Troopships - Page 4 - Ships Nostalgia
16:39

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Troopships

User Tag List

Old 5th September 2011, 23:06

Another troopship was the Empire Ken Ex German liner I think.
Alex
Old 29th October 2011, 13:09

My location
Cool Empire Orwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyboy View Post
anyone got any info on the old troopships like the Empire Orwell or the windrush which I believe burnt out.I realise that in war times many ships had their names changed, were painted white with a blue stripe. be interesting to know what became of these ships. probably creeping aroung greek islands under a new name.
Hi Billy.
I did six trips on the Orwell,happiest ship
I sailed on,this was back in the 50's.The
only info I have is the same as what as
already been posted,but I have about a
dozen different photo,s of her.If you would
like me to email some of these photo,s,then
please let me have your email address.Mine is
[email protected].

Dave Williams
Old 29th October 2011, 13:19

My location
Cool Empire Orwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rup View Post
QUOTE=cheddarnibbles][U]Empire Orwell Ex Empire Doon; Pretoria was operated by Alfred Holt from Nov.'58 til Feb.'62 as a pilgrim ship sailing from Indonesia to Jeddah under the name GUNUNG DJATI .She replaced TYNDAREUS
Later she was sold to the Indonesian Government for Hadji use and finally as a troopship.
Broken up in 1987.
She was not looked upon as a favourite assignment amongst midshipmen of that era.!!!
Hello Cheddarnibbles- My brother served in the Royal Hampshire Regiment during his National Service days. Sent to Malaya, and was on the Empire Orwell on his way home for demob prior to April 1955. The Regt came back in 1956 on various ships, incl. this one, but do you know of any sailing dates for early 1955, please ? Rup.[/QUOTE]

Hi Rup.

Iwas on the Orwell for six trips,one of the trips,I signed on
March 1955,so I must have been on board,when your brother
came home for demob.

Dave Williams(R583900)
Old 15th November 2011, 11:55
Organisation: Maritime Enthusiast
Department: Office / Administration
Active: 1953 - 1958

Billy Boy: I wonder if your brother (who came home on the Orwell) was on the same journey as I was. We came home from Sri Lanka on the Orwell and I remember lots of wounded. We also travelled from Singapore to Sri Lanka on the Windrush. She caught fire on a later journey taking friends home from Sri Lanka and we were quite worried about them. You might all be interested in that I am doing a European project on capturing memories of the 1950's starting in 3 days time. My EU visitors are coming here and I am trying to gather together what I have on the Orwell and the Windrush to put in our own mini-exhibition. Anyone who has memories please, please, let me know.
Old 15th November 2011, 13:41

Martin: I wonder if our paths crossed. We also sailed in the Windrush - Singapore to Sri Lanka (Ceylon then) would be 1953-ish. I wonder whether any passenger lists might survive.
Old 15th November 2011, 19:39

A bit late in the day but movements of EMPIRE ORWELL 1955

Roger
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 14 319.jpg (258.0 KB, 23 views)
Old 15th November 2011, 21:04

How wonderful: I dont know whether you caught my other posting but I am doing a European project starting on Friday with 6 other countries looking at capturing memories of the 1950's and this is my "memory". Is this out of your own Collection or did you get it somewhere on the web? This may be a little early for my journey on the Orwell, I would have been on the Windrush - Singapore to Colombo in circa 1953, and not on the Orwell until 1956/7 coming back from Colombo to UK. but I do remember either the Green Howards ??? coming back on the Orwell with a lot of them injured and the brass band playing on the top deck every afternoon; and sailing through the Suez Canal and Bay of Biscay. Cant thank you enough.
Old 15th November 2011, 22:34

EMPIRE WINDRUSH movements 1952/53/54 you will note the details of the fire and her subsequent loss.
Please do not shorten ships names, WINDRUSH, ORWELL. This creates confusion.

