Alwyn Vintcent - Page 4 - Ships Nostalgia
05:30

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Alwyn Vintcent

User Tag List

Old 31st July 2010, 11:47

Sorry Sir I am not to blame, I do not know the owner personally, I am very disappointed that the vessel has not been kept up to scratch and that the contractors have not been paid for their hard work and effort. (Probably a little embarrest as well an Aussie letting down the team.) I fear that the Alwyn will be scrapped, and that will be a terrible shame for maritime history. I just wish I knew what to do?
Regards,
Seamus.

Last edited by SeamusMartin; 31st July 2010 at 11:49..
Old 9th August 2010, 19:09

Nope, we don't blame you either.

Somehow a solution needs to be found so all parties are happy. No one wants to see the ship scrapped either.
Old 31st August 2010, 18:49

Thumbs down

Owner has had a scrap dealer look at ship. Nice one!
Old 3rd September 2010, 02:33

Thanks Mendi for the bad news. Whoever is responsible for letting the Alwyn Vintcent get to this state should, amongst other things, carry an ongoing burden of guilt and suffer many sleepless nights. Such a beautiful and historic little ship meeting such an end.
Old 3rd September 2010, 10:10

Yes. A local group did offer to purchase the ship for preservation, but the owner said "it all depends on what we receive as an offer from the scrap dealer"!!! So clearly those are their intentions! We don't get it as why bother purchasing a ship, restore it, leave it to rot and then sell it for scrap?
Old 27th October 2010, 11:14

saved at the 11th hour. More news to follow shortly.
Old 5th November 2010, 11:20

Thumbs up

Vessel is now owned by a South African and will be taken ashore for preservation. Thanks to all who were involved.
Old 7th November 2010, 12:54

Mendi, do you mean the Alwyn will be permanently preserved as a non floating ship or is this a temporary measure? Either way it is good to hear that she has been preserved and not scrapped.
Old 17th November 2010, 14:55

Correct, she will be placed ashore in a specially prepared dry-dock, then restored to working order. As it will then be situated about 5km away from the largest man-made freshwater dam anything is possible! Ship will be taken about 100km inland. I will keep everyone updated.
Old 17th November 2010, 15:35
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1955 - Present

Hi Mendi: this is good news. I did many a happy delivery trip as 'skipper' on the Alwyn Vincent from Mossel Bay to Port Elzabeth and back when she did relief duties and annual 'lay up' in Port Elizabeth. I spent a few days camped out on her bridge in Mossel Bay during 'high holiday season' as there were no hotel rooms available ashore waiting for the wind to abate. The rest of th crew of course lived in Mossel Bay. That Italian built class of pilot boat / tug were good sea boats up to force 6! After that they submerged!
Old 19th December 2010, 06:04

Mendi, best wishes for Christmas and New Year and thank you for keeping us informed about the saga of the Alwyn Vintcent. Cheers, JeffM
Old 9th February 2011, 11:11

Well that was close, well done to all involved. I would love to see any pictures of the big move when it happens.
Old 12th January 2012, 12:03

Do our South African friends have any further news on the fate of the Alwyn Vintcent or her progress in being preserved as an out of water historic ship?
Old 12th January 2012, 12:47

My location
Try this link...

http://www.alwynvintcent.co.za/
Old 24th February 2012, 23:22

Hi Mendi, How are things going over there with the AV.

Last pics I saw she was stripped down to the deck almost ready for road transport.

I would be keen to hear and see how things are progressing.

One of my work colleagues who is from Johannesburg remembers the AV quite well and he was quite chuffed when I showed him the latest from the website.

On a note from over here in Sydney our Ferry Baragoola is coming along very well. I personally am not as involved as when we were fighting to save her but still donate bits and pieces to assist the restoration and visit a few times a year.

Cheers Ric.
Old 5th March 2012, 12:43

Hi there

I have no idea whats happening except that road transport slated for May.

Good news re Baragoola though.
Old 4th May 2012, 14:31

She has been slipped, is on a multi-axle trailer and en route to Villiersdorp. ETA Sunday.
Old 6th March 2013, 03:03

There are excellent pictures and videos of the move on the website above.
Old 10th March 2013, 04:30
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1944 - 1953

hy ref knot.12-1-2012, 22:47.i have been reading this thread re:alwyn vintcent i was verry inpressed with the attempt to save this small craft.i went to your link.and it showed,photos of her.being transported to her base for scrapping and painting.also a company who will clean her hull but also provide al the paint to paint the whole boat,it seems tha she is truly saved.you have all done a fine job in preserving your shipping history.great post.happy sailing.ben27
Old 10th March 2013, 10:07

My location
It is a feel-good story, isn't it? Sadly that webside seems to have stalled a bit - the information seems a bit old. I'll try finding a bit of recent progress if I can.
Old 25th March 2013, 03:36

My location
http://www.alwynvintcent.co.za/AVnews/news31/news31.htm

Is this new news or old news? A good read anyway! :-)
Old 26th March 2013, 02:33
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1944 - 1953

good day reef knot,yesterday,12:36 re:your link.i have just watched it,great photos.what a great and dedicated team of restorers,thanks for showing.have a good day,ben27
Old 7th April 2013, 21:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef Knot View Post
http://www.alwynvintcent.co.za/AVnews/news31/news31.htm

Is this new news or old news? A good read anyway! :-)
Vessel is in Villiersdorp. Saw it last week. She is safe.
Old 5th July 2018, 19:45

And on Facebook it appears the same person who was involved with the tug is now trying to save the HMAS Curlew. Kris Mitchell / Gordon Bashford.
Old 21st May 2019, 21:16

alwyn vincent - sas somerset

hello all - my post is a little late - i know - but here goes - the last time i saw anything on the av - she was in villiersdorp - 400 km north of capetown - but all efforts to contact queries - have been met with ... nothing - she is under the guardianship of the local tractor club ! having said that - at least they are putting in a effort - the sad news here is - that her companion of many years in cape town - sas somerset - has officially received the nod to be broken up - the naval base in simonstown - to be it shortly - do not want her ! and the vessel is leaking oil - i do have the report on file as to the decision - on another note - the sas durban - jr more and ulundi in durban - are not faring well either - i have been told the jr was due to go into dry dock for cleaning - but again - no report back - all 3 vessels are in a bad state - as per my last visit in feb 2019 - i have an extensive file on av including her being transferred to her final resting place - if anyone is interested - contact me via pvt message with your email
Attached Images
File Type: jpg alwyn vincent restoration.JPG (100.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg alwyn vincent (1).jpg (353.2 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg alwyn vincent (2).jpg (235.4 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg alwyn vincent - sas somerset .jpg (231.6 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg alwyn vincent to villiersdorp.jpg (192.5 KB, 0 views)