King Edward VII Nautical College Old Boys Association - Page 3 - Ships Nostalgia
11:59

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

King Edward VII Nautical College Old Boys Association

User Tag List

Old 9th January 2012, 19:52
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1959 - 2007

My location
Just been told how to pick the pic with an iMac with OSX Lion.
Click on the attachment
Click on the pic
Click on your choice of saves
Whap.

Don't know what happens in Windows.
Best thought: ask grandkids or neighbours ten year old.

And you got a copy safely?? downloaded.

Aaah, we computer literate people are really something else, aint we?
Old 10th January 2012, 06:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by China hand View Post
I remember getting a bulwarking from Capt Ballard because I changed my blazer buttons to MN ( my Dads' oldies) buttons. Threatened me with "masquerading, false representation" , punishable by various ghastly things ( ended up polishing the office deck and replacing buttons in watch ashore time).

Take a copy of the badge if you want, folks: just don't ask me how to do it!

Belated Happy New Year to all.
Happy New Year to you and all.
China Hand - you knew Capt. Ballard ? When did you attend KE (sometime in the 50's ? )
Old 10th January 2012, 11:41

Thanks (China Hand) for posting the Blazer Bladge. I have downloaded it very simply, right click and save as (file of ones own choice.) I used to have my own tucked away somewhere.
I see you were at King Teds the same time as myself and therefore I could possibly remember you if you were to disclose your name. Send me an e mail if you wish.
Very happy time spent at the college, but it was constant study if I remember, as everyone says, day and evening even Saturdays when 'on board' at Cromwell Road although I did play football for the college somewhere near Clapham?
Happy New Year to everyone aboard here
Old 10th January 2012, 16:43

Did my pre-sea training at King Teds in 1954 and 2nd Mates ticket in 1959. Great days! I have fond memories of the three months boarding in South Kensington and and of the lunchtime sessions in the pub across the road from the college ( long since demolished for road improvements) and returning late back for orals with Captains Frost , McBride Miller etc.
Old 10th January 2012, 19:37
Active: 1959 - 2007

My location
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wood View Post
Happy New Year to you and all.
China Hand - you knew Capt. Ballard ? When did you attend KE (sometime in the 50's ? )
Hi Tom, and others, and best wishes for the forthcoming year to All.

I was in KE during 1959, went to sea in April 1960.

Anyone remember the Channel swim trips on Wendorian? Lowestoft , via Aldborough to the channel, then back and forth with the Butlins team on board and all sorts of radio buffs keeping contact.
Rowing the Old Man ashore to obtain, and then listening to the "clink" of the necessary navigational supplies so obtained, on the row back. Way to go!!
Old 15th January 2012, 04:02

KE Vll NC - 1951

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearwood View Post
Just for the record, King Edward's was the next step in the education of many ex pupils of the Royal Merchant Navy School who followed their fathers into the Merchant Navy. As Alumni Secretary for the Old Royals Association I am in touch with quite a few of them from the 1940s and 1950s.
Just came across your thread - I was at KE 50/51 and would like to know if the college exists or has moved.
Living in the States and hope to visit U.K. in spring 2012.
I've tried to contact others but without response and have many stories to tell about the college.
You may email me [email protected].
Wishing you a happy new year. regards Tom.
Old 17th January 2012, 22:59

KE Vll NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalby View Post
Did my pre-sea training at King Teds in 1954 and 2nd Mates ticket in 1959. Great days! I have fond memories of the three months boarding in South Kensington and and of the lunchtime sessions in the pub across the road from the college ( long since demolished for road improvements) and returning late back for orals with Captains Frost , McBride Miller etc.
I was at KE in 51 and had the best trainning with some good and not so good times.
We got caught skinny dipping in Hyde Park by 2 local bobbies - one just happen to be a women.
I've tried to contact others but no success - Can you tell me if KE still exists and how to contact - I'm trying to put a log together so those never again times are kept for Nostalgia.
Any moments you remember do let me know and if you want your name included in my log.
Regards Tom
Old 19th January 2012, 11:05
Department: Navigation
Active: 1953 - 1992

King Edward VII

I was at KE VII during 1st, Quarter 1953 and had a very enjoyable pre-sea training period. It was a pleasure to read back over the various posts and recall many names especially all of the lecturers in particular Captain Griffiths..a fine mariner. Gloucester Road bring back memories.

