ss IBERIA - Ships Nostalgia
15:06

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

ss IBERIA

User Tag List

Old 1st September 2012, 08:44

ss IBERIA

A woman conceived in 1965 on a voyage from Oz to Tilbury is giving a reward of 10,000 to find her real father(SUN 1.9.2012)

Last edited by A.D.FROST; 1st September 2012 at 08:47..
Old 1st September 2012, 15:41
Super Moderator
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1952 - 1965

Sailed on Iberia but not guilty.
Old 1st September 2012, 21:24

I also sailed on the Iberia and am not guilty either.
Old 9th November 2012, 19:11

father search

any help would be much appreciated. he was on ss iberia travelling from aus to tilbury arriving may 8th 1965. POSS connection to scotland, he doesnt know i exist and would have 'known' aus lady called natalie. thanks, anne.
Old 9th November 2012, 21:30

I actually sailed on that particular voyage - was the person in question crew or a passenger. Again I reiterate - not guilty, just curious.
Regards
John
Old 9th November 2012, 21:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Callon View Post
I actually sailed on that particular voyage - was the person in question crew or a passenger. Again I reiterate - not guilty, just curious.
Regards
John
hi john, my mother never divulged info, just that she was conceived on board, so have no idea. in your experience, was it common practice for crew to fraternise with passengers or do you think it more likely to be a passenger? an odd question i know but need any clue as am being a miss marple at mo. only found out her husband wasnt my dad in feb this year, a big shock at age of 46. anne.
Old 9th November 2012, 21:46

sorry that should say i was conceived, not she!
Old 9th November 2012, 21:54

Quote:
Regards
John
another question, rumour has it that i was conceived in the laundry room, but i have heard that this was manned 24 hours a day, do you think this could be plausible? cant believe that you were on the same journey! also have another odd question, can you remember a man breaking his thumb whilst sitting on a deck chair, as this was another story attached to my father! if so do you remember anything about the incident? ie what he looked like or where he was from. cheers, anne.
Old 9th November 2012, 22:16

Hi Anne,

In response to your reply, no it was not common practice for crew members to fraternise with the passengers - in fact it was forbidden. By crew members I am referring to the ratings i.e. Cooks, Stewards, Sailors etc. Officers were allowed to mix with passengers so it was possible for them to form a liaison with female passengers. As to anybody being conceived in the ships laundry, this would not be possible as have you have rightly said, it was running 24 hours a day and also was deep in the bowels of the ship well away from passenger accommodation. I am afraid I can not help you with the accident with the deckchair. A lot of things happened on a daily basis on those Liners and some events you never heard about. There are some avenues you could explorer like what was your Mum's maiden name at the time. If you wish, send me a private email through this site and maybe I could help you some more.
Regards
John
Old 9th November 2012, 22:32

Quote:
Hi Anne,

In response to your reply, no it was not common practice for crew members to fraternise with the passengers - in fact it was forbidden. By crew members I am referring to the ratings i.e. Cooks, Stewards, Sailors etc. Officers were allowed to mix with passengers so it was possible for them to form a liaison with female passengers. As to anybody being conceived in the ships laundry, this would not be possible as have you have rightly said, it was running 24 hours a day and also was deep in the bowels of the ship well away from passenger accommodation. I am afraid I can not help you with the accident with the deckchair. A lot of things happened on a daily basis on those Liners and some events you never heard about. There are some avenues you could explorer like what was your Mum's maiden name at the time. If you wish, send me a private email through this site and maybe I could help you some more.
Regards
John
hi john, her name was natalie rowland. was there a small room where the passengers could hang out their 'smalls'? this was the story given to me, but i have often found it dubious. whoever my father was he had brown eyes. it has cost me a small fortune up until now trying to uncover the truth, all to no avail. this is why i put the article in the sun. at least now if you google ss iberia it comes up on the first page, so there is a very small chance that my real father will see it. anything else that may spring to mind in the future however seemingly insignificant would be much appreciated, anne.
Old 9th November 2012, 22:57
Department: Purser
Active: 1965 - 1968

Anne,

everything John has said is true.

It was common practice for P&O officers to "wheel-in" female passengers, especially the younger and more attractive ones. Such liaisons, which often lasted for an entire voyage, were not 'legal' but were tolerated. It was also much easy for officers than ratings to form such liaisons.

