Stricks - Ships Nostalgia
17:16

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Stricks

User Tag List

Old 11th April 2010, 20:03

Stricks

I served my time with Frank C.Strick & Co. from 1959 until 1963. I was 3rd.mate for two years after that. Ships served on were the "Baluchistan", "Farsistan", Khuzistan", Gorjistan" and "Floristan". Would like to hear from anyone who sailed with me during this period.
Cheers
Tony Shaw.
Old 12th April 2010, 16:40
Super Moderator

Smile Welcome

A warm welcome Tony. There are a number of Members who sailed with Strick and I hope that you find some of your shipmates
Old 13th April 2010, 18:58

Thanks Fred - all the very best to to you.
Old 17th November 2010, 17:24

Hi Tony, I see you have started a thread here in April 2010 on joining and have been busy posting and making time to acknowledge my mail via another MN site. Anyway happy retirement and long may you retain your happy memories of sailing in generally comfortable and happy ships with Stricks. When I was aboard the old SS Afghanistan at one time for a visit, her interior was of the highest order with wooden finishing. similarly my memories of the SS Tabaristan which I joined in 1959 were of a similar comfort. I liked the pleasing lines of many Readhead ships and in particular the colouring of the hull and chevron funnel markings of Strick Line vessels.
Old 17th November 2010, 22:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Shaw View Post
I served my time with Frank C.Strick & Co. from 1959 until 1963. I was 3rd.mate for two years after that. Ships served on were the "Baluchistan", "Farsistan", Khuzistan", Gorjistan" and "Floristan". Would like to hear from anyone who sailed with me during this period.
Cheers
Tony Sha w.
WELCHLECKY
Hi, Tony, I'M sure our paths must have crossed, I was on the Baluchistan, in 1959 in Newcastle, and again in1960 in Liverpool ,as standby lecky,I started in 1956 on the GOULISTAN,then MURISTAN, TURKISTAN, REGISTAN, then joined the BAHARISTAN, being built in dundee, thenon to the BALTISTAN,I left in1961, but the call was to strong,and did one more trip on the BAHARISTAN in 1964,
Old 20th November 2010, 08:15
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1966 - 1981

john

Quote:
Cheers
Tony Shaw.
hello Tony, joined Baluchistan (my first ship ) 1967, jun eng, the only name I can think of at the moment is 2nd eng Peewee Crooks and Ch eng Dennis Shipley thats a long time ago !!
Old 21st November 2010, 13:34

Hello Welchlecky/

I cannot remember any Welsh electricians but perhaps, if I had a name,I may recognise it. As you say, our paths must have crossed somewhere along the line. Thank you for replying.
Take care
Old 21st November 2010, 13:42

Hello John/

In 1967 I was working ashore as Lockmaster on Latchford Locks on the Manchester Ship Canal so I cannot remember the people you mention. Was she in P & O colours by then ? They never looked as good in their new livery. What did you do after the "Baluchistan" ?
Old 28th May 2011, 18:15

Farsistan/GCXH 1970

Tony

I was junior R/O on the m.v. Farsistan in 1990- South about- Gulf- India- USA (Boston & Gulf) into Med.10 ports and home to UK.

6 Months 23 Days with Snr. R/O. Wilf Williams of Crewe.

Happy Days !.

Capt. Ryder. C/Off. Jake Scallan (Liverpool Irish).

My mate 3Eng. Mel. Cross from Crewe

Colman
Old 28th May 2011, 19:11
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Navigation
Active: 1974 - Present

Quote:
Cheers
Tony Shaw.
Long after your time, I sailed on the Strathatlow, which had fomerly been the Gorgistan, as a cadet in 1976. The Captain was a Stick Line man, Arthur W Jones. An interesting character .......
I still recall the wood panelling in the public areas of the ship. I am sure in her heyday, she must have been quite something.

Cheers
Old 28th May 2011, 22:38

Tony

Correction I was on Farsistan 1970.

Sorry

Colman
Old 30th May 2011, 11:40

Hello Colman

Yes, just before your correction I was going to query the year even though they were very well built ships and I'm they would have lasted a bit longer.I just did the one trip on the "Farsistan". After the Gulf ports we loaded sugar in Mauritius for Toronto then tobacco in Norfolk,Va. For the UK. Take care
Tony
Old 30th May 2011, 11:43

Hello Captain Jeremy/

Yes the "Gorjistan" was a nice vessel, as were all Strick Line vessels. They had nice lines and were well built. I cannot recall an Arthur Jones, but I left the company in 1965. Take care
Tony
Old 4th June 2011, 21:26

Hello All, My first voyage as a Jnr R/O was on the Armanistan. Chief R/O was Angus McNeil from the Island of Barra. November 1962 Salford Dock to the Persian Gulf, most ports including Basra then to Bombay and returned to Liverpool. Quite an experience for a young 19 year old lad. Regards Keith.
Old 3rd October 2012, 14:47

Adeline Street

Hello Welchlecky,

I recently had an e mail from an old shipmate tony Shaw with reference to a threat he thought I might be interested in. I was in the process of looking it up when I came across your reply. I am fairly sure from your CV that you are my old next door (but one) neighbour.

If so, I would love to hear from you

Regards

Bernard Toft

Quote:
Originally Posted by welchlecky View Post
WELCHLECKY
Hi, Tony, I'M sure our paths must have crossed, I was on the Baluchistan, in 1959 in Newcastle, and again in1960 in Liverpool ,as standby lecky,I started in 1956 on the GOULISTAN,then MURISTAN, TURKISTAN, REGISTAN, then joined the BAHARISTAN, being built in dundee, thenon to the BALTISTAN,I left in1961, but the call was to strong,and did one more trip on the BAHARISTAN in 1964,
Old 3rd October 2012, 15:36

Smile Happy Days

Hi BERNARD, remember you well, and all the familey, yes it's derek from 18 adeline street, glad to see you done well, and enjoyed your time with STRICKS, I certently did,hope to hear from you again,regards DEREK .
Old 5th October 2012, 17:10

Hi Derek,

I was fairly certain it was indeed you, great to hear from you after all these years. I hope you and all your family are well.

I have something belonging to you which I would very much like to return.

Can you contact me at [email protected] please.

Best Regards

Bernard
Old 16th May 2014, 15:59
Organisation: Other Merchant Fleets
Department: Office / Administration

Smile Long time Bernard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard Toft View Post
Hi Derek,

I was fairly certain it was indeed you, great to hear from you after all these years. I hope you and all your family are well.

I have something belonging to you which I would very much like to return.

Can you contact me at [email protected] please.

Best Regards

Bernard
Hi Bernard, long time since we sailed together on the Gorjistan with P. W. Price. I was 3rd mate if you recall. Last I heard you were thinking about stevedoring in Durban and ended up in the Irish Navy or Coastguard! I've been ashore for a number of years now managing Western Ferries on the Clyde. Hope all's well with you and yours.

Best Regards
Eric bomber brown.
Old 18th September 2015, 16:36

SS Khuzistan

I was searching the Internet for SS Khuzistan, and found this (old) thread. My father, (Edward) Trevor Powell served on the Khuzistan right at the start of his career, probably about 1948-ish. I'm interested in hearing from anyone, about him or the ship ...