British Dredging - Page 2 - Ships Nostalgia
16:28

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

British Dredging

User Tag List

Old 22nd December 2012, 22:42
Organisation: Tugs
Department: Deck
Active: 1980 - 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by capital3 View Post
Anyone have any info on British Dredging and their Ships. I was Chief Engineer of the Bow Queen in the 60s and would love to see some photos of her.

All the Ships in the Fleet started with "Bow=====. The Bow Belle was the Dredger that ran over the Marchioness on the Thames with a great loss of life.
the video: http://www.isaris.nl/ppm/dredging/in...ie=FcuOMMxZHfE
Old 23rd December 2012, 13:35
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Navigation
Active: 1977 - 1988

Tried to watch that. Afraid I couldn't watch such a sad end to a ship I had the 'pleasure' of sailing in (directly pre-Marchioness, there but for the Grace of God go I ). She wasn't a bad ship, or badly crewed, just the wrong place at the wong time.
Rob
Old 29th January 2013, 14:53

Does anyone have any recollection of the Bowherald and Bowknight ? being laid up in the River Blackwater in the late 1970s or early 1980s ? (See http://www.merseamuseum.org.uk/mmshipping.php )
Old 2nd October 2013, 02:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by NICK_XACT View Post
Hi, you just made the old man's day. sorry did not get you name. if you or anyone has some pics of the crews/ships it would be great if you could send me some (email address removed as per site policy please use PM to make intial contact) as i am trying to put togeather a scrap book type thing for my dad. The only time i see the old (82)fella smile these days is when we are chatting about the times on board and the stuff that went on!

Thanks again as its has made his day

Best Regards
Nick Lines
[email protected]
Well me beloved dad has left port for the last time at the ripe old age of 87 years 11 months - full ahead chief and god bless xxx
Old 3rd April 2014, 20:01

I worked as an engineer mainly at Orchard Wharf back in the 70's. I knew Ossie Osman well and remember the crane drivers Sammy and Bill Bailey, who were based at Orchard Wharf. Ron was the other crane driver based at West Ferry Rd. Had many beers with both who were good card players. The place was ran by an ex copper Jim Barrett and I was still employed when the company was taken over.

I remember working with three fitters, who worked on all the ships, Pete Baggot, Bob Hobbs and Ron Greenwood.

The guys in the office were Brian Dunn, Alan Champness and Mr Griffiths.

We was made redundant in 1983 when Thames Ship Repair was formed and we was based in KG5 dock where I saw the first plane land on the road between where the warehouses used to stand.

After about one year the firm moved to a new yard at Chatham docks, where we parted company. I would be interested if anyone has photos of the two wharves.
Old 2nd August 2014, 14:06

My grandad billy Patterson was engineer on the bowline 50/60s never at home on school holidays I remember two steam dredgers from bowles delorane & sunfold
Old 2nd August 2014, 15:20
Active: 1957 - 1969

I was AB in the Bowpride in the late 60,s
Old 24th December 2014, 16:01

MV Bowqueen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareth Jones View Post
Did'nt the Bow Queen sink in the mouth of the Thames during the late 60's ? If I remember correctly with the loss of the Master and his wife and two crew members ? She must have been subsequently salvaged or was she replaced ?
Hi Gareth. No the Bowqueen sank off Orfordness in the North Sea and not the Mouth of the Thames. The survivors were picked up by the Harwich Lifeboat and taken into Harwich, so were a long way from the Thames. As I explained previously, at the time of this happening I was 2nd Engineer on the Bowquen, but had missed that trip as I was on leave at home in Cardiff. She was on the bottom for about 6 weeks before being lifted and taken to Rotterdam and refitted where I stood by her as Chief Engineer as Cliff Dorman had retired.
Old 31st December 2014, 19:20

Sunfold

I don't know how old you are but if you can remember the Sunfold you must be over 90. Sunfold was the founder or Bowles Sand and Gravel Company's first ship ie George Bowles Senior. His house in Lisvane Cardiff was named after this ship. Before he had a dredger he used to row out from Cardiff on the tide towing a Barge. He would wait for the Tide to ebb and then jump overboard and shovel sand into the Barge by hand. Then wait for the flow and row back and then empty the Barge by hand. They don't make them like that any more.
Old 1st January 2015, 00:39
Active: 1958 - 1975

chasH

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayJordandpo View Post
I recall a dredger mate from Hull called Ronnie Gawthorpe. I was with him in Westminster Dredging or South Coast Shipping, I can't remember. He also went on the anchor handling tugs in the North Sea for either Theriot or Seaspan, there again I can't remember which.
Ray Jordan
Hi Ray I was with Westminster on the Hamble job, Marchwood & in Sweden chas
Old 3rd January 2015, 10:31

Dear capital3 re sunfold I am sure the delorane came before sun fold I was on the bowline aged ten with my grandad billy Patterson towing the delorane to Newport for scrapping the bowcrest was coming down the Usk what a sight bowline and bowcrest heading for the flatholm remember it well by the way only 68
Old 3rd September 2015, 13:04

Sunfold

I think you have the wrong dates. All the ships names starting with BOW[were not built before the Sunfold. The Sunfold was built in the 1930s at least 20 years before George Bowles started having ships built, He first started buying other Sand and Gravel Companies in Cardiff namely Griffiths Sand and Gravel who at that time had 2 ships the Isca and the Instow both registered in Newport. The only other Sand and Gravel Company in those days was Hoveringham who had one ship the Sand Galore. All the Londoin based ships either worked out of Battersea of Orchard Wharf in Poplar. The only other Bowship to work in London for a short spell was the Bowstar (Ray Smart was the Master) but she worked mostly in the Bristol Channel as did the other smaller ships.
You know the Bowles Family involved hands on with the Company were Mr George Bowles Senior. Mr Richard Bowles and Mr Mostyn Bowles
][/B]
Old 17th June 2016, 22:02
Department: Engineering
Active: 1949 - 1976

My father worked with Graham Summerfield - he was a pilot, then a member of Penarth RNLI. I Last saw him when he lived in Lavernock Park. Believe he went into a retirement home a few years back. Great sense of humour!

Last edited by Vilis; 17th June 2016 at 22:10..
Old 17th June 2016, 22:37
Department: Engineering
Active: 1949 - 1976

Anybody remember my dad, Vilis Kuksa? He was know as Billy Stone 'cos few people could pronounce his name. He worked on many of the Bow ships, mainly Crest, Queen, Pride. Often coasting or away for six weeks, home for two.
Old 23rd December 2018, 09:57

There were 4 brothers Fred,Les,George and Tom. Fred and George were both masters, Les was also at sea and ended his days as harbour master in Porthcawl, I sailed with Tom on the Bowstar