Memory cards - Page 2 - Ships Nostalgia
03:42

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Memory cards

User Tag List

Old 7th September 2016, 20:36
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1965 - 1986

My location
Also a dashcam without GPS that doesn't record speed/gforce/etc isn't of much use in the event of an insurance claim. Might as well buy the part for the job.
Old 7th September 2016, 23:34

Dickyboy, hope you have success with your new purchase. One thing to note, though, is with any zoom lens, the image quality is not equal at all points. Generally, quality falls of rapidly towards the extremities. So, if you have an 18-55mm lens, the image quality is probably much higher between, say, 28-45, than it is between 18-28 and 45-55. In which case it is better keeping away from the ends to get the picture, and then zoom in on your actual photo on your pc, rather than zoom right in with the lens to fill the screen.
Old 8th September 2016, 05:33
Department: Deck
Active: 1964 - 2009

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by doncontrols View Post
Dickyboy, hope you have success with your new purchase. One thing to note, though, is with any zoom lens, the image quality is not equal at all points. Generally, quality falls of rapidly towards the extremities. So, if you have an 18-55mm lens, the image quality is probably much higher between, say, 28-45, than it is between 18-28 and 45-55. In which case it is better keeping away from the ends to get the picture, and then zoom in on your actual photo on your pc, rather than zoom right in with the lens to fill the screen.
Thanks for the tip Doncontrols. Often I only get one chance to get a decent picture. Early morning light and the scene can change very quickly, other vessels, yachts etc can get in the way. So anything I can do beforehand will improve my chances of getting a decent pic'. I often take 10 or more of one subject in the hope of getting one decent picture. That's the real beauty of digital cameras I think.
Old 10th September 2016, 03:38

My location
Ref Batteries

I shopped around on line, and there are many so called Compatible batteries, many for around a fiver. At that price they must be a bit iffey I think.
I did find a compatible battery - http://www.digitalmediastore.co.uk/c...Fa8W0wod9osG-A - But it comes with a serious health warning. Also it came with its own charger which MUST be used for their battery.
So after shopping around, weighing things up, and considering that I have a brand new camera I decided to buy the genuine article (As far as I can tell) for 45.98 including delivery.
Sounds like I lot, but I don't want to phuck up the camera using dodgy batteries.
Old 12th September 2016, 10:42
Active: 1966 - 1983

Dickeyboy

I have just splashed out on on a Nikon D7200 body and a Tamron SP70-300 mm lens in the hope of being able to take up wildlife and shipping pictures.

A lot to learn if going by the Camera and photographic journals inform us.

Nevertheless, looking forward to it as I will be down in Somerset shortly.

Maybe we should start a new thread just on amateur snapping or just on pm.

BW

J
Old 12th September 2016, 11:25

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcg View Post
Dickeyboy

I have just splashed out on on a Nikon D7200 body and a Tamron SP70-300 mm lens in the hope of being able to take up wildlife and shipping pictures.

A lot to learn if going by the Camera and photographic journals inform us.

Nevertheless, looking forward to it as I will be down in Somerset shortly.

Maybe we should start a new thread just on amateur snapping or just on pm.

BW

J
Wow! That looks like a very nice camera BW. Just googled it. Looks similar to my Canon.
I'm still trying mine out. I took it for a walk yesterday, and the pictures are A1. I have to say though that the still pictures still have to be tweaked using the computers own Windows or other software that I have. But I guess that's what the software is for.
One thing that only occurred to me yesterday is to always use the computer screen at the same brightness. I tend to turn it down a click or two at night. Otherwise pictures won't all be of a standard brightness, contrast Etc.
The HD video is amazing! Fantastic quality these days, and more pixels than you can shake a stick at.
I was tempted to get a higher volume Memory card 16 or 32 gig but decided against it for now. I have an 8 gig one, and download almost daily, so that has plenty of space on it for me.
The most complicated thing, for me, is the software that comes with the camera. The manuals are okay, and can be downloaded ad PDFs but some of the settings are very complicated for this novice.
Still there are lots of automatic settings that the camera can be set to that still give choices as to scenery type, action, lo light and so on. They make it a lot easier to use than setting up complicated things like ISOs, white balance and f stops. Just a matter of learning the basics for me first I think, then moving on to higher things.

Took a video and posted it on you tube yesterday, just to see how good it was https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nomSfGt-TGE Turned out pretty well I think. I used Windows Movie Maker, and their "Shake" correction tool. Otherwise it's just two videos fo the same subject cobbled together. Sounds very impressive as well.
Good Idea about a Happy Snappers thread by the way, and we can always call on the experts here if we can't solve problems ourselves. (y)
Old 12th September 2016, 13:06
Department: Engineering
Active: 1947 - 1954

My location
Snapping for Dummies would be a good name.
Old 12th September 2016, 14:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Rogers View Post
Snapping for Dummies would be a good name.
That's it then John - leave it to me. Just hope Steve is ok with this.

