J P Webb - Page 3 - Ships Nostalgia
01:17

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

J P Webb

User Tag List

Old 15th October 2012, 04:43
Active: 1966 - 1975

All great stuff, Damn clock keeps ticking though, Cisco, and the times keep a changing. I think you dont realise how good things were until they are past. The master on the McKay was Keeble, Now I dont know If I have it wrong thinking his name was Kable. John Kable or maybe (Keeble) was a Capt'n RN during or after the war. He then in 1970? Captained the "New Endeavour" on her reenactment voyage, Of Captn Cook. voyage. Had A Mutine, at Hawaii as he wouldnt let the crew drink !!!! hahahahahaha... Was an excentric guy. But a wealth of knowledge and experience. had great yarns to tell too... He was over 60 when I knew him and he could still monkey grip his way up and down and stay . Puts a smile on my face just thinking about him.... I think he also ran the new endeavour aground off port Melbourne some where...

Ben
Old 28th September 2016, 04:07

JP Webb

Hi everyone,
The engine from the 1954 JP Webb was saved when the dredge was scrapped in the early 1980s.
The engine was removed and transported to the Geelong Showgrounds where it is now part of the Vintage Machinery display.
The engine is in full working order and is run during the Royal Geelong Show (October 13-16 2016) and the Geelong Classic Truck and Machinery show (January 7-8 2017).
See it in action https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ds-53xPnTYQ
Old 26th November 2018, 02:22

JP Webb

Something I hadn't seen for a long time! Port aft cabin

Cheers

Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrocyte View Post
Hi Phil

I would love to have copies of any photos. I was brought up on the Clyde and -much to late in life and 400 miles away -have recently started a project titled "Clydebuilt". As part of this, and because I was born in Paisley, dredgers interest me. These ships, and their builders deserve to be better known.

Andy Shand
Bristol
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Door Key.jpg (158.8 KB, 12 views)
Old 12th January 2019, 03:43

J P WEBB I certainly was on board for the City of Rayville salvage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pglong12 View Post
Hi All

Still trying to get photos from the Salvage Era 1980-81
During the process of converting the Hopper Barge to a Salvage Vessel as a part of celebrations and a good excuse to take her for a run we steamed her out from the river towards Mornington Pier. We were chased by the Port Authority down the river yelling on a PA "turn this vessel around, Stop this Vessel". They where promptly told to ...............
Funny, they did.

So we proceeded to steam towards Mornington pier. Jack an old Engineer from Texas and I were in the Engine room driving the old girl and running the boilers. Pretty amazing thing to do! Checking the Brg cap temperatures for those that can relate. 1st time always hurts.
Must have been getting pretty close to our destination when the Telegraph goes right off from full ahead to full astern. I never have heard someone go off like Jack did swearing and yelling out "Bloody Speed Boat Drivers, What do they think this is, a bloody speed boat!

We got the engine reversed and he sent me on deck to see what was going down. Well,,,
We were heading at a few knots at around 20 degrees along the wharf and about to impact. The bow ran along the side of the wharf splitting the vertical timbers like twigs. Bang Bang and every time a twig would explode the whole wharf would shake. Grannies became Olympians running faster and faster, It was the most amazing thing I have ever seen. I was surprised that even the police did not come down.
There was pandemonium on board though. Everyone scurrying around trying to hide all the grog. At that point I disappeared back down to the engine room. We had an event free run all the way home to Nth Wharf. I still have my old cabin Key "A Shift" Really loved that ship and the time I worked on her, especially the engine and boilers.

I'll write more some time. I would love to catch up with anyone from that "SS City of Rayville" Salvage Era, Er.. or Kel...!
I had the privilege of piloting the boat in and out the Heads! Would like to catch up with you. Attached is photo taken by concerned Mornington YC member after the WEBB backed into a moored yacht exiting Mornington Pier. Regards Mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_3911.jpg (87.2 KB, 12 views)
Old 12th January 2019, 04:09

JP Webb

Amazing. I have never seen a shot. I was on board! We nearly smashed the wharf.
Can reach me on 0411 191 888 Cheers Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePhelan View Post
I had the privilege of piloting the boat in and out the Heads! Would like to catch up with you. Attached is photo taken by concerned Mornington YC member after the WEBB backed into a moored yacht exiting Mornington Pier. Regards Mike