s.s. Orsova - Page 2 - Ships Nostalgia
00:19

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

s.s. Orsova

User Tag List

Old 28th April 2014, 11:34
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1966 - 1969

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenbeardwell View Post
H Andy, cant recall that night mind you it was a long time ago, you said that you worked down below, do you remember Eng- boilermaker by the name of Mick Wellings he was a great friend of mine, married a aussie girl and moved out to Adelaide in the late sixties Regards curly.B.
Hi Curly,i remember Mick Wellings well he was a good lad, i remember being in the Golden Dragon bar nightclub in Suva with him one time, and in Montys another time.
Andy67
Old 1st May 2014, 16:47
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1962 - 1986

was on the orsova and orcades in 62,as commie waiter on captains table,spilt soup in dame sybil thorndykes,actress/ lap head waiter banned me from restaurant for remainder of trip should never have gone ashore in kingston jamaica,the rest as they say is history,went into the galley and eventually became a chef,couple of ex crew mates jeff hand ,euan heng who is now an artist,/professor in australia
Old 2nd May 2014, 17:08

Talking

Hi John,your story about Sybil was so so funny.

Andy67.
Old 3rd May 2014, 15:37

Hi Andy67, thanks for your reply,thought you might have known mick, do you remember the donkeyman around about that time and he tried to commit suicide, i carried him down to the sick bay over me shoulder from the focastle to the after end, dont know what happend to him afterwards, but they patched him up ok ,also did you know joe shepperd and his mate little danny they was down below in them days regards curly B
Old 5th May 2014, 22:00

Quote:
Hi Andy67, thanks for your reply,thought you might have known mick, do you remember the donkeyman around about that time and he tried to commit suicide, i carried him down to the sick bay over me shoulder from the focastle to the after end, dont know what happend to him afterwards, but they patched him up ok ,also did you know joe shepperd and his mate little danny they was down below in them days regards curly B
Hi Allen, i remember Joe Shepperd well, he was a guy you could never forget. i am not sure about Danny, but i remember the donkeyman his name was Keith and when he tried to top himself ,he went to my cabin and lay on the bottom bunk , there was blood every where. He was getting persecuted by a big yorkie greaser.I shared a cabin with big Charlie Shortridge he was a true gent,happy days.
Andy
Old 6th May 2014, 22:15

Hi Ferrandoh,Thanks for your post, what dates were you on Orcades and also the orsova,may have a couple of pics when i was on them,looking through the archives when found will send them over to you Regards Curly B.
Old 6th May 2014, 22:26

Hi Andy67, got your post ok do you remember a chap by the name of Gerard o-shea got married to a aussie lass and a few of us went to his wedding in Sydney in oct 66 have a pic of the wedding and i think their was a andy in the pic was it possible it was you also in the pic was a leccys mate, let me know and i will send you a copy over regards Curly B.
Old 7th May 2014, 16:26

Smile

Quote:
Hi Andy67, got your post ok do you remember a chap by the name of Gerard o-shea got married to a aussie lass and a few of us went to his wedding in Sydney in oct 66 have a pic of the wedding and i think their was a andy in the pic was it possible it was you also in the pic was a leccys mate, let me know and i will send you a copy over regards Curly B.
I remember the lad but i was not at his wedding , you can send me the picture if you like. Do you remember Bob Wilson who was on the ships committee he was some guy on party nights.
Andy67
Old 13th May 2014, 21:19

Hi Andy67 sent you the pic as discussed wondered if you got it ok, if you did do you reconise any of the poeple on it regards Curly B
Old 14th May 2014, 13:09

missing pic

Quote:
Hi Andy67 sent you the pic as discussed wondered if you got it ok, if you did do you reconise any of the poeple on it regards Curly B
Hi Curly B, so far no pic, i hope life in spain is treating you well.
Andy67
Old 24th October 2014, 12:50
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1971 - 1976

i was on orsova - 72- 73, - bellboy, and winger
Old 28th October 2014, 11:49

Orsova

I was on the Orsova for a couple of years .I had some great and happy times onboard and ashore.
Old 25th December 2014, 02:49

passenger of the orsova 1962

We boarded the Orsova in Fremantle December 18/1962 and arrived exactly one month
Later in Vancouver January 18/1963.
Christmas Day 1962 and New Years Day 1963 were so much fun.
Our waiter in Tourist Dining Room was Sandy Fleming. I actually
Have a picture with my sister, Mr Sandy, and myself taken in the dining room.
I also remember Gerald O’Shea very well. He worked on deck by the pool, and at the time it seemed to me like he was there for a good time. Have no picture of him, but would love to see one.
Old 27th December 2014, 14:00

Re Gerald Oshea

Hi Olga czanc, thank you or your Enquiry About Gerald, I remember Sandy fleming Have got a good picture of Gerald Oshea when he got married in Sydney if you send your E Mail to me i will Post one to you,it also shows afew more Lads that you may know.Regards Allen Beardwell Happy New Year to you.
Old 30th December 2014, 15:55

Received your pictures. The groups picture is
lovely. Thank you for pointing out which one you are.
How great to still have the wedding invitation.
Old 22nd February 2016, 22:16

I was on the Orsova on her maiden voyage in the 50s as the assistant barkeeper.
Old 19th August 2017, 13:16

1959-1960

Hi there, I was wondering if anyone had any information or records of the SS Orsova from 1959 and or 1960?

My grandfather was on the ship on one of these years, maybe even 1961.
He lost his old crew list and itinerary many years ago and I was wondering if any of you knew anyone that might still have them? Or any info of the ship from these years really.

It's his birthday coming up in September and I was hoping to find something for him, maybe even reunite him with old friends.

His name was Joseph Marsh.

If anyone even knows where I can start looking that would be greatly appreciated.

Christian.
Old 17th December 2017, 20:06

Orsova

I'm trying to find sailing dates or cruise number for the Orsova in 1958 from Los Angeles (in May or June) to England. It was a 20-day journey. My mother, my sister, and I were on that cruise. i have photos and memorabilia (Children's Fancy Dress Party invite, etc.). I cannot find more specifics about the sailing dates. I do know that we stopped in Panama City, Trinidad, and Le Havre on the way. Help! When I learn how to post photos, I will.
Old 17th December 2017, 21:25
Department: Deck
Active: 1965 - 1969

My family sailed to Australia on the Orsova on it's maiden voyage, May 1953, I was 5 years old at the time, we returned to the UK 2 years later on the Oronsay.
Homesickness has a lot to answer for.
Old 25th December 2017, 03:07

Panama Schedule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aselavela View Post
I'm trying to find sailing dates or cruise number for the Orsova in 1958 from Los Angeles (in May or June) to England. It was a 20-day journey. My mother, my sister, and I were on that cruise. i have photos and memorabilia (Children's Fancy Dress Party invite, etc.). I cannot find more specifics about the sailing dates. I do know that we stopped in Panama City, Trinidad, and Le Havre on the way. Help! When I learn how to post photos, I will.
---------------------------------------
I have a 1963 Panama Schedule P&O Orient Lines.
It does not show Orsova as the vessel but Oronsay.
Wrong year and vessel but maybe the port stops might help

It shows a 20 day Journey Leaving May 10/63 arriving May 31/63

Ports stop are :
Los Angles Acapulco Balboa Cristobal Trinidad
Barbados Bermuda Le Havre Southampton