First company was Wm. France Fenwick on the "Rushwood" with fellow student David Blagg................who now resident in Newfoundland.
Old 1st February 2012, 23:17

Thoughts on K.E.V11 nautical school

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave437 View Post
R594580. See previous thread! Did 2nd Mates at King Teds 1957-8. Great fun, passed everything except signals......bloody semaphore!!! Hated it.
Dave.
Hi Dave, I too sat second mate around that time, many sat but only six of us passed, one of the first who had to sit radar cert before we got our second mates ticket printed. Went to K.E.V11 pre sea for a year aroung 1954-55, Capt Johanson used to take us for boat and sail training, but can't remember which dock. now live in Earthquake city of Christchurch NZ. Sadly havent been home to my old home in Buckhurst Hill .Essex since I passed second mates in 1958
regards Rob Allen.
Old 2nd February 2012, 13:55

We did our sailing and rowing in the West India Dock and on at least one occasion hurtled up and down the Thames with Capt. Tulloch in charge.I don't recollect ever wearing a life jacket?
Old 20th February 2012, 03:20

King Edward Vll NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearwood View Post
Just for the record, King Edward's was the next step in the education of many ex pupils of the Royal Merchant Navy School who followed their fathers into the Merchant Navy. As Alumni Secretary for the Old Royals Association I am in touch with quite a few of them from the 1940s and 1950s.
I was at KEVll in '51 and looking for any class mates still around.
Trying to log a scrip of all the good and fun times, happenings that took part - any year for posterity and nostalgia.
Don't believe any book form or write-up exists re: this fine upstanding and one of a kind nautical college.
Appreciate any response.
Tom.
Old 5th May 2012, 10:42
Active: 1952 - 1954

It's a few years later than your post, but there was so much there that resonated! The names just sprang back into my memory and I relived the time at KEVII once again!
Old 5th May 2012, 21:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keltic Star View Post
"Magellan"
Here you go with photo credits to who ever sent it to me years ago.
I'm the one leaning on the cabin and seem to remember that the boat moored on the other side of the pontoon at Cadogan pier was also used for training. Any ideas on identity?
(See earlier posting of the Magellan photo)
Old 3rd June 2012, 14:14

Watching the preparations for the Jubilee Pageant.
What a shame the old Wendorian is long gone.She would have looked a treat in St.Katherines dock where she regularly berthed.
Old 4th June 2012, 20:18
Active: 1959 - Present

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe C View Post
Watching the preparations for the Jubilee Pageant.
What a shame the old Wendorian is long gone.She would have looked a treat in St.Katherines dock where she regularly berthed.
Probably would not have seen her as the BBC coverage, of the vessels, was very patchy and disappointing. Too many 'celebs' and too few boats.
Not been into St Katherines Dock on Wendorian only Wapping Basin but has gone as well now.
Old 5th June 2012, 13:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthew flinders View Post
Probably would not have seen her as the BBC coverage, of the vessels, was very patchy and disappointing. Too many 'celebs' and too few boats.
Not been into St Katherines Dock on Wendorian only Wapping Basin but has gone as well now.
Was fortunate on one occasion to join her in Lowestoft and came round the coast and up the Thames,what an experience for a sixteen year old.
Unfortunately on the way up the Thames we hit a submerged obstacle,the river was filthy then and full of flotsam and jetsum,which damaged the propellor and we had to limp into Deptford Creek.
Obvious joke of the day"up Deptford Creek without a propellor"
I also remember very well getting pantry duty and scraping plates of uneaten tinned pilchards into the slops bucket and trying not to add to the mess.Must have been choppy!
Old 24th July 2012, 12:30

King Ted's - Captain Warren Hopwood RIP

Apologies for cross-posting if you've already seen this elsewhere.

