Rowbotham Tankships Ltd - Page 14 - Ships Nostalgia
17:34

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Rowbotham Tankships Ltd

User Tag List

Old 2nd March 2016, 13:41
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Navigation
Active: 1976 - Present

I am trying to find my first discharge book as I know it was pre 88! Will revert with some dates in due course!
Old 26th March 2016, 16:30

Ah found it! I was 2nd mate on the Little Tillerman for all of August and September 1983 and was signed off by Captain John Marsden. I returned as Chief Mate in March and April 1985, I was signed off by John Browning. I joined the ship in Grangemouth in 1983, left her in Rosyth. I joined in Stanlow in 1985 and left her in Rotterdam.
Old 29th March 2016, 08:10
Department: Deck
Active: 1970 - 1987

My location
I was 2nd mate on the Little Tillerman for all of August and September 1983 and was signed off by Captain John Marsden.

I was 2nd mate/Mate on her from 01.August.1983 (Penzance d/d) to 19.October.1983 (Belfast) with John Marsden.

I returned as Chief Mate in March and April 1985, I was signed off by John Browning.

I was Mate on the Pointsman and Leadsman over March/April 1985 until I rejoined the Tillerman in Rotterdam on 30.April.1985.

I joined the ship in Grangemouth in 1983, left her in Rosyth. I joined in Stanlow in 1985 and left her in Rotterdam.

Must have sailed with you in 1983 then - and relieved you in 1985!!
Old 29th March 2016, 09:52

Hi Derek, you may have been mate when I was there in 83. Sorry I cannot remember. You definitely relieved me in 85 though. But I have a feeling it was a running Handover as I literally joined the Cableman the next day in Eastham were I relieved Dick Stevenson. I spent the next two years alternating between the Cableman and Tankerman as chief mate before spending my last two years with Rockies as back to back chief mate with Ewan Morrison on the Orionman on the then new, paired manning scheme. The last two years funnily enough were my happiest in Rockies with Willie Millar, Tony Duffin, Ian Shields, Graham Bryan, Graham Davis and Neil Lovesy. Great lads all and we never stopped laughing from sign on to sign off. When I left to join Whitakers, Willie let me have lots of Shiphandling practice and him and Ian both threw me a lovely leaving do in Swansea onboard when they presented me with an Edinburgh crystal decanter and glasses which I still treasure.
Old 29th March 2016, 10:13

My location
I joined in Rotterdam with the relieving C/E George Cornwell (ex Quarteman) and had trouble getting him out of the airport bar! I know we had little time before sailing.
Can I ask you actual name? - you can PM me it if you prefer!!

I sailed with Tricky Dickie Stevenson a couple of times, not sure which vessels though.
Old 29th March 2016, 17:12
Active: 1960 - 1990

Was Troy dickies denholms brgds kev
Old 24th April 2016, 10:40
Active: 1965 - 1983

Heres a question for you Rowbotham men.I have just seen a photo of the Anchorman straddling the River Nene between Sutton Bridge and Wisbech do any of you know what year this happened.
Old 24th April 2016, 10:46

It wasn't me Chief!
Old 24th April 2016, 10:51

Photos of above incident
Old 24th April 2016, 12:33

My location
Hi brooksy ..

No... I didn't know she had straddled the Nene, I believe the 'Tillerman' did much the same thing which affected her load lines somewhat.
There should be a poster here that can answer your question though!
Old 24th April 2016, 13:11

From the information I can gather it happened in thick fog by an outfall of one of the very large drains we have in this area.
Old 25th April 2016, 09:29

My location
I didn't know about the Anchorman incident either, it would probably have happened before my time in the company, without too much damage.
The Nene can be particularly treacherous in dense fog especially on spring tides, the fog comes in across the fen without warning, visibility virtually nil. If I remember correctly on spring tides, there is still some flood stream behind you up to 2 hours after high water. Bruce.
Old 25th April 2016, 09:44

I was not aware of such an incident involving the Anchorman but have a recollection of the Tillerman incident were I believe diggers were used to move the bank sides to allow the vessel to be towed around. It is such along time ago that it would be unfair of me to comment further as all the details are very sketchy to say the least. Capt Price's comments regarding this river however, are very accurate and I would also add that differing wind conditions also had a sizeable impact on the effect of the tide especially at Spring tides. Like DerekHore I also remember having to make allowances on the Tillerman for the effects of hogging and sagging when calculating deadweight and draft following her incident on the Nene.
Old 6th January 2017, 15:09

My location
Since Christmas Day I have been trying to contact retired Chief Engineer MIKE COTTON (also of Clan Line) of Warwick.
We always exchange cards and chat on the phone at Christmas but this year I have been unable to raise him, having received no card and no answer when ringing his number .. as has ex-Personnel Manager Bryan Porter.

Has anyone heard anything regarding his health/whereabouts?

Thanks - Derek
Old 6th January 2017, 15:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekhore View Post
Since Christmas Day I have been trying to contact retired Chief Engineer MIKE COTTON (also of Clan Line) of Warwick.
We always exchange cards and chat on the phone at Christmas but this year I have been unable to raise him, having received no card and no answer when ringing his number .. as has ex-Personnel Manager Bryan Porter.

Has anyone heard anything regarding his health/whereabouts?

