Rowbotham Tankships Ltd - Page 5 - Ships Nostalgia
18:54

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Rowbotham Tankships Ltd

User Tag List

Old 11th October 2009, 14:21

Yeah I was one of those Class 5 Trainees too.Joined my first ship Bridgeman at Amoco jetty Milford Haven on a stormy night back in Feb 79 ..Dennis Smith was the Second Mate in his oilskins who helped me on board ! Daisy Andrews was the Master and Tim O'sullivan was the Irish Mate who wore two pairs of glasses at the same time and was known as Mother Superior ..he told me not to read Mayfair and read my Rule of the Road book instead . Nigel Hawker was another Second Mate on there now fishing out of Dorset I am told. I seemed to spend a lot of time on the Wheelsman both as a trainee and 3rd Mate with John Bates ,Noel Williams and Frank Craske as Masters ...Howard Swann and Colin Farmer as Mates and Eddie Jenkins and Kevin Smith (Pugwash) as 2nd mates. Bosun was Ernie Horn and the Donkeyman was old Tommy from Shoreham ...tank cleaning on there was always a major job with those portable washing machines and fans . Only Ex Rowbotham Class 5 s I know of now are Jim Podger who is Master with Maersk Tankers, Chris Poole-Gleed who has his own Sawmill and Stuart Vallis who has his own Marine Consultants Company . I left in 1983 and decided tankers were no longer an option as I prefered General Cargo .
Old 16th October 2009, 15:23
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1970 - 1987

My location
Ah...Colin Farmer, there's a name!

He was mate on the Tillerman before me, guy from Scotland (Falkirk?), always phoning home and his wife was never in!!

I remember in Cowes when he went ashore on a bender, Trevor Hill was the skipper....Colin arrived back in the nick of time, just as pilot Henry Wrigley had decided we must put to sea!
Colin managed to stagger up onto the focsle, assisted with untying and then just as we were leaving Medina wharf....he let go the st'bd anchor!

Brilliant!!

I think he was transfered to the Wheelsman from the Tilly in Milford, I remember John Phillips coming aboard and saying Colin wanted his calculator sent over ... so we put it in an envelope with some 'gay' mags that had found their way on board!!

Happy days.

Ex-class 5 Tim Kelly I occasionally hear from, lives in Bridport, married with 2 kids and now works for Exxon in Nigeria I think.

Do you remember Frank Belton .. class 5?

I remember the name Nigel Hawker, I think he may have been mate on the Guidesman for a few of the Island trips, possibly also saied on the Tilly too.
Old 30th October 2009, 15:21

My location
In fact ... Tim Kelly has just registered on this site today!!

Welcome Timbo!!
Old 3rd December 2009, 21:13

Colin works in the Solent now, Mate on the Whitonia, he has not changed an inch since Rockies. Other Class 5 old boys in residence here are Harry Williams Operations Director, Terry Hitchens Mate and Gary Holmes Mate. I was only ever a part timer!
Old 7th December 2009, 18:19

My location
Thanks... If you ever bump into Colin please pass my best wishes onto him.

Derek
Old 31st December 2009, 16:11

hi there,i was with rockies from sept 84 till june 87,helmsman,wheelsman ,stellaman,marsman,tankerman and bridgeman really enjoyed my time there usually a good bunch of lads,but deep sea was calling and i was off just as the company was flagging out to the iom.best wishes malcolm
Old 11th January 2010, 14:29

My location
You left just before me ... July 87 I left the Stellaman at Immingham .. just as they were about to transfer her over to IoM .. Dave Cummins was the Captain then, ex-BP.

I actually have the ships stamp in my Discharge book showing the PoR as London & then Douglas!!
Old 2nd February 2010, 11:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianian View Post
Malcolm Johnson is retired with a pension from Stolts after injuring himself very seriously in the E/R generator blew up, his wife asked for a divorce while he was in hospital almost on his deathbed.
With respect to IANIAN and Iím sure there was no malice intended when he added the above into the thread but I have been troubled by the statement since reading it some months ago and know for a fact that it is not correct.

