James Dredging Company. - Page 3 - Ships Nostalgia
23:32

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

James Dredging Company.

User Tag List

Old 30th March 2011, 16:31

Past crews of Westmnister Dredging

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman View Post
I will do Glyn the next time I see frank, as for richard I have never heard of him sorry. Did you ever come across my Uncle Ian Cox, he sailed in the Wightstone and I believe the Bankstone. I also worked alongside some of the other names mention, Bob Tanner, Doug Cook, Brian chapman, Ken Lymn.
G'Day Sandman,

Strange, after being absent from this thread for some time, several names crop up . I was watching "Doctors"...I know, I know..but it is raining and it is cold and I am 77...but one of the actors was a certain Christian Rodska, years ago he changed the spelling from the original Danish for the ease of the English nation, but it brought back, again memories of his Superintendent father. Did you ever meet his father?

Glyn
Old 31st March 2011, 17:42
Super Moderator
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1952 - 1965

Couple of other names from JD at Northam, Jack Delaney, Bernard,father & son and George a more civilised Dutchman in the engineers office. Alf in the stores.
Old 3rd November 2011, 15:05
Organisation: Coasters
Department: Deck
Active: 1960 - 1984

anyone recall "carnroe","grabwell","48",the Floods,Ken Smith,Bill Coward,the Parkers?All James men I believe.We used to change shifts at 50 berth Southampton.
Old 18th November 2011, 05:38

James Dredging

I toiled on the Foremost Southampton in Boke Guinea ‘West Africa’
Bill Cunningham Superintendent, Ken Smith Master, George Hughes Mate.

Since then I have managed to work in the other Guinea’s, Equatorial and at the present moment I’m working in Papua New Guinea.

I learnt a lot from Ken and other masters from WD. There were some bad eggs, but I will hold back on that as time heals ‘honest!’

Bill Peters ex Amerika, Arpley, Southampton, Beaver Chief etc. etc.
Old 22nd November 2011, 08:16

Hi Bill,I worked with all 3 of those good men.Ken Smith and George
Hughes in France,and also in several locations in UK. Bill was Agent
in Felixstow on one job.Thanks for that,wonder where they are now?
Eric B.
Old 25th November 2011, 11:33

re Ken Smith and George Hughes I think the agent on that job in france was a
Dutchman of many languages called Max Remains?I also worked on F.Southampton in Gibraltar.
Eric
Old 14th February 2012, 14:46

james and westminister dredging

hi been reading this thread,was wondering if anyone remembered ted whitfield,who worked for james and westminister dredging ,he lived in southampton being bought up in northam. whitfields all went to sea my dad granddad and great granddad all being sailors.
Old 14th February 2012, 17:35
Super Moderator

GreetingsB] yobsub [/B]and welcome to SN. Bon voyage.

Last edited by R58484956; 1st June 2012 at 17:18..
Old 14th February 2012, 22:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by yobsub View Post
hi been reading this thread,was wondering if anyone remembered ted whitfield,who worked for james and westminister dredging ,he lived in southampton being bought up in northam. whitfields all went to sea my dad granddad and great granddad all being sailors.
hi yobsub,bumpt into Ted in sainsburys,bitterne southampton about 2
years ago.He looked fit and healthy for his age-70ish,said he was doing a" bit of part time "work in a boatyard at northam bridge.
eric b.
Old 15th February 2012, 15:25

hi,yea hes still walking about everywhere,got his own little cabin cruiser in bitterne manor.celebrating his 80th in april,would be good to invite some of his old freinds.
Old 1st June 2012, 16:59
Organisation: Maritime Enthusiast
Active: 1959 - 1999

James Dredging Co Southampton 1915 1926

Hi,
My grandfather was a Captain working for James in Southampton from 1915 to 1926, Does anyone have any records or photographs for this period. In 1914 he was Captian of the dredger Catalan working near the Forth Bridge, not sure if the dredger was ownewd by James.
Old 1st June 2012, 19:35

Hi Terryk,I worked for James Dredging from early 60's so wouldn't know of the
Catalan.Still nice to get some more interest in the old dredging days,good luck,Eric.
Old 2nd January 2013, 18:08
Active: 1969 - 2005