Roger
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 14 413.jpg (290.3 KB, 32 views)

Last edited by Roger Griffiths; 15th November 2011 at 22:42..
Old 2nd January 2012, 20:10

My location
Cool Empire Orwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheddarnibbles View Post
[U]Empire Orwell Ex Empire Doon; Pretoria was operated by Alfred Holt from Nov.'58 til Feb.'62 as a pilgrim ship sailing from Indonesia to Jeddah under the name GUNUNG DJATI .She replaced TYNDAREUS
Later she was sold to the Indonesian Government for Hadji use and finally as a troopship.
Broken up in 1987.
She was not looked upon as a favourite assignment amongst midshipmen of that era.!!!
Hi There.
I dont know about Midshipmen,but I had a great time
on the old Orwell,not the most comfortable ship,but the
happiest by a long shot,I did seven trips on her from the
20/3/55 until 9/11/56.Started off in the crew mess,then
the Leading Hands Mess,then the Officers Mess and finished
as 1st Messroom Steward.

Dave Williams(R583900)
Llanelli
Old 26th April 2012, 22:09

Devonshire

I travelled on the troopship Devonshire as a passenger in June 1960 from Southampton to Cyprus,I was a small blonde lady of 21 and I really enjoyed myself on board. I did get to know one crew member but don't recall his name now! Probably just as well!
Old 16th May 2012, 21:52

Troopships

Good Afternoon All.

Still a teenager when I departed Liverpool on board the EMPIRE PRIDE
en-route to Singapore on the 15 July 1953. It took 25 days via Suez with shore leave at Aden and Colombo.
Sleeping in hammocks over the mess table was quite the thing but after arriving in a warmer climate spent most nights sleeping on deck.
For a young lad it was quite the adventure. Not many of us could have taken a trip like that in those days on 49 bob a week (regular) or
29 bob a week (national service)
I spent the next 3 years at RAF Changi with trips to Penang now and again plus a side trip to Saigon.
Departed Singapore for Liverpool on board the DEVONSHIRE on the 31 July 1956 taking 46 days to reach Blighty, with shore leave at Colombo, Mombasa and Capetown. This time we had bunks so no sleeping on deck as the bunks were a little hard to move.

Now for some excellent references on Troopships.

Enter into Google search engine.

Gallery No 40 Troopships
Hit enter
Click on. Troopships-British Armed Forces

Enter into Google search engine.

MCHS 0290.10
Hit enter
Click on. Troopships and Trooping

Book.
Troopships and their History.
By Colonel H.C.B. Rogers O.B.E. 1963.
The book is still available through ABE Books.

Lots of excellent photographs and information in all the above. It will keep you busy for a while.

Peter (Kamloops)
Old 31st October 2012, 21:18
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1969 - 1971

Troop Ships

My Dad was in the RAF and got to Aden on the Empire Pride returning on the Dilwara in 1949 as far as I remember.
Old 6th March 2017, 16:56

MV Georgic

Quote:
Originally Posted by golden dawn View Post
I sailed on the MV Georgic in 1951 From liverpool on my way to Korea with the First Battalion KOSB .We landed at HongKong.We were there for a few Months before sailing to Korea on the Empire Trooper
Hi Golden Dawn, my father was also on that ship to Korea in November 1951. He was with the 5th Royal Inniskilling Dragoon Guards. I know the ports of call included Columbo & Hong Kong and possibly Port Said and/or Aden. I would be interested to learn anything about the voyage.

Kind regards
Chris
Old 6th March 2017, 18:35

I was an o.s. On the Empire Halladale for the last two trips she did trooping,we went to Mombasa with troops fighting the Mau Mau,she was as hot as hell for us and sheer hell I imagine for the troops it put me off ever considering the army as a career the troops were treated like s!!t It is sad that a ship is sent to the scrap yard but that was the best place for her,and mixing Glaswegians and Scousers as crew no way,fisticuffs were never far away,and the beer was crap .
Old 6th March 2017, 20:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Bradley View Post
Hi Golden Dawn, my father was also on that ship to Korea in November 1951. He was with the 5th Royal Inniskilling Dragoon Guards. I know the ports of call included Columbo & Hong Kong and possibly Port Said and/or Aden. I would be interested to learn anything about the voyage.

Kind regards
Chris
Hello and welcome,
Cannot help you out with what happened on the voyage but can confirm GEORGIC's movements from the National Archives piece number MT40/146 (attached)
I think you should find some details of the voyage by consulting the regimental diary.
Try a post on http://www.ww2talk.com/index.php
There are people on there who may be able to point you in the correct direction.

regards
Roger
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 14 480.jpg (179.7 KB, 7 views)
Old 6th March 2017, 21:42

Hi Roger

That's great, thanks very much.

Regards
Chris