Esso Northumbria - Page 3 - Ships Nostalgia
21:44

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Esso Northumbria

User Tag List

Old 9th April 2014, 15:28

All very true Noelk, as the largest vessel ever built by the Yard was launched and Fitted Out the lessons were passed on to the next even larger vessel ever built by the Yard and so on. I liked the space and the facilities that were provided on the V.L. Vessel's having moved across from Tramps. However, in my case witnessing two Hull failures and hearing about the explosions in a very short period of time left me feeling very uncomfortable which led me to make a move away from them.

From Grey Funnel to any Funnel, just show him/ me the money Mabel
Old 9th April 2014, 15:47

Esso Northumbria

Hi all, this thread was very interesting to me, I helped to build this vessel and all of the 8 VLCC's built by Swan Hunters. I was a foreman fitter installing all machinery in the engine room including piping systems, the 2 Esso and the Texaco ship had father and son boilers, and huge Lungstom air heaters, the other 5 tankers had 2 boilers and conventional air heaters, if I remember correctly only the Texaco ship had a large diesel generator and 1 turbo alternator all the rest had 2 turbo's. Some of the ships had Coffin turbo feed pumps and some had those wonderful Weirs TWL feed pumps, frightening things in a blackout situation, unable to stop them until a main condensate pump was restarted otherwise they would seize up. The Northumbria spent 2 weeks at anchor off the Tyne doing stability trials prior to sea trials and she did have some problems with her LP turbine which required the replacement of the LP rotor. Esso were being a little awkward just prior to hand over and the director in charge for Swans told them all to leave the ship and come back when they were willing to sign to accept the vessel.
All the criticism seems to be about the poor build and non about the way these vessels were operated, this seems a bit unfair, could the cracking not be the result of the loading and ballasting proceedures, and the solidified sludge must be down to the crew.

Micky
Old 9th April 2014, 16:28

JMB, I have to say I was referring to upsizing of vessels by Yards in general rather than the particular vessels already under discussion.

Old 9th April 2014, 16:46

Hi Chadburn, my comments were not aimed at you but comments in general on this thread which appear to be aimed at the ship builder
Old 9th April 2014, 19:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmbrent View Post
Hi Chadburn, my comments were not aimed at you but comments in general on this thread which appear to be aimed at the ship builder
Having served my time in a Shipyard I still think it is a remarkable turnaround from a load of flat steel plate in the Stockyard to a superb ship on its way down river and off to sea, designed and built in the pre computer age.. Mistakes were made but we were at the beginning of a new age in Shipbuilding in both the building and sailing of such large vessel's.

Old 3rd May 2019, 10:21
callpor callpor is offline   SN Supporter
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1962 - Present

My location
Although before my time with Esso I remember the Esso Northumbria launching as I was at Wallsend standing-by the Atlantic Causeway. It brought back some memories today to find the following post on LinkedIn with a video of the Northumbria launching 50 years ago. Take a look at https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news..._Click_LIshare
Cheers. Chris
Old 25th July 2019, 19:25

Esso Northumbria...… God knows why, but I was just thinking about this fine vessel a few days ago. I was thinking about the worst trip ever.... no, not the "Northumbria" but the awful 1946-built ex-US Army coastal freighter, the "Labuan Hadji" which took over three days in December '81 to take us relief crew from Singapore to somewhere off Thailand to join the "Northumbria" where she had been floating around awaiting her fate for some time. I got off a few months later in Johore and think the ship was then sailed to be broken up.
Old 25th July 2019, 20:19
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Navigation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairfield View Post
None of these shots are mine-two from a friend who was her Master at one time and one from the mass of old press cuttings in my loft!
The first shows her under construction,then her launch-not the best quality I/m afraid and lastly a weather deck view off the South African coast in her first year of operation.
I think she still holds the record for the largest number of people to attend a launch on Tyneside.
That takes me back. I was standing by the Atlantic Conveyor & Atlantic Causeway at the same time, living in digs in Whitley Bay. Travelling to Walker Navy Yard each morning the train passed near to the Esso Northumbria which loomed over the nearby houses. That would have been in the Autumn of 1969. It seems a long time ago.

Howard