Question about the Maersk Mc-Kinney Moller - Ships Nostalgia
07:35

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Question about the Maersk Mc-Kinney Moller

User Tag List

Old 23rd March 2016, 01:48

Question about the Maersk Mc-Kinney Moller

If you look at this photo (http://www.odin.tc/pics/triplee.jpg) you'll see that the ship can carry a lot containers, but with all those containers in the bow, how does the ship deal with stability? If it has a lot of containers at the front, I suppose the ship would "sink" at the front...
Old 23rd March 2016, 02:38
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering

Ballast tanks
In the fullness of time
A garden to nurture and protect
Old 23rd March 2016, 10:34

I thought that with the "lower speed ships" Mearsk were chopping off the Bulbous Bow?

From Grey Funnel to any Funnel, just show him/ me the money Mabel

Last edited by chadburn; 23rd March 2016 at 20:42..
Old 23rd March 2016, 16:19
Super Moderator
Active: 1952 - 1965

Greetings kepler22b and welcome to SN. Bon voyage.
Old 24th March 2016, 01:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadburn View Post
I thought that with the "lower speed ships" Mearsk were chopping off the Bulbous Bow?
Oh big debate there with all the Narks getting their collective knickers in a twist with the inevitable wild claims of savings and counter claims of shamanism and witchcraft. I swear to god if I see another model pool photograph 'proving' one or other opinion my next step will be to visit the pool with a fully functional model attack submarine or maybe a model pirate ship.

It basically seems to come down to this, there is a speed below which bulbous bows are no longer effective and indeed cost fuel, above that different bows are required for different speed/draft combinations. Next try to predict the trading pattern for the next 5 years and fit the appropriate bow - this involves consulting with a Nark who after performing arcane rituals and the ritual sacrifice of chickens and other small animals will give you a suggestion and a photograph of a model, he will also recommend brackets and carlings- but they always do that, they can't help themselves.
In the fullness of time
A garden to nurture and protect
Old 24th March 2016, 01:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by R58484956 View Post
Greetings kepler22b and welcome to SN. Bon voyage.
Thank you
Old 24th March 2016, 09:20

Y
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satanic Mechanic View Post
Oh big debate there with all the Narks getting their collective knickers in a twist with the inevitable wild claims of savings and counter claims of shamanism and witchcraft. I swear to god if I see another model pool photograph 'proving' one or other opinion my next step will be to visit the pool with a fully functional model attack submarine or maybe a model pirate ship.

It basically seems to come down to this, there is a speed below which bulbous bows are no longer effective and indeed cost fuel, above that different bows are required for different speed/draft combinations. Next try to predict the trading pattern for the next 5 years and fit the appropriate bow - this involves consulting with a Nark who after performing arcane rituals and the ritual sacrifice of chickens and other small animals will give you a suggestion and a photograph of a model, he will also recommend brackets and carlings- but they always do that, they can't help themselves.
Sounds more like a hinge and bracket to me never had these worries pre CAD/CAM.

Old 24th March 2016, 10:38

My location
Crew list

Quote:
Originally Posted by kepler22b View Post
If you look at this photo (http://www.odin.tc/pics/triplee.jpg) you'll see that the ship can carry a lot containers, but with all those containers in the bow, how does the ship deal with stability? If it has a lot of containers at the front, I suppose the ship would "sink" at the front...
Slightly off subject I know but amongst the facts and figures about Maersk's new container ships, it mentions "normal crew 19 maximum 34". Anyone know how those figures are arrived at?
Old 24th March 2016, 11:56

Normal running Crew and the occasional 'Flying Squad' to help when it comes to maintaining the vessel at sea in good order due to the normal lean manning limitations which can allow faults to build up. Upper limit determined by Cabin space and Lifesaving Apparatus? Lower by minimum manning level.

Old 24th March 2016, 14:24

My location
What is a normal running crew comprised of? i.e. Captain, navigating officers, engineers, catering and GP ratings?
Old 24th March 2016, 21:40
Department: Deck
Active: 1967 - 1976

My location
I have heard that there are no catering staff on these ships, all the food is pre-cooked and frozen and the crew use use the microwave ovens to heat it when needed. How true that is I am not sure....
Old 24th March 2016, 23:04

Again it's shore side ideas being moved across to the shipping world, there are Freezers onboard full of pre packed meals( a bit like Wiltshire Farm Foods) along with Microwaves for any Maintenance riding Crew who are landed to rectify any defects. We all know that Computers cannot be wrong that's what the Banks tell us, and that certain Radio Frequencies cannot possibly interfere with engine management systems

Last edited by chadburn; 24th March 2016 at 23:09..
Old 28th March 2016, 15:53

Minimum Manning Scales

Niether Maersk nor Denmark are Saints when it comes to setting minimums.

Remember as charterer's rep on a Maersk VLCC with a 14 man crew declaring it unsafe for lightering. The operation took five hours with The Master alone on the bridge and one man with a broken arm. Two of the ABs were giving lip to an over worked 3rd. Mate.

Charterer put the ship off hire until five ABs were flown out from Copenhagen.

Maersk has huge influence in Denmark due to its size. Go figure
Old 22nd January 2017, 09:41
Active: 1977 - Present

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank P View Post
I have heard that there are no catering staff on these ships, all the food is pre-cooked and frozen and the crew use use the microwave ovens to heat it when needed. How true that is I am not sure....
That is one rumour I can dispel. I have recently paid off a Maersk Triple E & the normal crewing on all Maersk's own container ships includes a Cook & Steward.

A lot of Maersk's ships when dry docking are getting new bulbous bows, reckoned to be more efficient at the lower service speeds than originally built for, also in some cases new propellers are being fitted for the same reason. Normal trim when on a sea voyage is down by the bow as this also delivers efficiency savings. It may seem to some to be penny pinching & more hassle than it's worth, but the savings when applied across a fleet the size of the one that Maersk operate becomes appreciable, measured in millions of dollars per year.