BW

J
Old 12th September 2016, 17:32
Department: Navigation

Back to using video for a dashcam, I did take a vid once of a drive to somewhere that I wanted to remember, the sound is the problem. Poor dear sat next to me can be heard "How much longer, my arms are tired.... My arms are really tired.... I can't hold it much longer" on and on for more than 5 minutes. Bless her, she puts up with a lot, but a dashcam mount she is not.
Old 12th September 2016, 17:35

My location
That was cruel John, next time buy a Dash Cam Helmet for her.
Old 12th September 2016, 21:25

My location
If we do get a forum for snapper Cranfield is the man that can help us as h has taken hundreds of photos.
Old 12th September 2016, 21:35
user
Active: 1969 - 1973

Why not just start a thread in the photography forum?
Don,t mean to sound churlish but this once great site is already overrun with non maritime subjects.
Old 12th September 2016, 22:56

My location
May I be the first to say thats a good idea, never thought of that. I was just trying to keep Dickyboy happy its all his fault.
Old 13th September 2016, 02:55

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Rogers View Post
May I be the first to say thats a good idea, never thought of that. I was just trying to keep Dickyboy happy its all his fault.
That's all right, lay it all on lil ol me, I've got broad shoulders
A thread within the Photography forum sounds good to me.
Containing almost anything, but few ships as there's already a proper gallery for them.
Containing ones own work only as well, unless it's for example purposes.
Also, what would be the main purpose of the thread (To be stated) To display Happy Snapper Snaps, or to learn from each other by giving advice, also the odd failed photo could be acceptable for a giggle. Or all of the above? Showing the worst of the worst, as well as the best of the best, which is usually happens on picture sites I think.
Old 13th September 2016, 04:58

My location
I being a point and shoot man till, one day had conversation with a news cameraman of 20+ years he advised the he usually set camera's on Aperture and let the camera do all the work, just focus and shoot. He was spot on been doing so for some time and it has given great results. Getting to technical he said can lead you astray worth a try Dicky Boy.
Cheers GWB
Old 13th September 2016, 09:37

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWB View Post
I being a point and shoot man till, one day had conversation with a news cameraman of 20+ years he advised the he usually set camera's on Aperture and let the camera do all the work, just focus and shoot. He was spot on been doing so for some time and it has given great results. Getting to technical he said can lead you astray worth a try Dicky Boy.
Cheers GWB
I wonder, is that the same as just setting the camera on Auto? I have two basic auto settings. One with flash, one without. Plus several other auto modes for sceneries fish eye, closeups and so on.
Old 13th September 2016, 10:24

No, I would not wish to depart from the main purpose of this wonderful site, however as almost all of us have a deep affinity and love of ships and the sea capturing the magic of shipping on camera is not a skill we all have.

So, on reflection, I guess its best to keep the thread as it is and perhaps be able to exchange tips and suggestions with fellow members within the existing thread or via Pms.

BW to all

J
Old 13th September 2016, 23:53

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWB View Post
Cheers GWB
What Aperture would one use.?
Old 14th September 2016, 03:15

If you want everything in focus (ie great depth of field) use a smaller aperture like f16 or f22.
If you want only the specific target in focus and the background less so use a larger aperture like f4.

Last edited by YM-Mundrabilla; 14th September 2016 at 03:18..
Old 14th September 2016, 18:20

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by YM-Mundrabilla View Post
If you want everything in focus (ie great depth of field) use a smaller aperture like f16 or f22.
If you want only the specific target in focus and the background less so use a larger aperture like f4.
Thanks, I will jot that down on a card and keep it in my photo bag and try them out.
Old 15th September 2016, 22:39

Quite a lot of the Digital cameras only have a very small range of apertures, the camera relies on other things (shutter speed and sensitivity) for the range of capabilities. Don't be put off by this, a digital camera will trounce a numpty like me with a film camera almost every time. My favoutite photo was taken on a point and shoot, nothing could be altered and it was a film camera.
Old 15th September 2016, 23:50
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1965 - 1986

My location
I'm only a snapper too, and I have to say some of my favourite pictures I took with a good old fashioned film camera. But since I was never really a skilled photographer, I skipped all the developing and printing side of it in favour of Boots or those send away print and develop outfits that were around in the 80's and 90's. What I like about digital cameras is not only the ability to fire off lots of shots, (bit like a shotgun, one pellet will find the mark) but being able to process your pictures on the old computer and crop them how you want them. This is not cheating, photographers have being doing that since photography started, but those develop and print boys had to work very hard to do it.
I'm not sure I'd describe photography as a hobby to me, that suggests I spend a lot of time at it. I just think being able to take a pix with a lot of technological aid makes for a better memory of the thing you were snapping.
I suspect the purists will disagree, and I do have some sympathy for their point of view, (not that I'm going to change anything mind you.)
Old 16th September 2016, 16:53

When the kids were small, I started to get fed up with only seeing them through a camera, and they started gurning at the damn thing. My favourite digital can be used at waist level. Snatched shots and informal photos got the pleasure back, and now I have a grandson to practice on.
Old 18th September 2016, 09:41

My location
I took my pocket camera with me today, just around town while shopping. I tried all the various settings, some of which are for taking smaller pictures for posting directly to the internet (Though still too big for this site) The results were very disappointing. The pictures have a sort of washed out look about them, and correction with an editing program was needed to get decent colour, tint ETC into them. Not worth the hassle. I found just as good to take regular pictures, and then reduce the size using editing software, having made a copy of the original to use. I use "Picture Manager" in M/S Office for this. It's quick and easy, and the end result can be fine tuned using any other software.
I find that I can get a reasonable sized picture, and not just a thumbnail, to be accepted onto this site. A bit of trial and error with Picture Manager at first, but I've got the hang of it now.
Old 18th September 2016, 09:54

My location
Here's a sample shot. This was taken with my new camera a few days ago. The original size was 9.98 MB. Reduced to fit this site, it's reduced to 1.53 KB. Which is pretty good as long a one doesn't save the picture and try and zoom in for extra detail. I chose this pic' because of the various details in it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0024 - Copy.JPG (153.5 KB, 17 views)