Rowbotham Tankships Ltd - Page 13 - Ships Nostalgia
23:06

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Rowbotham Tankships Ltd

User Tag List

Old 28th April 2015, 22:28
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Navigation
Active: 1975 - 1990

Haha fancy dad saying that to u how funny...i loved my 'cruises' far more exciting than these posh liners!
I have some lovely photos of dad at tim and julies wedding one is framed by my bedside! Please pass on my regards when u are next in touch
Old 6th May 2015, 02:56
Organisation: Maritime Enthusiast
Department: Office / Administration
Active: 1982 - Present

Skipper of the 'broken' Tillerman....

Quote:
Originally Posted by price View Post
Hello Derek; No, I have no idea who was master at the time of the incident, whether he had a pilot on board or was following up as we often did in those days. The first time that I sailed in the Tillerman was July August 1968, the Capt. was Higgins, a young man who, later became a Humber Pilot, I think that he was relieving master in the fleet because I sailed with him shortly afterwards when I was mate in the Wheelsman. It was all a long time ago and memories fade. Cheers Bruce.

I could ask Boss Hogg Snr....
Old 6th May 2015, 06:47

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss Hogg Jr View Post
I could ask Boss Hogg Snr....
Hi Boss Hogg Jr. That might be a good idea, it probably happened before his time with the company?? but his memory is probably better than mine. How is John? I haven' seen him for some time, give him my best wishes. Bruce
Old 20th August 2015, 16:40
Department: Deck
Active: 1979 - 1983

So this is where you all hang out

Joined Rowbotham's in 1979 and left in 1983 as a class V, do they still exist nowadays. Love to hear from any of my old ship mates and class V's.
Spent several trips on the Helmsman (first and last). We buckled the ship on my last trip from Liverpool to Milford Haven, what a way to finish in a force 11. Also went on the Pointsman on trips down to Senegal and Lagos. Spent Christmas 81' in New Orleans on the Vegaman. Others included the Cableman, Tillerman, Anchorman, Astraman, Oarsman and probably a few others.
Old 21st August 2015, 15:28
Active: 1970 - 1987

My location
Hi Mark ...

Your name doesn't ring any bells with me! - I was 2nd Mate then Mate on the Tillerman until 1986 when she was sold.
Also on the Oarsman & Helmsman during the period you mention - sailed with a few Class V's (Clive Spurrier, Frank Belton + others) and keep in touch with one (Tim Kelly) from those days.
Can you conjure up any names from the deck side?
Old 23rd November 2015, 21:49
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1984 - 1994

Hullgates and Rowbothams from 84

I joined Hullgates in 1984 and then onto Rowbothams when they took over.
Sailed on most of them. Eastgate first as galley rat with Jimmy Wher as captain in 1984 and left the Cableman as cook in 1996 in Eastham.
Good to see Martin McDonough on here, sailed with Martin a few times but remember the Vegaman down the med as a good trip.
Some great old names I remember, Daisy Andrews and Rodney Burnett two eccentric characters. Stuart Manoney from the Humbergate along with the 1st mate Paul "Stuart" Wright (who Im still in touch with now). The old Hullgates cooks, Dominic Tindall , Keith Parrot and of course Jack "ham and egg pie" Lutkin.
Fond memories of the Oarsman with Paul Wright, Dave Beever , Alan Hales and the irish mate, was it Turloc?
Did my last Hullgates trip on the Westgate with Dominic Tindall , John Daley ,Steve Hallam and boson John from GY, had a great trip with these lads and spent my 18th out there, started it with 6 weeks in Jeddah dry dock.
So many names running through my head, Martin "the Rochdale cowboy", Big Bert boson (who I have seen a few times around Hull), Shagger Shenton, Terry Frith , John Bates, David Box.....just a few.
As I said Im still in touch with Paul Wright and Tim Hughes who was cadet then went on to be 2nd mate. Andy Kerrison has just got in touch on facebook a couple of weeks ago.
I`ll leave it here for now, please post if you remember me, had some great times but think I left at the right time.

