J P Webb - Page 2 - Ships Nostalgia
15:49

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

J P Webb

User Tag List

Old 13th October 2012, 13:46
Active: 1966 - 1975

Thanks for your reply Cisco. It actually used to tie up to the Dromana pier Stern first after dropping 2 anchors, one about 1 or 2 points off the starboard bow and the second one about 1 or 2 points off the port bow. then reversing up to the pier while paying out the anchor chains Really pretty good the way he done it. Nice to bring back the memories Thanks
Old 13th October 2012, 23:18

Thanks for your reply, Cisco.

The Pioneer was the old coal burner and the Mathew Flinders was a very modern Cutter suction Dredge. Built late 60's I think. Was sold to a Peter Nielson. in about 1985. He later on sold it to P&O. I think it ended up working in Hong Kong. It would dredge the south channel and the west and the Pioneer would do the west channel. We used to tie up to Rye Pier ever second weekend. Not Dromana. And anchor every night off Portsea. (Portsea Pub)!!!!!! If the weather was good we could go ashore in the lifeboat (workboat). and it would pick us up at the pier at 10pm. I think the light and power would go off at 11pm each night. Was nice and quiet after that.

Slinte mhr agad!
(great health to you!)
Old 13th October 2012, 23:27

Does any one remember the Golden Bear Line? I think they had a blue funnel with a Golden Bear attached to the Port and Starboard side of the funnel. I think they were based in San Fransisco. Very large Cargo ships. 35000 tons rings a bell for me. fine looking ship. I think I was told they were "victory ships" design. Would love to see some pictures of them...
Old 13th October 2012, 23:59
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Navigation
Active: 1963 - 2006

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenRumson View Post
Thanks for your reply, Cisco.

The Pioneer was the old coal burner and the Mathew Flinders was a very modern Cutter suction Dredge. Built late 60's I think.

Slinte mhr agad!
(great health to you!)
That ( 1960s built) Mathew Flinders replaced the old coal burning Mathew Flinders in the 60s. She ( the 60s one) was eventually sold to India for scrapping sometime in the 80s and was replaced by the A.M.Vella https://www.shipsnostalgia.com/galler...bourne/cat/505 which was the one sold to HK. She was lost there in a collision a few years ago with heavy loss of life.

Salud,
Cisco
Old 14th October 2012, 00:06

My location
A photo of the 60s Matthew Flinders here.. https://www.shipsnostalgia.com/galler...inders/cat/516 .. which looks as if taken when she was laid up for sale.
Seems she went to HK/Macau when sold... not India as I suggested.
Old 14th October 2012, 00:17

The Mathew Flinders was sold to P&O and went to HK. I'm sorry to hear about the collision and loss of life.
Old 14th October 2012, 00:18

I think she was used to , for the airport extension. would that be right?
Old 14th October 2012, 00:20

Do you remember the Kermod? Cisco. a very old Bucket Dredger of the Melb Harbour Trust. Built in Scotland. she was a good one too.
Old 14th October 2012, 00:35

Thanks for the picture of Mathew Flinders. Cisco... I still have a ships clock from her officers mess.... !!!
Old 14th October 2012, 00:51

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenRumson View Post
The Mathew Flinders was sold to P&O and went to HK. I'm sorry to hear about the collision and loss of life.
Ben, it was the AM Vella that was sunk in collision.
Old 14th October 2012, 00:58

Ok thanks Cisco, Probable the mathew Flinders ended up in the breakers yard then. The Pic of it is Not how it looked when the Ports and Harbours owned it.

Slinte mhr agad!
(great health to you!)

Last edited by BenRumson; 14th October 2012 at 01:16..
Old 14th October 2012, 01:56

My location
I don't recall the Kermod by name but I recall a very noisy bucket dredger working off the Yarraville oil wharf in about 1956. Back when they still had laid up sailing ships on the Fishermens Bend side of the river... a ferry from the foot of Francis Street across to the far side to cater for the workers at GM-H and the Commonwealth aircraft factory... and a shipbreaker's yard up the Maribynyong River by the Footscray road bridge. Memory not totally gone.....

Does anyone know what happened to the wooden hulks on the north shore of the Yarra just above the Spencer Street bridge? They vanished some time in the 60s.

Salud
Cisco
Old 14th October 2012, 02:30

Well done Cisco. In 56 it was probable the McKenzie Bucket Dredge, The Kermod(e) was there too. It was shaped more like a ship than the "pontoon" shape that was the McKenzie. yes I remember most of that stuff too.... Those wooden hulks I remember one of them cant think of the name now. But I think one was used to transport TNT or other explosives to tasmania. or King Island Have vague memories of that one having been moved to near the swinging basin at about 5 or 6 south wharf. and I think someone had started restoration on one...
Old 14th October 2012, 10:38

My location
'Wongala' was the one that ran the explosives iirc .... much later Lady Jillian https://www.shipsnostalgia.com/galler...illian/cat/517 was running the occasional box of explosives into Burnie.

I was in same class in primary school as the Wongala's skipper's daughter... the name was Meyer or similar. Years later I think she was involved with ferries on Western Port... Stony Point/Cowes etc.