Engineer officers outnumbered the officers in the other departments (Deck and Pursers) and their accommodation was conveniently situated close to that of passengers, so wheeling in was easier for them than for Deck officers who were quartered in close proximity to the ship's bridge. Also, engineers were notorious for their amorous adventures.

I noted that you had also posted a message on Seadogs-Reunited. I believe that the website contains lists of officers, by ship, who were at sea in 1965.

Not sure if this helps you in any way.
Old 10th November 2012, 17:29

thanks for that, it has opened up my mind to other possibilities other than passengers. its like a little britain sketch isnt it! i have put a post on seadogs reunited asking about engineers on that journey, but already have a part crew list. this consists of 20 or 30 names, so still relying on someone coming forward. it will be more than a miracle if we ever meet, but i cant stop looking and do really appreciate any help. thank you, anne.
Old 11th November 2012, 10:18
Super Moderator

I can fully endorse post No;11 as I was an engineer on the Iberia.
Old 11th November 2012, 19:16

wasnt you was it! only joking. seriously, were you on that particular journey? all i know is that my father has brown eyes, darkish skin and is double jointed. mad i know but there you go!
Old 11th November 2012, 21:45
Department: Purser
Active: 1965 - 1968

Quote:
Originally Posted by anne champkins View Post
wasnt you was it! only joking. seriously, were you on that particular journey? all i know is that my father has brown eyes, darkish skin and is double jointed. mad i know but there you go!
Said tongue in cheek....from that description, your father could have been any one of the Lascars. They were the Indian seamen employed on the P&O ships, including the Iberia. But in reality, they did not fraternize with passengers.
Old 12th November 2012, 11:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris8527 View Post
Said tongue in cheek....from that description, your father could have been any one of the Lascars. They were the Indian seamen employed on the P&O ships, including the Iberia. But in reality, they did not fraternize with passengers.
i have even had an ethnicity test, and this put me in the western european/ european category. this is british. spanish, basque, french with a smattering of italian. this goes back only 5 generations, so my dad could be mainly british with a bit of meditteranian a few generations back. unfortunately its not possible to ratio out the british/spanish etc, but suspect he was british. this rules out indian tho! thanks for reply tho, any more ideas would be appreciated.
Old 12th November 2012, 12:19
Super Moderator

Not onboard that voyage and of pure anglo saxon stock.
Old 17th November 2012, 16:42
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1960 - 1965

I was a crew member on P&O, Bell Boy and Dining room waiter, not the Iberia though. I had several liaisons with young lady passengers and so did my shipmates, it was common practice. Forbidden, but at the age of 16 who cares!!

The room described would be a passengers drying room, not the main ships
laundry, so quite feasible.

Happy days!!
Old 8th January 2013, 20:20

Quote:
Hi Anne,

Regards
John
hi john, just viewed records of 'the journey' at greenwich maritime museum. thought you might like to know of a few log entries about you, some of them are hilarious, but yours were fairly tame! the log about you was not the journey that i was concieved on, it was the journey before that. 4-2-65 this day the following crew members who failed to rejoin this vessel prior to its departure from adelaide were interviewed by the chief officer and none of them had a legitimate excuse. j callon, p fountain, r smith, a swatkins. they were therefore dealt with as follows- j callon fined one days pay and forfeits one days pay and half of a day etc etc! a very interesting read, a passenger died on 16th apr 1965 at 8.30 am and was 'committed to the deep' at 6.30 pm the same day! it sounds as though everyone was drunk throughout the journey! 1 question, the log states that the ship stopped for 1 day in naples, were passengers generally allowed off board on these stops? hope you find this interesting, some of the stories are too rude to repeat! anne
Old 31st January 2017, 14:30
Active: 1964 - 1969

Anne, I did sail on this voyage as a bell boy and I agree with what's been said so far with a difference of the ratings fraternising with passengers that happened quite a bit only difference being more discreet for obvious reasons. The mention of the laundry and smalls the ship had a few rooms on the lower decks with just a bath in them......they were frequently used.

I'm quite sure that i am not guilty either. Do have a photo of Natalie around that time to post, was she going to the UK for a visit as many Aussie's did back then to eventually return to AU, I knew many passengers who travelled with friends on board aged around 20 or so to the UK and Europe and then return to "settle down" down under.

You say that you believe you were conceived during that period but where were you born and how old was Natalie in 1965.