It is not my place to inform an open forum about the gentleman concerned situation and nor do I wish to enter into any debate about the matter but I feel aggrieved when such a post appears with information about an individual which is not accurate.
Old 5th February 2010, 08:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by willincity View Post
With respect to IANIAN and Iím sure there was no malice intended when he added the above into the thread but I have been troubled by the statement since reading it some months ago and know for a fact that it is not correct.

It is not my place to inform an open forum about the gentleman concerned situation and nor do I wish to enter into any debate about the matter but I feel aggrieved when such a post appears with information about an individual
which is not accurate.
I am sorry that you feel offended but this was told to me by some one else,i.e. the man him self,Malcolm, and I had hearsay off others. I knew Malcolm very well as I was his Chief Engineer on the Polarisman, and he was my 2/eng , maybe he was confused, what do you think,I do not know you as you have got, just this nom de plume .
Old 6th February 2010, 12:02

"Rowbotham", published by the World Ship Society (of which I'm Member No: 4994)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Man View Post
I wonder if you guys know that a book about the Rowbotham company and fleet was published by the World Ship Society a few years ago.
It's called "Rowbotham", published by the World Ship Society in 2002 but a magnificently-comprehensive fleet biography compiled by a Reverend Hucker when he was with the Missions of Seamen @ Milford Haven.
Old 7th February 2010, 18:47

My location
Indeed Dennis ....

Mike Cotton told me about it a year or so ago and I purchased a copy from ebay shortly afterwards.

A great read for all ex-Rockies .. and some good photo's too.
Old 8th March 2010, 10:40
Active: 1981 - 1983

My location
Hi from Matt, ex class 5. I have been AWOL for the last 7 months. I opened my own cafe last August just after my last posting. It has been an experience!

If any Irish members are passing Celbridge, Co. Kildare please call in to Halo Cafe, just beside the front door of Tesco. Home made scones, real brown bread and big mugs of tea.

Same goes for anyone travelling just get off in Dublin and head west 14 miles.

who would have thought it a Deckie cooking more than toast!

Have fun
Matt
Old 8th March 2010, 16:39

My location
Hi Matt...

I take it that is your page on Facebook?

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Halo-C...5981212?v=info

Just checking before 'Becoming a Fan' !!
Old 19th March 2010, 00:27
Active: 1981 - 1983

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by derekhore View Post
Hi Matt...

I take it that is your page on Facebook?

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Halo-C...5981212?v=info

Just checking before 'Becoming a Fan' !!
Hi Derek
Yes that is my facebook page along with photos of how we built the cafť last year. My website is halocafe.ie. still working on getting it looking a bit better.

Many thanks

Matt
Old 24th December 2010, 12:14

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by tabnab44 View Post
I seemed to spend a lot of time on the Wheelsman both as a trainee and 3rd Mate with John Bates ,Noel Williams and Frank Craske as Masters ...Howard Swann and Colin Farmer as Mates and Eddie Jenkins and Kevin Smith (Pugwash) as 2nd mates. Bosun was Ernie Horn and the Donkeyman was old Tommy from Shoreham ...tank cleaning on there was always a major job with those portable washing machines and fans .
You would remember Mike Cotton then, Chief Engineer on the Wheelsman for a long time?

Only ex-Rockie I hear from now ...will be speaking to him tomorrow in our annual Christmas conference call!
Old 25th December 2010, 06:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekhore View Post
You would remember Mike Cotton then, Chief Engineer on the Wheelsman for a long time?

Only ex-Rockie I hear from now ...will be speaking to him tomorrow in our annual Christmas conference call!
Hi Derek,
Wishing you and all ex Rockies men a Merry Christmas & a Happy New Year, I see you say you are talking to Mike Cotton, is he on Skype ?? and if so, have you his e mail address and Skype name by any chance.

Regards
ianian (Ian Shields)
Old 25th December 2010, 12:09

My location
Hi Ian...

