Ship Magazines - Page 2 - Ships Nostalgia
14:03

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Ship Magazines

User Tag List

Old 21st June 2007, 14:36

I have been collecting books and magazines since 1974 when I first brought SM, November issue. I have most of them from the first in 1966 but with a few missing for 1973-74 and the last year or so.

I have issues of Sea Breezes from 1946. I did have the complete St & Y until I moved and left two full boxes with a mate to look after, when I moved but he dumped them (nice mate).

I joined the W.S.S. in October 1977 when we first started the Gloucester branch (there are only about 5 original members left) and I have issues marine news from 1954 with full annuals from 1966. I have collected and I am still collecting mostly those early mags if I can find them cheap enough

But I will agree with you all about the lack of sustained commentary in the mags now. There seem to be a lot of space between the articles and the pictures. I was frustrated with ST & Y when they published photos that I have a copy, but they didn’t give a full history of the ship or what happened to them
Old 15th June 2017, 09:17
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1953 - 2014

My location
Ship Magazines

I am seriously on the lookout for any 1946 issues of Sea Breezes. Anyone have any, know of any, bound or unbound, please contact. (price within reason) would not be a problem.
Old 17th June 2017, 06:56
Department: Navigation
Active: 1951 - 1999

My location
Sea Breezes

Quote:
Originally Posted by duquesa View Post
I am seriously on the lookout for any 1946 issues of Sea Breezes. Anyone have any, know of any, bound or unbound, please contact. (price within reason) would not be a problem.
Fisher Nautical ([email protected]) or tel 01273890273. They have a big selection and I see from their lists Vol2 June-Dec 1946 listed.

Might be better to email for their VERY comprehensive list of books and magazines. It's a bit mind boggling! Prices for some of the juicier titles I would like are out of reach, sadly.

Cheers / Alan Rawlinson
Old 17th June 2017, 08:37

My location
Ship Magazines

Very many thanks for that Alan. I will contact them. Very grateful.
Old 25th June 2017, 17:34

My location
Ship Magazines

I have now managed to complete my 1946 volumes. However, on running an up date on my collection I find that my 1995 has been completed with two Novembers!! Whoops. Anyone out there got a December 1995 issue tucked away somewhere that they would sell???
Old 26th June 2017, 23:44
andysk andysk is offline   SN Supporter
Super Moderator (L)
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1970 - 1978

Quote:
Originally Posted by andysk View Post
Couldn't agree more Tony, I picked up Issues 5 & 6 at Waterstones inTunbridge Wells of all places, a lot of maritime interest there ! It was in the book section, and I haven't missed an issue since.

You mention the index, for a modest payment, the index is available on CD ROM, allegedly I am the only customer for that so far !

Cheers

Andy
Sad to report, but Ships in Focus Record has ceased to exist as a part work with Issue 64 (Late 2016) being the last. There is an annual publication planned, the first in 2017, but I haven't heard anything yet.

I am hand-binding my copies, but it's a bit slow as I am re-reading the articles; the pics are of a consistently high quality.

Last edited by andysk; 26th June 2017 at 23:46..
Old 19th October 2017, 10:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by andysk View Post
Sad to report, but Ships in Focus Record has ceased to exist as a part work with Issue 64 (Late 2016) being the last. There is an annual publication planned, the first in 2017, but I haven't heard anything more yet.
Sad to hear that.

Last edited by Shane Ferguson; 20th October 2017 at 07:23..
Old 19th October 2017, 14:55

Years ago I was asked by the then editor of Sea Breezes to write an article on my circumnavigation under sail. I was told it could be several months before it was published. I wrote the article and sent it with a pile of original photos. Months and months went by, the editor died and I asked for my photos back, at least. They eventually told me they were lost. Very annoying !
And Ddraigmor - nice to see you back on SN. Didn't you disappear for a while?
Incidentally I am intrigued by your Ddraigmor. Being a Welsh speaker the double D seems wrong - should be the single D - Draigmor ""
Best wishes.
Old 19th October 2017, 15:25