John Watson (ex galley rat/steward and cook)
Old 23rd November 2015, 21:55

My location
Hi John ...
Never came across you but I sailed as Mate with the late 'Mr!' Shenton on the Eastgate in Feb/March 86 on the Irish run.
Quite a few of the other names are Rockie ones who I remember well.
Old 23rd November 2015, 22:43
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1984 - 1994

Hi Derek,
My first Rockies was the Echoman in May 86 with Captain Bates.
Sad to hear Captain Shenton has passed, I sailed with him a few times and always got on well with him last time may have been 96 on the Eastgate , a nice bloke with a good sense of humour.
I believe a lot of our ex ship mates have now passed, I left at the age of 26 but will always look back on all of those I met during my time at sea with very fond memories.
Old 25th November 2015, 09:09

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watto68 View Post
Hi Derek,
My first Rockies was the Echoman in May 86 with Captain Bates.
I was regular 2nd mate on the Echoman with Jo Wilson as mate - John Bates was skipper, along with Capt Charlesworth and the late Capt Dave Cummins.

This was June - November 1986 and we were trading up and down the east coast from Immingham.
Old 30th November 2015, 18:44

Hi Dennis,
I remember sailing with you on the Bridgeman you had just got your Chiefs ticket. Alan Parry was 2nd Eng. and I was 3rd Eng.
Happy Days
Leo
Old 3rd December 2015, 22:17

Captain John Phillips

Hi all Ex Rowbotham Personnel and James Fisher Personnel.
Sad to inform that John passed away this afternoon,as I have been informed by his son Chris, a good friend and fellow Mason who will be missed by all who knew him, my condolences to all the family
Old 3rd December 2015, 22:52
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1942 - 1956

My location
John Phillips

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianian View Post
Hi all Ex Rowbotham Personnel and James Fisher Personnel.
Sad to inform that John passed away this afternoon,as I have been informed by his son Chris, a good friend and fellow Mason who will be missed by all who knew him, my condolences to all the family
Sad news.
I was sitting with John at a meeting in Carmarthen on Tuesday night RIP
Old 4th December 2015, 08:06

My location
So sorry to hear the sad news, John and I were shipmates many years ago and I met him many times since, he was always good company, always cheery.
My deepest sympathies to your family Chris. Bruce.
Old 4th December 2015, 08:44

So very sorry to hear the sad news, John and I were also shipmates and superintendents some years ago. There was never a dull moment when he was around and he had a wicked sense of humour.
My deepest sympathies to all your family Chris.
ColinB
Old 4th December 2015, 08:52

My location
Sad news indeed - I have just spoken with Mike Cotton and he too was very upset to hear the news as he was speaking with John only recently about meeting up in Tenby.

Thoughts and sympathy go to all the family.

Last edited by derekhore; 4th December 2015 at 09:06..
Old 5th December 2015, 13:43
Active: 1985 - Present

Capt John F. Phillips

All,

Dads funeral arrangements are as follows;

Friday the 18th December 2015

12:30, church service at St Katherines Church, Milford Haven followed by internment at Parc Gwyn Crematorium, Narberth.

The family will then be providing light refreshments back at the Milford Haven Masonic Club in Milford Haven.

Family flowers only and donations in lieu of flowers to the Mark Benevolent Fund or the RNLI through the funeral directors Tom Newing & Sons (01646 693180)

Chris.

Last edited by DanSevern; 5th December 2015 at 15:07.. Reason: Date missing
Old 5th December 2015, 14:43

My location
Chris ..

I have passed the funeral info on to Bryan Porter and C/E Mike Cotton.

Unfortunately I cannot attend due to the traveling times from her in Torbay, but my thoughts will be with you all.
Found memories on John traversing the accomodation ladder onto the Tillerman on Texaco 5 - armed with newspapers and various other bits & pieces!!