Captain Warren Hopwood, whose first teaching post was at King Ted's when it was the Nautical *School*, died on 14 July 2012 aged 88. The funeral was held on 23 July.

Wish him safe passage through uncharted waters.

Mark
====
Old 28th July 2012, 18:08

I was at King Teds for the four month pre-sea course, September 1962 to December 1962.

I remember the smogs and the noise of Cromwell Road. And the LCC Stepney Insititute where most lessons were held, (I think?).. And 4 fabulous days on the Glen Strathallen off the Thames estuary. And rowing a whaler in West India Dock. And we learned small boat-handling on the Cabot, a small but nippy motor boat moored against the Wellington.

And I remember watches and being duty officer for the evening, ringing the bell, etc.. And lots of homework and study... and playing football against Port watch (I was Starboard), up at the Wormwood Scrubs pitches..... it was all great, working on charts, learning navigation theory, necessary maths, etc..I even remember we had to pick one evening class a week on any subject of oyr choice. I think that's really imaginative, instigates a sense of the importance of continual learning which I've not forgot... I thoroughly enjoyed the whole thing, the teachers were very good mostly, and it made me really want to get to sea and I felt well-prepared when I joined my first ship.

Hat's off the King Edward VII Nautical College, a great institution.
Old 9th August 2012, 22:37

Thumbs up RE: Your amazing story of the flour bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by borderreiver View Post
I was up for my master when a King Ted young man for 2 mates went before the examiners wearing a flour bag. he was asked to leave.The senior examiner asked to see the principle of King Teds
That's interesting and good to add to the book I'm trying to write about KEV11
I was one of the early birds - did a full course in 1951
Would appreciate you telling the full story, the period and any other interests happen while you were at the college.
Are you in touch with others ?

Either on here or go to my (open) email [email protected]
Old 19th December 2014, 13:03
Active: 1949 - 1954

Hello Old Boys of Sir John Cass College then Ke V11,in 1948/9. I returned after 4 years with the apprenticeship with Lambert Brothers on board Coulbeg and coulgarve. Great times. Graham Williams ([email protected]) Any replies welcome.

Reference King Edward V11 in London
Old 23rd August 2015, 13:34

Ke7

Hi - I attended KE7 from January 1953 untl January 1954
on my first day we were confronted by Capt Johansen who told us to call him Jo. the other instuctors were Mr Brown , Capt Griffiths, Capt
hussey who if my memory serves told us he served some time on
cable layers and we should never use gloves when handling wire
cables as a broken strand can stick in the glove and if you cant get your hand out quickly it can take it round the winch drum and you
can loose fingers which he said he was speaking from first hand (pun
not intended)
I can only remember a few students from my year Butler,Debney,
Sebbage, Mendus,Ayres, Willoughby, and now my mind is a blank.
I have many good memories and I could fill pages but I wont boor
you now.
If I can think of anything really interesting Ill come back again God
willing
Old 23rd August 2015, 16:46

janmike

I also was on the short course Sept '54, memorial service at St. Pauls, memorial service at Tower Hill. First trip to sea with BTC Jan.55. Should also mention as in a previous thread took the Wendorian from Lowestoft to London Dock. It is a shame it is all posh now.

Found out the other day that my wifes ancestors had a shop across the road from 680 and Limehouse churchyard.

My father had a book bindery just up the road in Bethnal Green from the school
Old 26th November 2015, 16:34
Active: 1954 - 1962

My location
T/s Wendorian

Attended 1954,signing on first vessel October -Temple Hall ex Lambert Bros Shipping
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TS Wendorian at Sptihead Review 1953008.jpg (171.5 KB, 36 views)
Old 26th November 2015, 19:52
user
Organisation: Maritime Enthusiast
Department: Office / Administration
Active: 1958 - 2008

Hadn't seen that photo of the Wendorian before - lovely shot - thanks for posting.
Old 27th November 2015, 07:43
Active: 1958 - Present

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cwatcher View Post
Hadn't seen that photo of the Wendorian before - lovely shot - thanks for posting.
Likewise. Many thanks