No, Mike does not 'do' computers, telephone only!
Sadly he had the cheek to be out when I called him earlier, so left a message, will doubtless speak later.

Started the day with a Rusty Buchan special ...fresh Bucks Fizz as was the norm on the Tillerman whilst on the Highland & Island run .. a tradition I am now proud to continue.

Seasons greetings to one & all.
Old 7th January 2011, 12:34

My location
Capt Crowhurst, Wheelsman

Can anyone tell me whatever became of Capt Crowhurst the first skipper of the Wheelsman?. I joined her as a 17 year old fresh from sea school whilst she was fitting out at Clelands on the Tyne, there was only Capt Crowhurst, the CE and myself for about 6 weeks before sea trials, Capt Crowhurst always wore uniform and put the fear of god in me, as she was my first ship the 6 weeks were spent exploring, I was still living at home in Sunderland and getting the bus to the Tyne tunnel and walking the rest of the way to the yard listening to Hi Ho Silver Lining by Jeff Beck on my cassette player.
Kind regards, Steve.

Last edited by Steve Gray; 7th January 2011 at 12:40..
Old 7th January 2011, 17:25

My location
Hello Steve; I think that the Wheelsman may have been Captain Crowhursts' last command in the company, I don't remember him on any other vessels after that. As to what became of Capt. Crowhurst after Rowbothams, I do not know. Bruce.
Old 15th March 2011, 22:23
Department: Engineering
Active: 1959 - 2003

Hi there
A number of years ago I retired from Fishers, I was chief engineer on the Severn Fisher and I was wondering if any body had heard of three friends of mine and what they were doing, Capt. George Mount, Mate Peter Maris and second engineer Hughie Henderson, thanking you in advance.
John
Old 16th March 2011, 09:38

My location
Peter Marris ... there's a name from the past too!

If I remember, he held/holds the world record for sicknotes!! )
Old 16th March 2011, 14:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by jehumble View Post
Hi there
A number of years ago I retired from Fishers, I was chief engineer on the Severn Fisher and I was wondering if any body had heard of three friends of mine and what they were doing, Capt. George Mount, Mate Peter Maris and second engineer Hughie Henderson, thanking you in advance.
John
George has been retired almost 3 years now, if not longer,still living in Leeds and doing very well, I was with him, D.B Owen, Ian Storie, Dave Cummins and few others just over a year ago. We managed a few beers over lunch in Leeds, a very good day that turned out to be.

Not sure about Peter Maris but did hear he was very poorly but that was a long time back (6 years or more probably)

Hughie Henderson, aka Burl Ives, a very nice guy, I was aware he sailed with Rowbothams although we never crossed over then. I knew him from deep sea days in the seventies.
Did he live in the Shoreham area?
Old 16th March 2011, 18:52

My location
I think PM had back trouble very badly .. not sure if he didn't leave the Company before I did.
Old 16th March 2011, 22:11
Department: Engineering
Active: 1959 - 2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by willincity View Post
George has been retired almost 3 years now, if not longer,still living in Leeds and doing very well, I was with him, D.B Owen, Ian Storie, Dave Cummins and few others just over a year ago. We managed a few beers over lunch in Leeds, a very good day that turned out to be.

Not sure about Peter Maris but did hear he was very poorly but that was a long time back (6 years or more probably)

Hughie Henderson, aka Burl Ives, a very nice guy, I was aware he sailed with Rowbothams although we never crossed over then. I knew him from deep sea days in the seventies.
Did he live in the Shoreham area?
Sorry to hear about Peter, we had some good times together. I think you may have the wrong Hughie Henderson, as far as I know he came from Liverpool, outwardly a real rough diamond but once you knew him a different person alltogether.
Old 18th March 2011, 13:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by jehumble View Post
I think you may have the wrong Hughie Henderson, as far as I know he came from Liverpool, outwardly a real rough diamond but once you knew him a different person alltogether.
I definitely have the wrong person; the Hughie I know cretainly lived on the South Coast and a mirror image of Burl Ives, apologies for making the assumption.