Condolences to all the family .. remember me to Kevin.
Old 5th December 2015, 16:30
callpor callpor is offline   SN Supporter
Active: 1962 - Present

My location
Sorry to hear the sad news about John Phillips. Although it is many years since I last saw him, I got to know him well whilst I was Chartering Superintendent for Esso UK during the 1980's. RIP John.
Old 13th February 2016, 10:24
Active: 1976 - Present

Hello everyone,
A very interesting read. Just thought I would clear up a few facts. Rockies had two types of trainees, class 5 trainees who started as deck boys and Short Sea Trade cadets who obviously started as cadets. "Clive the Glove" was Clive Stevens not Spurrier! Any ship Clive sailed on had a desperate shortage of Chemical gauntlets! Enough said.
Bob Ord: Foreign Going Master with several deep sea companies, Vetting Departments at Total and Shell, Presently Owners Representative for Singapore based owner.
Terry Frith: Technical Manager for CDI, Retired last month.
Graham Westgarth: Master and Marine Manager Maersk, Vice President Marine operations Teekay Shipping Worldwide, Chairman of Intertanko, Retired from Teekay in 2013 and now the Chief Operating Executive Officer for Gaslog, owners of large LNG vessels.
Terry Hitchens: Master Whitakers, followed by Marine Superintendent Whitakers and currently, Berthing/Loading Master for ConocoPhillips at the Tetney Oil Terminal, Humber.
Harry Williams: 1976 - 1989: Cadet to Mate Rockies. 1989 - 1996 Master Whitakers, 1996 - 98: Marine Superintendent Whitakers. 1998 - 2000: Group Operations Manager. 2000 - 2010: Main Board Operations Director Whitakers. 2010: Retired, completed Hons degree in Nautical Science and established Marine Consultancy, Employs 4 Masters, 2 C.Eng.'s carrying out Sire, CDI, TMSA Audits, Sale & Purchase audits and work for several law firms. Also an associate for Duke Austin.
Neil Lovesy: Left Rockies to achieve Foreign Going Sea Time with Maersk, Graduated to Master with Maersk and now Master on Shell Qatar Max/Qatar Flex LNG vessels.
Jim Podger: Master with Maersk.
All above is 100% accurate, hope it is helpful?
PS: In my humble opinion Rockies went to the dogs as soon as Wallem's and the rest of the chancers got involved. I personally owe everything to the training I received at Rockies by people like Frank Craske, John Bates, Willie Millar, Daisy, Graham Westgarth, Bob Ord, Terry Frith, Chris Ford, Ian Shields, Dave Laverick, John Phillips and too many more to mention.
Old 13th February 2016, 11:24
Active: 1966 - 2009

I believe "Oilman" (the RMAS one) sometime in the late 80s early 90s - from Rosyth to Sunderland for limited refit - called Sunderland pilots with ETA and caused a bit of confusion initially as apparently the "Oilman" (the Rowbotham's one) had sailed an hour or so previously! Must have been late 80s early 90s.
Old 13th February 2016, 16:26

My location
Jim Podger was good friends with Tim Kelly from Bridport - Tim was a Class V who I keep in regular contact with, he is now a Marine Superintendent for the ExxonMobil Corporation out in Papua New Guinea
Old 14th February 2016, 10:34

Tim has been working on FPS0 projects for a number of years, I am guessing about 12. I worked on a joint risk assessment project in the Channel Islands with him about that long ago and he was going to his first one in the Far East a short while later. He was a good chap Tim.
Old 14th February 2016, 13:46

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winmar View Post
He was a good chap Tim.
He certainly was - I trained him well on the 'Tillerman' around the Western Isles!!
Old 23rd February 2016, 17:07

Yes indeed, I did 3 or 4 trips as 2nd mate on there with Captain John Marsden when my principal duty after Navigation was as Master Brewer and Sampler. The experience has served me well over the years.
Old 23rd February 2016, 17:19

My location
It was I who started the brewing on the Tillerman! 11.45am each day was the BJA with the late Capt John .. Blue Jug Assembly on the bridge when home brew was available for anyone awake!
Brewed in the owners cabin where there was an ideal fermenting temperature, the smell was just divine below decks!

So when exactly were you on the Tillerman - for the Western Isles run I take it?