Regards Les
Old 14th February 2017, 19:49

sailing to vancouver june 1966

looking for a passenger list for the sailing to vancouver june 22/66. looking my relatives mother mary mulligan that may have been on board as well as the names of musicians that sailed to vancouver and continured on to asia. please if you can help send me a message.

Last edited by bretsgirl; 14th February 2017 at 21:36..
Old 14th February 2017, 21:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les bb+ View Post
Anne, I did sail on this voyage as a bell boy and I agree with what's been said so far with a difference of the ratings fraternising with passengers that happened quite a bit only difference being more discreet for obvious reasons. The mention of the laundry and smalls the ship had a few rooms on the lower decks with just a bath in them......they were frequently used.

I'm quite sure that i am not guilty either. Do have a photo of Natalie around that time to post, was she going to the UK for a visit as many Aussie's did back then to eventually return to AU, I knew many passengers who travelled with friends on board aged around 20 or so to the UK and Europe and then return to "settle down" down under.

You say that you believe you were conceived during that period but where were you born and how old was Natalie in 1965.

Regards Les
did you also happen to sail in 1966 on a voyage to vancouver?
Old 15th February 2017, 02:13
Active: 1971 - 1975

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boseley View Post
I was a crew member on P&O, Bell Boy and Dining room waiter, not the Iberia though. I had several liaisons with young lady passengers and so did my shipmates, it was common practice. Forbidden, but at the age of 16 who cares!!

The room described would be a passengers drying room, not the main ships
laundry, so quite feasible.

Happy days!!
also was bell boy but on oronsay and canberra so not guilty.yeap such liasons were forbidden but as said at 16 who cares.there are plent of hidden places on board for such meetings.my lift had been known to break down several times between decks
Old 15th February 2017, 15:53
Active: 1960 - 1965

Quote:
Originally Posted by herky View Post
also was bell boy but on oronsay and canberra so not guilty.yeap such liasons were forbidden but as said at 16 who cares.there are plent of hidden places on board for such meetings.my lift had been known to break down several times between decks
I too was on the Canberra, maiden voyage, 17 then, memories!!, Oh to be young again!

There is a group on Facebook for P&O Orient liners crew.
Old 16th February 2017, 02:00
Spongebob
Active: 1957 - 1961

Fraternisation happed all right as per this old post of mine

I was a fridge engineer on the Rangitane and the arrangement was for a meal to be left in the engineer’s pantry fridge for each night watch keeper. This consisted of a couple of rashers of bacon, two eggs and two thick slices of bread for toasting all laid out on a dinner plate and the routine was for the greaser to go up into the main galley to cook it for me around 2 am.
My watch keeping mate was a young Londoner, a Tony Curtis look a-like and suave with it, a nice lad but he was no cook and I was always complaining about hard fried eggs, cindered bacon or burnt toast.
A day or two after we left Panama for Wellington he went up stairs to cook the breakfast but instead of being missing for half an hour almost an hour had elapsed before he came back to surprise me with a meal cooked to perfection. I asked him who cooked it and he insisted that he had and claimed that he had decided to try a little harder.

This went on for a week, great piping hot meals, until one morning he arrived back after more than an hour with a plateful of twisted and charred remains of what was once good food. I challenged him to come clean otherwise I would go up and cook my own breakfast in future so he finally admitted to the fact that the Second Baker, a mate of his who was on duty at that hour, was cooking my bacon and eggs while the greaser was having a rendezvous with a young female passenger in a secluded spot just aft of the funnel but on the night in question when the food reverted to a normal mess the baker had been too busy so the greaser had had to do a hurried char up himself.

He explained that he had made eyes at the lady during the Atlantic leg while bronzing himself on the fore deck and after an exchange of notes via a steward messenger he arranged to meet her ashore during the scheduled overnight stop at Balboa. It turned out to be a week or more in that port after we had collided with another ship in the Miraflores Lakes so the passion had been allowed to really develop.
Cooking my breakfast provided the perfect foil for his trysts while his baker mate helped him out by keeping me happily fed.
I had to read the riot act to him, curbed my envy and all that, and I allowed him one more night of ecstasy and indiscretion to tell the lady that she would have to wait until we arrived in Wellington for more amour which was only a week away.

This recall sees the envy creeping back even today as I think of him getting the crackling while I made do with the rasher rind

Bob