I recall in the 80's a wooden hulk alongside in the Interstate Swinging Basin.... cant remember much else than that she had dried out that much that you could see daylight through her...... think she was painted yellow... some mug punter throwing $$$$$ at her.
Old 14th October 2012, 11:05

Fine memories Cisco. DO you remember the King Islander sinking one saturday morning just near 30 South or 32 south? And for me the day the Melbourne (Tug) was sunk by the, I think, the french container ship Kangarou? that was a tragic day. The northerly wind that day was massive.

Ben
Old 14th October 2012, 11:38

My location
Yes, and she sank just before or after Blythe Star was lost of the west coast of Tassie.... and their third ship- Joseph Banks- grounded on the NSW coast at about the same time.... Tasmanian Transport Commision didn't have a good record in those days.... Sid Barret(sp) was the bosun who opened the stern door as was the norm... freeboard aft measured in inches... bit of heel......bad outcome

Melbourne ... https://www.shipsnostalgia.com/galler...bourne/cat/523 was sunk by Nieuw(?) Holland... wasn't there when it happened but arrived soon after and you could see the oil slick coming from the wreck. I took that photo after she had been salvaged. I recall when as 'Howard Smith' her first job was a Stanvac tanker into either Newport or Yarraville in the mid 50's... she was renamed 'Melbourne' when they wanted the name for an ex Norwegian ore/oiler they had bought.
Funny thing memory... my probs these days are what day is it and where are my glasses........
Old 14th October 2012, 11:45
Department: Engineering
Active: 1965 - 1972

My location
Ben, it was the Straitsman that sank. Caused a bit of a panic aboard the Allunga which was close by and other ships following. Stern door was opened and water flowed in whilst she was at speed. Re the ferry crossing the river, I used to go the other way from Fishermans Bend to Yarraville. Two old Gippsland type ferries run by an old chap and his son Bill. Usually I was the only passenger going across as the crowd came the other way. One foggy morning he asked me to look out for ships. A real pea souper. Half way across I looked up and saw the mast of a ship bearing down on us. I gave a shout. I didn't know those old ferries could turn so fast!
Some of the hulks upstream from Spencer St bridge (one was called Togo) were moved to the Maribyrnong River at Footscray. They have long gone from there too.
Old 14th October 2012, 21:06

hahahah Yes , where are the glasses and what was I about to do? hahahaha. Thats the first time I have seen the Melbourne after the sinking. sad to see it like that. She was a great looking tug, the best in Melbourne I think. and Yes I was wrong with the King Islander, It was as stated the Straitsman. yes opened the doors while rounding that bend in the river, probable only listing a hand full of degrees. another minute later she was around thaat bend and level again. I think I remember the Blyth Star too. Yes the williamstown ferry, running on anchor chains. Its a wonder the Ship coming up the river in the pea soup, didnt hear the ferry from the break water. !!! was a noisy bugga hahahhaa. Yes neuw Holland Damn my memory is worst that I thought....

Ben
Old 14th October 2012, 21:40

My location
'Morning Ben,
the ferry(s) in question were little passenger ones... not the chain ferry.
I recall it or they looked like the wooden workboats built by Knights(?) at Williamstown and also elswhere for the navy during WW2.... about 40 foot long maybe. One in private ownership used to run as a 'liberty boat' from Station Pier out to ships at anchor and as late as 1980 they were still using one in that fashion at Fremantle.

Speed read your one re King Islander/Straitsman.... didn't pick up on the name.
Old 14th October 2012, 22:15

Morning Cisco, Cant say I remember the passenger ferries at all.... Were they operating near the chain ferry?

Ben
Old 14th October 2012, 22:24

My location
They ran from the bottom of Francis Street, Yarraville to just north of the derelict timber wharfs where the old sailing ships were laid up. Used to leave from right under the bow of tankers on the Yarraville oil wharf.
Old 14th October 2012, 22:32

Ok, No cant say I remember them at all. cant imagine why they would go to that ol timber wharf. I think we used to call that timber yard down there by the chain ferry Siberia, was so cold and bleak... ps would that be about where the West gate bridge is now...?

Ben
Old 15th October 2012, 01:50

My location
Upstream near where that marina is now.... ferry carried workers from yarraville to tother side.... see posts up above. Seems the finger piers were built back in the dreamtime but timber importers showed no inclination to use them prefering to discharge their ships on south wharf nearer to town... I think length of the fingers may also have been an issue.... they only fitted an average sailing ship.
Old 15th October 2012, 03:46

Ok , Now I know where your talking about, I cant remember anything about that area, only maybe a lot of Pylons, Did you ever come across a Cap't John Kable in your time Cisco...?

Ben
Old 15th October 2012, 04:01

My location
The name rings a bell but I don't know why.
I think the timber wharves were just upstream from the MHT wharf where the barges and pile drivers and stuff used to be tied up.
I used to have a few old copies of 'The Dog Watch' lying around... read an article in one once on how...in the 50's.. they used to hold Cape Horners' get togethers on one of the old sailing ships.