Palm Line - Page 6 - Ships Nostalgia
13:43

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Palm Line

User Tag List

Old 2nd February 2009, 10:31

My location
yes he was..
Old 2nd February 2009, 12:31
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1981 - Present

My location
I sailed with Geff on Uglands car carriers, late 80's, last time I saw him was in the Quarterdeck pub in Aberdeen about 7 year ago, he was on the stand by boats, don't know what he's up to now tho', I live in GY and I hav'nt seen him around for a long time.
Old 11th February 2009, 04:49

cacique, David, how is S.S. I was seconded to Dominican Republic last year at the Caucedo terminal. Good place to be. in Jebel Ali we still get the APapa Palm under different names although I have not seen her for a couple of years now. Hope all is well with you.only 48 days more work and then big steam chicken back to Europe.
b. rgds.,
John Pugh
Old 11th February 2009, 13:10

sauled on the ANDONI PALM joined ship in rotterdam had a great first trip from 27/2/74/to19/4/74/ i was a EDH at the time rest of the deck crew was from my home town of HULL and a mixture of lads from the yorkshire area and london pool all was great that trip that i signed back on for a scecond trip when we got back to liverpool but thats when it all changed only three of us signed back on the rest of the deck crowd was made up of lads from liverpool and manchester which was a bad combination come weekends as it was a blood bath nearly every week all depending on the football results it got that bad on board the three of us from hull was told by the captain to start locking our selfs in our cabins as we was getting assaulted by the others after they got fed up of fighting each other ieven got a hatch locking bar smashed through my porthole when they couldnt get at me through the cabin door the trip got that bad when we got back to liverpool 25/7/74/ THE CAPTAIN had the police meet the ship in the locks to arrest most of the deck crew as they had smashed all the bar up once we docked at 2am us hull lads was told for our own safety to get the first train out of liverpool rang the company at a later date and asked for another ship but was told most of the ships was shipping out of liverpool at that time so it was nt advisible to man the ships deck crowd with outsiders pity it was a good company that was my fist and last trip with PALM LINE needless to say shipped out with a lot of lads from liverpool and manchester since and could nt meet a better bunch of lads
Old 9th March 2009, 14:42

Present day possibilities?

Im fascinated by this route and was wondering if anyone knew of any way you could recreate it as a traveller now? Are there still frieghters that opperate along the coast or is it just direct to South Africa? I'll be in Luanda, Angola and it would be the most amazing route back to Britain. Any advice would be much appreciated. Cheers. Louis
Old 29th April 2014, 12:10

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by mick havler View Post
sauled on the ANDONI PALM joined ship in rotterdam had a great first trip from 27/2/74/to19/4/74/ i was a EDH at the time rest of the deck crew was from my home town of HULL and a mixture of lads from the yorkshire area and london pool all was great that trip that i signed back on for a scecond trip when we got back to liverpool but thats when it all changed only three of us signed back on the rest of the deck crowd was made up of lads from liverpool and manchester which was a bad combination come weekends as it was a blood bath nearly every week all depending on the football results it got that bad on board the three of us from hull was told by the captain to start locking our selfs in our cabins as we was getting assaulted by the others after they got fed up of fighting each other ieven got a hatch locking bar smashed through my porthole when they couldnt get at me through the cabin door the trip got that bad when we got back to liverpool 25/7/74/ THE CAPTAIN had the police meet the ship in the locks to arrest most of the deck crew as they had smashed all the bar up once we docked at 2am us hull lads was told for our own safety to get the first train out of liverpool rang the company at a later date and asked for another ship but was told most of the ships was shipping out of liverpool at that time so it was nt advisible to man the ships deck crowd with outsiders pity it was a good company that was my fist and last trip with PALM LINE needless to say shipped out with a lot of lads from liverpool and manchester since and could nt meet a better bunch of lads
I remember those two voyages - Andoni was my first ship as a deck cadet and they were were my first two trips. Also remember there being trouble at end of 2nd voyage - can picture the ones involved but no names. Remember one of the crew was a big fella called Alan Cripps. Capt, was Thompson and 1st Mate Keith Hope.
Old 12th May 2014, 12:47
Department: Engineering
Active: 1977 - 1986

Apapa Palm

Hi Scottie Dog, looks like Kevin Praid as 5 th eng from Cornwall,

Mark
Old 6th August 2014, 23:46

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottie dog View Post
Yes Howard you were there on the Ibadan with me as first trip Jnr eng.
Ronnie was the Bosun, Cannot remember the name of the young AB that died.

Mike
I can after all these years. I was with him in the ships hospital when he passed. Byron Pinnock from Birmingham. Master was Johnny Miller?
Old 7th August 2014, 10:13

Foggie you must have got the short straw on that Palm boat I sailed with PALM the ships the crews and conditions were excellent one of the best companies out of Liverpool they must have been the dregs out of the pool thats all I can say.KYPROS
Old 3rd October 2014, 15:02

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by kypros View Post
Foggie you must have got the short straw on that Palm boat I sailed with PALM the ships the crews and conditions were excellent one of the best companies out of Liverpool they must have been the dregs out of the pool thats all I can say.KYPROS
No I don't think i got the short straw at all - as I remember it was 2 lads that came to blows over a 'Dear John' letter received by one at the end of the voyage. I loved the Andoni and did the next trip on her without any problems (mind you I didn't have any say where I was going)
Old 20th October 2014, 12:24
Active: 1959 - 1976

I have been told a story about a Hain's ship tied up next to a Palm Line boat, and one morning the crew of the Palm Line boat woke up to find somebody (presumably from the Hain ship) had painted a monkey on the palm tree on the funnel of the Palm Line ship.

It has been suggested that I was the person responsible , but I wasn't.

Any truth in the tale?

Laurie.
Old 29th June 2015, 01:18

My location
three very familiar names there Mick Fuller George Green and Les Thomson
Old 29th June 2015, 23:12

My location
I was there that trip with John as C/O and Roy was 2/O. I was PCS. Alas not sure which ship; however all my deep sea voyages were in Ibadan, Ikeja, Lagos and Lobito if that helps!
Old 18th August 2017, 13:45
Active: 1959 - 1976

Somebody was asking about Palm Line T Shirts on Face Book .

I have just got a quote - Be about 9.00 each, plus p. & p. Sizes M. L . & XL Have to be cash up front.. I have to get a minimum of 25. Any takers ?

Laurie.
Old 18th August 2017, 21:17
Department: Engineering
Active: 1977 - 1986

Palm t shirts

Could be good fun if everyone who goes to the reunion in 2018 gets one that would boost numbers for order by approx 20
Old 29th August 2017, 21:24

Palm Line - one fantastic company with the most amazing engineers and mates.
As Scottie Dog Said earlier "I'd go back tomorrow and do it all over again if they still existed" Very many happy days!
Old 29th August 2017, 21:37
Organisation: Maritime Enthusiast
Department: Office / Administration
Active: 1958 - 2010

My first large 'proper' ship ,as an agent was the Takoradi Palm,Dents Wharf in Middlesbrough 1958/59......immaculate with lovely painted decks but a Supercargo who shouted at everyone...McMaster was it?

geoff
Old 8th January 2019, 15:38

Hi, I never sailed with Palm but my son-in-laws farther went from Cadet to Master with Palm before becoming a Bristol Chanel Pilot.His name was Captain Robert Thear Graham. dose anybody remember him.he passed away 2018 age 85.