King Edward VII Nautical College Old Boys Association - Page 4 - Ships Nostalgia
19:39

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

King Edward VII Nautical College Old Boys Association

User Tag List

Old 21st February 2016, 11:24

David Blagg

Dear Ronald,

I remember you at KEII. Was in the same short course as you January 1953 for 3 months. David Blagg and I were previously classmates at grammar school before going to King Ted's. Do you know if he is still around and still in Newfoundland?

Doug Brodie
Old 21st February 2016, 13:14

I did an apprentice mid release course at king teds/stack of bricks, n remember the coopers arms, prospect of whitby/bethnall green nurses/ ally palace etc.
I was a Denholm apprentice, year 1965, remember having to stand on the Wellington, as Churchill passed on his coffin.
Rod Holroyd
Old 21st February 2016, 14:17
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1960 - 1966

My location
Was the 'lantern test' always used for the colour-blindness check? At school in the 1950s (perhaps associated with the RAF cadet force at school) and later when attending RAF Hornchurch for aircrew selection, I had the Ishihara test by means of books (no lanterns or any other kind of lights were involved) containing colour plates that had a background of one colour of dots into which a number had been inserted by means of dots of another colour. The examiner/medic flipped through the pages and each number had to be spoken or written down (RAF) as it was recognised.

The same test was used by the doctor to whom I was sent by Marconi prior to getting my discharge book and joining my first ship.

Never regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many. Don't worry about old age - it doesn't last.

Last edited by Ron Stringer; 21st February 2016 at 23:17.. Reason: Clarification of test
Old 21st February 2016, 19:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Stringer View Post
Was the 'lantern test' always used for the colour-blindness check? At school in the 1950s (perhaps associated with the RAF cadet force at school) and when attending RAF Hornchurch for aircrew selection I had the Ishihara test by means of books containing colour plates that had a background of one colour of dots and a number inserted in the form of dots of another colour. The examiner/medic flipped through the pages and the numbers had to be spoked or written down (RAF) as they were recognised.

The same test was used by the doctor to whom I was sent by Marconi prior to getting my discharge book and joining my first ship.
I had the dubious privilege of failing the lantern test after finishing my apprenticeship with Bank Line and being advised that I could take my 2nd Mates exams and have them stamped "Failed Eyesight". I didn't, and ended up a year later operating a wireless in the R A F doing my National Service!
Did the pre-apprentice one year course at K E VII,'53/4 prior to joining Bank Line.
Old 21st February 2016, 21:28

Spent time at 680 Commercial Rd - had the room on the first floor looking directly over the junction as in Keltic Star photo above (thanks for this very nostalgic pic) - and at the Stack of Bricks up the road. around 1967/68 as engineer cadet. Great days.
Old 4th March 2016, 17:09
Department: Navigation
Active: 1949 - 1955

Reference KE V11. I was at pre school at Sir John Cass in Aldgate then moved to the school in Commercial Road before joining SSCoulbeg a coal burner. First trip from Jarrow to Montreal had several days four on four off on focsle head looking for ice bergs in thick fog. Having loaded general cargo for Africa my cabin mate and I became trimmers for three weeks ,as two Arab firemen went sick.
Great time but too much work to study. But I did two years on Coalbag the two years on SS Coulgarve.Great life.Then became a policeman in Cornwall.Graham Williams. I have forgotten my discharge book number. Any advice please.
Old 10th September 2016, 22:32