She'll magazines

When on the Hyria we had a shell mag sent aboard and in it was a report and photo of Peter Newlands being presented by a shell bigwig with the B.E.M.I was with peter on the Tilapa when the old man sent for him and told him about the award,as I have posted before he must have been one of the youngest persons to been given this honouri think he was only 16 or 17.I have tried many times to find Peter but to no avail wonder where he is now?
Old 19th October 2017, 19:33

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidsal View Post
Years ago I was asked by the then editor of Sea Breezes to write an article on my circumnavigation under sail. I was told it could be several months before it was published. I wrote the article and sent it with a pile of original photos. Months and months went by, the editor died and I asked for my photos back, at least. They eventually told me they were lost. Very annoying !
And Ddraigmor - nice to see you back on SN. Didn't you disappear for a while?
Incidentally I am intrigued by your Ddraigmor. Being a Welsh speaker the double D seems wrong - should be the single D - Draigmor ""
Best wishes.
I had an article published in Sea Breezes in the Feb 1988. It was published the month after I submitted it and I got the cheque a couple of weeks later. The editor at that time was C H Milsom.

By the way Sidsal, that post by Ddraigmor was over ten years ago. He's not back, and I doubt you will see him here again.

regards,
Pat
Old 19th October 2017, 22:29
Department: Engineering
Active: 1947 - 1954

My location
Ddraigmor means Sea Dragon. Ddraigmor Goch Red Dragon.
Old 20th October 2017, 00:58
Active: 1966 - 1981

Ship Magazines

Our local Chapters branch carries a fine selection of nautical magazines including Classic British Cargo Liners and Ships Illustrated Classic Ships, which publications contain a large and varied selection of photographs of the type of vessel most on this site appear to have sailed on.
Old 20th October 2017, 07:51
Active: 1951 - 1999

My location
Sea Breezes are now pretty good to deal with. I have had several accounts of voyages in the Bank Line published, including the last which was about a RTW voyage in the Ernebank in Coronation year 1953. ( The current issue has an article about the old ‘ Duke of Lancaster.) An unsolicited modest payment appears in my bank account from time to time!
Old 20th October 2017, 12:54

And "Coastal Shipping" magazine goes from strength to strength. There are now two free supplements published every year. Best of all, the cost of a subscription rarely increases - although the number of pages in the magazine does increase. How do they do it???
Old 22nd October 2017, 04:38

My location
I still get "The Log" here in Oz and find it very informative with some excellent photos of vessels I have sailed in. The part of Shipping Companies is a bit confusing as the different Companies seem to join up and start new routes
every issue, still get names like ANL but it sure aint the Oz Guvmint Shipping Co. any more!!
Ern Barrett
Old 25th October 2017, 08:26

My location
I still get the log as well Ern. Great magazine, great pics especially as now all colour mainly and some very good reading. Only mag i get now. Used to Get S T and Y Ships Monthly and Sea Breezes but costing me a fortune it was plus found S N and that was good enough for me. Dave
Old 3rd August 2018, 21:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by R651400 View Post
I started with "Sea Breezes," which I subscribed to for many years and evenually gave up on image and content quality for "Ships Monthly."
I have swapped SM on a regular basis for Shipping Today and Yesterday with an old pal in NZ.
Now that ST & Y have learned to spell it I feel it has overtaken both rivals above.
i have both sea breezes and ships monthly formats - and find them a lot more interesting - some of my sea breezes go back as far as 1935 - and ships monthly 1975 - the latter in their binders
Old 4th August 2018, 11:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernhelenbarrett View Post
I still get "The Log" here in Oz and find it very informative with some excellent photos of vessels I have sailed in. The part of Shipping Companies is a bit confusing as the different Companies seem to join up and start new routes
every issue, still get names like ANL but it sure aint the Oz Guvmint Shipping Co. any more!!
Ern Barrett
Pretty sure some French company bought it Ern - wonder who they paid?

John T
Old 28th July 2019, 11:54
Organisation: Coasters
Active: 1959 - Present

the old format of sea breezes was excellent,not keen on the new version,might add its getting slightly boring!!!!