James Dredging

I was an Apprentice Electrician in James Yard where my father sailed out of as Master. He was on the 95, 101, 46,47 all the tugs at some point then Itchen, Test, Hilbre ect. He is here in Canada having just had his 95th birthday.
We replaced the switchboards on the Sandstone, and Rockstone (after her E/R fire), made in the little shop on Bellvidere Road.
Dad's name is Sam Jupe.
I know that this is an old thread but hopefully someone will see it and remember.
Ray
Old 3rd January 2013, 07:51

F101 James Dredging

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray the lecky View Post
I was an Apprentice Electrician in James Yard where my father sailed out of as Master. He was on the 95, 101, 46,47 all the tugs at some point then Itchen, Test, Hilbre ect. He is here in Canada having just had his 95th birthday.
We replaced the switchboards on the Sandstone, and Rockstone (after her E/R fire), made in the little shop on Bellvidere Road.
Dad's name is Sam Jupe.
I know that this is an old thread but hopefully someone will see it and remember.
Ray
Hi Ray,I remember you from my times on most of the bucket dredgers
and pumps in southampton where I was on deck as gopher, mate and skipper.I also worked with Sam occasionally on F101 at Portsmouth harbour,where ,if I remember right,you put some site lights up for us at Browndown,Stokes Bay.Good to hear from you
regards to Sam,marvelous age,hope you are all well,Eric Buck of Foremost Southampton,and other craft.
Old 3rd January 2013, 16:44

James Dredging Company

Thank you for the reply Eric. I did work at Browndown and Dad was on the Portsmouth Harbour job (Flathouse).
I will go and see him and tell him about this site. He will be really pleased.
A previous post asked about "Ted Whitfield". I wonder if they meant Teddy Whitlock. He had a brother,Len, and their stepfather Charlie Miller, was the labourer/ temporary light man in our shop.
Re your post 3rd Nov 2011.:
The Carnroe was the steam pumper barge that did a lot of the reclamation work with the Dibden Bay. The 48 was the old steam
bucket dredger that worked Southampton waters before the Foremost Southampton came along. I remember the Grabwell doing the test cofferdam for the new container berth at 110 dock way out at the end.They had driven pilings to form a square which was pumped out and Grabwell clam shelled the bottom. She couldn't reach as deep as they wanted to go so 4 Irish labourers were sent down to dig it by hand so Grabwell could haul it up in a bucket. I think they lived in the hold on her!!!
The office keeper at 50 berth was Mr Flood. His son George was often mate with dad and they maintained a friendship until George passed away.
He and his wife came to holiday with mum and dad and had some good times. George was a good guy.
Ken Smith and Bill Coward are names that I remember that dad talks fondly about when we chat.
The Parkers: They were all short guys except for the one who was a floatplant boilermaker. He was big. One of the older ones was a superintendent with the Land and Marine out of the yard. His brother (I think) was deaf and was known as "Deafy Parker". Dave Parker served his apprenticeship in the electrical shop and was senior there. I think that he worked on the QE2 on her first run across the Atlantic. I met him again doing work for us when I was on the Cableship Mercury in Southampton.
Best regards.
Ray
Old 3rd January 2013, 20:54

F101 James Dredging

Well Ray,you've brought back some good memories for me there.Ted Whitfield worked on Foremost Southampton with me and Ken Smith in Gibraltar 30 odd years ago,someone dropped a shackle on his head,so after that he was called "shackle head",he was a good hand,must be 80 odd now,last saw him in Bitterne afew years ago.Ted Whitlock past away early last year.Ken Whitlock gets around Shirley,he's 80,don't know where Len is.I did a "run job" from Cork with George Flood a few years ago on F102 I think it was,anyway Sam led the way in heavy weather on F101,I worked the dredgers "Asia"and "Afrika"on that job.
Bill Coward was a nice man,and I recall working with Dick Parker with the survey boat on I.O.W. at some stage.Good old days.
Thanks Ray,best wishes for 2013,regards to Sam,don't expect he remembers me.
Eric .
Old 19th January 2013, 23:39

James Dredging Company

Hi Eric.
Had another chat with my father about this thread and I will now submit the following.