the principal at my time was Captain E K Ballard, I particularly remember Captain Farqua...or Farquason, big man with a big beard.
I came across 'first term kit instructions' recently cerca 1967, I was ok until I got to '1 plastic stiff white collar', I rember that!
does anyone have the 'college badge' that we had on the blazer's breast pocket?...or the design?
Old 11th September 2016, 00:00
Varley Varley is online now   SN Supporter
Active: 1971 - 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by graham L williams View Post
Reference KE V11. I was at pre school at Sir John Cass in Aldgate then moved to the school in Commercial Road before joining SSCoulbeg a coal burner. First trip from Jarrow to Montreal had several days four on four off on focsle head looking for ice bergs in thick fog. Having loaded general cargo for Africa my cabin mate and I became trimmers for three weeks ,as two Arab firemen went sick.
Great time but too much work to study. But I did two years on Coalbag the two years on SS Coulgarve.Great life.Then became a policeman in Cornwall.Graham Williams. I have forgotten my discharge book number. Any advice please.
Perhaps "Don't worry", Graham? Not much call for policeman at sea. Not even one of the multitude of young looking ones we see about. Anyway you probably would just need to pay the same again to renew if you had to.
Old 11th September 2016, 01:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt 555 View Post
the principal at my time was Captain E K Ballard, I particularly remember Captain Farqua...or Farquason, big man with a big beard.
I came across 'first term kit instructions' recently cerca 1967, I was ok until I got to '1 plastic stiff white collar', I rember that!
does anyone have the 'college badge' that we had on the blazer's breast pocket?...or the design?
I was there in 68 for my MAR course, and we could wear our company badge on our blazers. As I was with Hain-Nourse they had come up with a very uninspiring HN on a flag, so I wore the MN badge with all the gold trimmings and the crown. Not that it impressed the Birds in the Coopers Arms much
Old 23rd October 2016, 15:13
Active: 1967 - 1979

Quote:
Originally Posted by rod holroyd View Post
I did an apprentice mid release course at king teds/stack of bricks, n remember the coopers arms, prospect of whitby/bethnall green nurses/ ally palace etc.
I was a Denholm apprentice, year 1965, remember having to stand on the Wellington, as Churchill passed on his coffin.
Rod Holroyd
Sounds like my time there for MAR in Jan to March 1969. I well remember the Coopers Arms, run by Bill and Grace. Good times and at the weekends we would go to the teachers collage dances.
Old 4th May 2018, 13:26
Active: 1964 - 2013

Peter Turner

I was at King Teds Sept 63 until July 64. I shared a cabin with Greenway and Omoteso.
Then an Apprentice with Overseas Tankship UK. (Caltex / Regent / Texaco) & 3rd Mate
Then Panocean 2nd Mate and Ch Off - Stolt Tankers Master - Offen Tankers Master
Old 4th May 2018, 14:18
Department: Deck
Active: 1959 - 1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keltic Star View Post
Don't know of any organization. The closest seems to be the communication between we old boys here on SN.
Bob
King Ted's 58/59
Did You know Peter Underwood ? Joined Hain SS Co. after KEV!!in 1959.

Tall very thin bloke with blond hair. Bit of a dimwit.

Laurie
Old 4th May 2018, 15:01
Active: 1964 - 1978

King Teds

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterrturner View Post
I was at King Teds Sept 63 until July 64. I shared a cabin with Greenway and Omoteso.
Then an Apprentice with Overseas Tankship UK. (Caltex / Regent / Texaco) & 3rd Mate
Then Panocean 2nd Mate and Ch Off - Stolt Tankers Master - Offen Tankers Master
We were at King Teds at the same time. I was on the short course that concluded in March 1964. I remember cheerful Omoteso (we sat Second Mates at London together) and Greenway. Two of my room mates, Russ Davis and Neil Toothill, joined Caltex. Debarr and Bell were senior cadets and you probably recall the three Persian cadets. There is a picture of my entry in my gallery.

Peter Dunford
Old 6th August 2018, 10:27
Active: 1961 - 1964

Another Old Boy

Hello there, I attended King Ted's on the 3 month short course Jan - March 1961 and again at 680 Commercial Road for 2nd Mates Revision in Oct/Nov 1964. I arrived a fortnight after term started in Jan '61 but must have caught up by the half term exams as I was then made Cadet Captain (Port) at Gloucester Road with the privilege of my own single cabin! Joined B&C on leaving and spent my first voyage on the Rothesay Castle.

