I know this is strictly unPC but most of the old codgers of my, and earlier, generations I've conversed with here have been prePC and pre females at sea. Or thought we were in the latter case.
I know when Dallas first went to sea I had to take an awful lot of ribald remarks and looks of disappointment and rejection when I signed on. I knew who everyone would rather have been there.
I used to make any excuse to visit Norwegian ships when I came across them, purely to make aquaintances, of course. The fact that I could speak the language helped enormously! Unfortunately most of them were married to one of the officers or, if the "Gniste" happened to be male, that lovely dolly stewardess you fancied invariably turned out to be his wife.

Dallas Bradshaw was the first British RO for Marconi joining in August 1970, first ship Duncraig and she was Canadian. Referring to another thread about "The Merchant Navy Programme" - that was how Captain Macdonald found out that his next sparkie (sparklette?) would be a girl!
There is an interesting write up in the first book attached to this post along with details of -
Alice Mollison
Joan Wareing
Jocelyn Parker
Marylin Stockwell
and others

If the author or publisher is watching. Permission to post more details from this excellent book would be appreciated. The copy I have was a present from 'er indoors direct from the publisher and they are still available.

The 2nd book attached I've just finished reading and I couldn't put it down.
It's very evocative of the period and her descriptions of BA and Brasil brought the memories flooding back. Two chapters per throne room visit rather than one.
Miss Carroll (also Canadian) spent 4 years at sea from 1947 and all on the same ship, the Siranger. Built 1944 in Beaumont, Texas, as the Cape River.
She says in her preface that the first female wireless operator to serve at sea was American. In 1910!. And that by the end of the '30s at least 13 young ladies had operated on the Atlantic and Pacific coasts as well as the Great Lakes.
Unfortunately I can't tell you where to get a copy.

Brave ladies one and all but a bit upsetting for us old salts if I remember correctly.
Any comments?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg History RO - Greenlaw 1s.jpg (77.0 KB, 102 views)
File Type: jpg Deep Sea Sparks - Carroll 1s.jpg (46.0 KB, 115 views)
Old 19th December 2006, 11:23

My location
Smile Female R/O's

Greetings one and all. I sailed with Dallas or Big D as I called her in 1979 on the Scotspark for 4 months. The best way to get any peace was to ask her if she was still 165lbs?? That gave us 48 hours peace. Seriously she was a good R/O and did her job well. I understand she was in the Guiness Book of records as the first female R/O in the British Merchant Navy. The first female at sea that I can remember hearing about was a Second Engineer during the first world war. Dallas was good at the dots but the dashes foxed her!!! Last I heard she was living in North Wales and has a gammy left leg. No more climbing up Pilot ladders.
Merry Xmas all and have a good new year.
Terry 556919.
Old 19th December 2006, 18:09

I sailed with a lady sparks called Sylvia Slattery on the Border Falcon about 1980. She was one one of several in BP. I believe she married a 2/E and eventually went to live in Aussie. There were also various Cadets, and 3/0's by the time I left. I seem to recall BP appointed their first female Supt. sometime recently?
Old 1st January 2007, 11:49

In 1983/84 I sailed on ANL's "Darwin Trader" with the R/O Heather (surname?), the subject of the first post on this thread. I recall her as a pleasant blonde who was competent at her job, a good shipmate and who was well aware of pitfalls and traps in the chauvinistic world around her. She used to join us in the duty mess and when bananas were on the table there was heightened interest in the prospect of watching her eat one. But she was too smart for that, she used to peel it then break it into pieces to eat, much to the disappointment of some watchers!
Old 2nd January 2007, 05:03

Smile

I was R/O on WYUNA in 60 or 61....nor much fun: all the crew did week on and week off but all the poor old sparky got was to go ashore with the first crew and go the the Quuenscliff pub, get tanked, and back on board with the last boat for another week of duty (dry ship too).

We had a female trainee at Plymouth & Devonport Tech 59-60 where I did my 1st Class PMG. Can't remember her name or if she went to sea.

Cheers Graham
Old 12th January 2007, 23:51

Paid a visit to Singapore Radio/9VG 1989 or 90 or thereabouts. Had heard prior to that, mostly female voices on R/T. It turned out that the majority of operators were female, both on R/T and W/T.
Old 14th January 2007, 18:17
Active: 1971 - 1983

My location
I studied for my ticket at the British School of Telegraphy (later renamed London Electronics College) at Earls Court during 1969 - 1971. There was a female student on the course before me - Barbara Keating - from Australia - she passed her ticket and went to sea under the Red Duster at the end of 1970.

Steve.
Old 15th January 2007, 04:35

My location
[QUOTE=trotterdotpom;52782]Doug, to the best of my knowledge, Heather was the only female RO on Australian ships. I met her a few times and found her to be very competent and a pleasant lady. She was around for 3 or 4 years (I think) and eventually married a BHP Chief Officer. She did seem to get used by AWA a bit for publicity purposes. I think she disappeared under a pile of nappies, but not sure.

There were also a few female Navigating Cadets who eventually got tickets, I believe. Don't know how far up the tree they went.

John T.

There were two female R/O's on the Australian Coast; one Dianne Mehonoshen was on our Oil Rig "Energy Searcher" where she spent a year, before heading to the Antartic with the AAO.
An interesting story with these two ladies. They undertook the R/O course at the AMC Launceston and passed out first and second of their course.
The R/O's Union wouldn't give them jobs until they were at the Courthouse steps.
I never met Heather, but did hear a lot about her from her friend Di, a very lovely lady and a great technician.
Old 15th January 2007, 14:03

Thanks Grifmar, I never heard of Dianne, but I'm sure she was eminently competent, as were all the ex Launceston radio students I met.

I don't recall Heather telling me of any union problems about getting a job - apart from CSR and the Union Company, as far as I know, everyone was employed by AWA (radio company). There was no union roster employment as run by the Seamen's Union of Austalia.

When I arrived in the Lucky Country (1980), I applied for a job with AWA. I already had 13 years experience and was fully qualified, but still had to sit written technical knowledge tests about radio and radar equipment. I was offered a job and flown back to Brisbane First Class - I remember thinking: "I heard these bastards were spoiled to death."

A few days later, while waiting for appointment to a ship, I got a heavy duty phone call from Mal Pickstone of the PREIA (Professional Radio and Electronics Institute of Australia) telling me I couldn't work for AWA as there were already people in Australia qualified and waiting for a job. If this was true, I don't know why they didn't already have jobs, but, in any case, I'd already payed money and joined the PREIA so eat **** Mal, you fat bastard!

Eventually, when the writing was on the wall, the PREIA amalgamated with the mates' union, the Merchant Service Guild, sold the ROs down the river and the rest is history.

John T.