Flinders Bay - Ships Nostalgia
12:29

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Flinders Bay

User Tag List

Old 18th January 2016, 11:49
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1981 - 2003

My location
Flinders Bay

Got this link off a facebook group that I'm a member of.

I had a lot of affection for "Flinders Bay" doing my steam time on her - sad to see her go but remember she had a long and useful life - all with London on her stern and basically under one owner - not a lot of ships can say that!!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ddjEr4ihMKM

George Santayana (1863 - 1952)
Old 18th January 2016, 12:36

Started Nov.1968 Retire (early)5years ago all under the "RED ENSIGN"London,Glasgow,Southampton,and Cardiff. Redundant 3 times(incl.Apprenticeship)

Last edited by A.D.FROST; 18th January 2016 at 12:40..
Old 18th January 2016, 14:06
Department: Deck
Active: 1978 - 1981

Sad to see any ship going to the breakers (well, maybe some exceptions to that rule!), but especially one having served with P&O/OCL all that time.

I nearly sailed on the Flinders Bay. I had my joining instructions from P&O to go to Tilbury in April or May 1981, but that was when I made the decision to seek employment elsewhere. I should have gone along for the jolly since I was only a cadet; but then again I had done that on my previous trip!
Old 19th January 2016, 08:27
Active: 1961 - 2002

I stood by Flinders Bay while she was building in Hamburg. A lovely ship which seemed luxurious in the accommodation and engine room, especially after my last ship, the knackered Texaco Glasgow which was in worse condition than my previous ship Texaco Saigon which was a T2 built in 1944!
Old 19th January 2016, 13:59

I am sure the Flinders Bay had her steam engines replaced by motor whilst it was still OCL
Old 19th January 2016, 14:57

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by bev summerill View Post
I am sure the Flinders Bay had her steam engines replaced by motor whilst it was still OCL
No, she was the only one that retained the steam plant - Jervis Bay was scrapped as a steamer, the others reengined

Old 19th January 2016, 20:58

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duncan112 View Post
Got this link off a facebook group that I'm a member of.

I had a lot of affection for "Flinders Bay" doing my steam time on her - sad to see her go but remember she had a long and useful life - all with London on her stern and basically under one owner - not a lot of ships can say that!!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ddjEr4ihMKM
I can see why you have a lot of affection for her. The accommodation looks palatial (just look at those floor to ceiling windows overlooking the blunt end .. ouch!)... did she carry passengers?
Old 19th January 2016, 21:30

My location
No passengers, the big windows were the Officer's Smokeroom, all wood paneling in the cabins and every Officer's cabin had a full size bath (fresh water) unheard of on a steamship. The Dining Saloon had a mural of the bay the vessel was named for.

One other oddball requirement of the design was the Engine Room lift stopped on the steam drum level rather than going down to the Control Room level - the reason - to ensure that at least once per watch the watchkeeper had to walk past the gauge glasses.

Old 21st January 2016, 20:11
Active: 1961 - 2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duncan112 View Post
No passengers, the big windows were the Officer's Smokeroom, all wood paneling in the cabins and every Officer's cabin had a full size bath (fresh water) unheard of on a steamship. The Dining Saloon had a mural of the bay the vessel was named for.

One other oddball requirement of the design was the Engine Room lift stopped on the steam drum level rather than going down to the Control Room level - the reason - to ensure that at least once per watch the watchkeeper had to walk past the gauge glasses.
Those baths could be interesting in heavy weather. The class had very flared bows and when they dug the bow into a big wave they seemed to almost stop. That was the point at which you could be washed out of your fore and aft pointing bath! I discovered very early on that if you put a rope on the trolley on the overhead runner that ran from the diesel generator room door, between the boilers, across the top of the turbines and into the spare gear store and then launched yourself when the bows dug in you could reach the store with no problem. I had to limit my activities to the 24.00 - 04.00 watch, having nearly removed the Chief's head one afternoon when he came for a wander round.