Roger Underwood
Old 10th January 2019, 16:12

I am coming to this discussion very late, so excuses for that. I was on the pre-sea course Sept-Dec 1958 and then did my 3 years 11 months (one month remission!) with Alfred Holt. I remember the trip on the Wendorian when she went down the Thames and round to the owners place in Norfolk. The trip has been written about elsewhere on the site, mentioning the collision in fog with a lighter. That made "shiver me timbers!" more real as we split the bow-sprit. I remember a trip ashore in Southend and a little under-age drinking. Well, it is all part of the education. When visiting London, I still get that nostalgic feeling for the Wellington and boat training on the river. The Docks where we sailed without a rudder have long gone, but the building is still there on the corner of Cromwell and Gloucester. Changing tubes at Aldgate East some mornings with the guard shouting "Awgate East, aw get art".
Those three months were a great start and so many things are still fixed in my brain. It was just a pity that the PT instructor thought that I was his size and weight in the unarmed combat classes.
Seeing the photos of the crew that took the Wendorian down the Thames, was a real surprise when I came across it a couple of day ago. Sixty years ago!
Old 10th January 2019, 19:47
Department: Deck
Active: 1958 - 1964

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Tucker View Post
I am coming to this discussion very late, so excuses for that. I was on the pre-sea course Sept-Dec 1958 and then did my 3 years 11 months (one month remission!) with Alfred Holt. I remember the trip on the Wendorian when she went down the Thames and round to the owners place in Norfolk. The trip has been written about elsewhere on the site, mentioning the collision in fog with a lighter. That made "shiver me timbers!" more real as we split the bow-sprit. I remember a trip ashore in Southend and a little under-age drinking. Well, it is all part of the education. When visiting London, I still get that nostalgic feeling for the Wellington and boat training on the river. The Docks where we sailed without a rudder have long gone, but the building is still there on the corner of Cromwell and Gloucester. Changing tubes at Aldgate East some mornings with the guard shouting "Awgate East, aw get art".
Those three months were a great start and so many things are still fixed in my brain. It was just a pity that the PT instructor thought that I was his size and weight in the unarmed combat classes.
Seeing the photos of the crew that took the Wendorian down the Thames, was a real surprise when I came across it a couple of day ago. Sixty years ago!
Hi Richard,

We must have met as I was on the same course, same time. I went on to BP. Have attached a photo taken aboard the Wendorian which must have been October/November 1958. I am on the extreme left.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Aboard Wendorian.jpg (402.1 KB, 14 views)
Old 10th January 2019, 20:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPTwitcher View Post
Hi Richard,

We must have met as I was on the same course, same time. I went on to BP. Have attached a photo taken aboard the Wendorian which must have been October/November 1958. I am on the extreme left.
Thanks for the message. It is good to know that there are still some of us around. It is difficult to remember everyone on the course, or even the teachers. They stay with me for things they said like "one hand for yourself, one hand for the job and one hand for the company" or "don't leave holidays" before I knew what holidays were. it didn't take long one the big ships to learn what a holiday was. It looks from the tag to your name that you only stayed in the Merchant Navy to 1964. I left in 1963 after getting my Second Mate's ticket. But having that meant that in my first summer vacation from University Blue Funnel took me back on to look after and load ships in the Birkenhead Docks. Good pay and lots of time to read all the books for the following year. Since then I have been involved in film/photography and music for most of my working life. Now retired and living in a little village in Switzerland.

Every visit to London brings back memories of those three months which were pretty dramatic as a first time away from home. I hope that you are well and content.
Old 10th January 2019, 20:37
Active: 1955 - 1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
Dear Ronald,

I remember you at KEII. Was in the same short course as you January 1953 for 3 months. David Blagg and I were previously classmates at grammar school before going to King Ted's. Do you know if he is still around and still in Newfoundland?

Doug Brodie
He's still alive and kicking in Newfoundland
Old 11th January 2019, 00:23

David Blagg

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2newfie View Post
He's still alive and kicking in Newfoundland
Dear 2newfie,
Thanks for your reply. However, since I posted that message several years ago I've made contact with David and occasionally exchange emails, Christmas cards and the like. Best wishes.