1. George Flood's father and uncle were checkers employed by the Southern Railway. They would check the loads and type of spoil of each hopper before it went to the dump when work was being carried out by James Dredging for The Southern railway. George's dad was later employed as "the man in 50 Berth". Ernie James bought him a new bike when they took him on. Dad recalls that at one time there seemed to be nothing but Floods on the job.

2. He thinks that The Foremost Dredging Company was originally set up to build dredgers in Northern England to sell to South Africa. Ted Flood had the task of preparing the new builds and putting them through their trials. He also had 2 sons on the float plant.

3. When the Carnroe was scrapped, the engineer on the Foremost 102 had the triple expansion engine taken to the Southampton Nautical College and reconstructed it for teaching purposes.

Keep in mind that he is 95 now and can't remember as well as he used to. Maybe there are other members who can confirm some of these statements.
Regards.
Ray.
Old 20th January 2013, 11:00
Super Moderator

At one time Rhys Bernard was in the electric shop with a Polish supervisor who I think was called Jan.
Old 20th January 2013, 12:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray the lecky View Post
Hi Eric.
Had another chat with my father about this thread and I will now submit the following.

1. George Flood's father and uncle were checkers employed by the Southern Railway. They would check the loads and type of spoil of each hopper before it went to the dump when work was being carried out by James Dredging for The Southern railway. George's dad was later employed as "the man in 50 Berth". Ernie James bought him a new bike when they took him on. Dad recalls that at one time there seemed to be nothing but Floods on the job.

2. He thinks that The Foremost Dredging Company was originally set up to build dredgers in Northern England to sell to South Africa. Ted Flood had the task of preparing the new builds and putting them through their trials. He also had 2 sons on the float plant.

3. When the Carnroe was scrapped, the engineer on the Foremost 102 had the triple expansion engine taken to the Southampton Nautical College and reconstructed it for teaching purposes.

Keep in mind that he is 95 now and can't remember as well as he used to. Maybe there are other members who can confirm some of these statements.
Regards.
Ray.
Hi Ray,I remember some of the Floods.Old Tom Flood was "the man in 50 berth"who rode a push bike,Young Tom a checker for Docks board.Ted Flood I worked with on "F48"at Southend at one time,Harold Kearslake was engineer.Ted's son Jack went to Australia with "Foremost Prince".Ted's Brother Bill was a barge hand at the time.Frankie Parr was Skipper of "Carnroe" for years.James's was "Flooded out",as it were,also a few Parkers.Thanks for the memories Ray,regards,
Eric.
Old 20th January 2013, 22:54

Rhys Bernard finished his apprenticeship before me. My foreman was Roy Faithful.
Some other names that come to mind, Dennis Cooper, Shipwright foreman, Alan Anderson, Machine shop foreman, Alf Marlow, Storekeeper, Burt the van driver.
Reg Halford Crane driver's mate.
Barry Langford was a fitter apprentice. His father was a Chief Engineer with dad in the middle east.
Old 21st January 2013, 08:21

Barry's dad Jack Langford worked with us on "Afrika"in Cobh,and"Carnroe"and various other jobs in UK.Dennis Brown was with the civil engineering side,Pontoons etc in Southampton.I do recall those other names in the yard,also another driver called George Maunders.
Old 21st January 2013, 15:11
Super Moderator

R Faithful had his wife working in the office
Danny in the stores, Harry on the gate, Dennis and Ray in fitting shop with that B****** Albert. Ron & John Hampton Old Harry up in the top office.
Some could before your time.
Old 21st January 2013, 16:38

Harry Longman,the man on the gate,sent me to 50 berth to see a Dutchman named Adrian 'Harry' Kop who put me on a barge and thus started my journey with 'James dredging co'in the early 60's.
Eric B
Old 21st January 2013, 16:50

I don't think that Faithful's wife worked in the office but Leo Crummy worked in the yard and his wife Lydia was in the office on the switchboard.
How about Drake's gang of rough painters and labourers. Now there was a bunch of characters.
Ray
Old 22nd January 2013, 08:04

You've got a good memory Ray,how could I forget Drakes gang?Whenever we were layed up in the yard,Albert would conscript all the crew into his gang.
Eric