Thanks - Derek
Hi Derek, Unfortunately have not heard a word, hope he is okay,
Regards Ian.
Old 6th January 2017, 15:59

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by ianian View Post
Hi Derek, Unfortunately have not heard a word, hope he is okay,
Regards Ian.
Thanks Ian ... Bryan and I will keep trying and hopefully report back in due course.

Regards - Derek
Old 8th January 2017, 09:48

Hi Derek, have you tried contacting Tim Kelly or Ian Pinney? Unfortunately, I don't have any contacts for them but I know that they spoke to Mike on occasion. I hope he is ok and has just moved house or something? I will try a couple of other routes and post if I find anything.
Old 8th January 2017, 09:51

Hi Ian,
I hope you are well? I inspected the Stolt Shearwater at Immingham yesterday. Eric Shearman was the Chief. He was saying he is the last of the Brits but he remembered yourself and Euan. There used to be loads of Brits in Stolt, sad to see the decline. Keep well mate!
Old 8th January 2017, 12:02

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winmar View Post
Hi Derek, have you tried contacting Tim Kelly or Ian Pinney? Unfortunately, I don't have any contacts for them but I know that they spoke to Mike on occasion. I hope he is ok and has just moved house or something? I will try a couple of other routes and post if I find anything.
Hi - yes, I keep in regular touch with Tim, he has not heard from Mike for a long time.
I have written a letter to Mike Cotton now so will hopefully have some more news soon.
Old 8th January 2017, 12:14

OK Derek, hopefully it is good news? Let us know if you hear anything and I will do likewise. We used to give Mike some relief work at the last company after he had retired so I will ask on Monday wether they still have any contact details etc and PM you if I find anything.
Old 12th January 2017, 07:37

My location
Mike Cotton

Sadly I have to report that Mike Cotton (C/E) passed away at the end of last year following an accident.

I received this email from his daughter:

"I'm sorry to have to tell you that Dad passed away at the end of last year, following an accident.
He was still running about and climbing trees with his four Grandsons, well into his 70's.
I had a chat with John Godwin, and Peter Holdstock from MV Wheelsman who told me all about Dads antics whilst away at sea! Nice to hear some funny stories."

My thoughts are with his son & daughter and all of his family.
Old 23rd January 2017, 17:28
Organisation: Port Authorities
Department: Pilotage
Active: 1979 - Present

Mike Cotton

Hi Derek.

So sad to hear about Mike Cotton, I will always remember him as C/E on the Wheelsman 1985 I think when we were in dry dock in Avonmouth sharing the dock with Tankerman. He had his wife and children down staying in their caravan somewhere just outside Bristol.
By a very sad coincidence I'm not sure if you have heard but Gordon Coates who I also sailed with on the Wheelsman was killed in an accident on the Thames last October. He was still working as a Pilot and was killed boarding a ship in Gravesend Reach. Gordon I remember was more known as a chemical ship master, but occasionally came over the clean oil side.
On a happier note through your great work in setting up this site I have re-established contact with Tim Kelly, and Helen and I have been to stay with him and Julie on a couple of occasions now.
Thanks for all you do.
Jon
Old 23rd January 2017, 18:26

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Whitford View Post
Hi Derek.

So sad to hear about Mike Cotton, I will always remember him as C/E on the Wheelsman 1985 I think when we were in dry dock in Avonmouth sharing the dock with Tankerman. He had his wife and children down staying in their caravan somewhere just outside Bristol.
By a very sad coincidence I'm not sure if you have heard but Gordon Coates who I also sailed with on the Wheelsman was killed in an accident on the Thames last October. He was still working as a Pilot and was killed boarding a ship in Gravesend Reach. Gordon I remember was more known as a chemical ship master, but occasionally came over the clean oil side.
On a happier note through your great work in setting up this site I have re-established contact with Tim Kelly, and Helen and I have been to stay with him and Julie on a couple of occasions now.
Thanks for all you do.
Jon
Hi Jon ..

Good to hear from you. Sadly there are just a few of the old 'Tilly' crowd left now, Mike's passing leaves only Bryan Porter for news as Mike had a good contact network going!
I haven't seen Tim & Julie for a good few years now but we keep in touch online, one of these days we will get together again I'm sure.
If you ever hear from any other ex-Rocky staff do let me know and also pass on my best to them too.

Cheers for now
Derek
Old 1st August 2017, 16:33
Department: Engineering

Instrumentation Company

Hello all
Some of you may recall my Father William Hawthorn who owned the Instrumentation Company and myself David Hawthorn who repaired the tankers that berthed in Milford. My first ship was the leadsman and i was amazed at how the chief engineer could operate all the switches and buttons and everything magically worked. Years later I was doing the same thing. I worked on all the ships and was sadly present when the Pointsman exploded in Milford Haven. Keith Holman was the superintendent that we would get our work through. Great times were had on the Rivershannon, Bridgeman, Oarsman helmsman, eastgate tankerman and many more. I do remember Mike Cotton who was a great engineer and a lovely guy.
I miss those great days
Old 2nd August 2017, 08:27

My location
Hello Skyline; I remember your father well, first , during my time with Rowbothams and later when I worked at Texaco Pembroke, he was a sort of fix all when it came to electrical/ electronic problems aboard. We lived in the same village (Hundleton) for a number years> Bruce