Mobile phones - Ships Nostalgia
12:06

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Mobile phones

User Tag List

Old 5th June 2017, 11:03

Mobile phones

Comrades,

Perhaps one/some of you may be able to give me some basic mobile phone advice.

For donkey's years I have had a basic Oz Telstra (oldies) mobile phone on which I can make and receive calls and SMS messages quite satisfactory. It has a camera that I wouldn't know how to use but have no use for anyway.

I have now been given a more up-to-date basic phone with similar functions. My question is:

Can I just take the SIM card from one phone and put it in the other and, if so, will it work and keep the contacts list?

Any advice will be appreciated, please.

YM
Old 5th June 2017, 11:36

It should work - I have done the same myself several times.

IF your new phone is locked into a single network provider and the SIM is from a different network then it might be a problem which any high street phone shop can 'unlock'.

Just try it and see.
Old 5th June 2017, 11:48
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1960 - 1966

My location
It will also depend on whether you saved your 'Contacts' list on the SIM or in the 'phone's memory. That was determined when you originally set the options when you got the old 'phone.

Never regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many. Don't worry about old age - it doesn't last.
Old 5th June 2017, 12:12

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by YM-Mundrabilla View Post
Comrades,

Perhaps one/some of you may be able to give me some basic mobile phone advice.

For donkey's years I have had a basic Oz Telstra (oldies) mobile phone on which I can make and receive calls and SMS messages quite satisfactory. It has a camera that I wouldn't know how to use but have no use for anyway.

I have now been given a more up-to-date basic phone with similar functions. My question is:

Can I just take the SIM card from one phone and put it in the other and, if so, will it work and keep the contacts list?

Any advice will be appreciated, please.

YM
Geoff, I think Bob Clay will answer this for you as he recently posted doing the same exercise with his new phone. I'll shortly be doing the same thing, so will be watching this thread with interest!

Incidentally, when I last changed my phone, I discovered that I could browse the net, watch movies, etc on my old phone, without a sim-card, so didn't use or pay for any data on the new one, either. Lasted for six months. Everyone I talked to said it couldn't happen - but it did!!

Taff
Old 5th June 2017, 14:21
Active: 1965 - 1986

My location
Ahh well in my case I got a new phone with same supplier only to find the new phone took a nano SIM card so I was unable to transfer it due being a different size. So I had to get a new SIM card from the supplier and transfer various apps and odds and ends that I'd put in since I got it.
If your SIM card fits in the new phone and they're not locked you should be ok.

Interestingly I'm trying to get the old phone unlocked from EE but they're dithering about. Is that right that any high street phone shop can unlock it there and then ?
Old 5th June 2017, 16:00

They unlock mobile phones by using a simple PIN number. It's worth googling for the providers PIN number relative to the phone that's locked by the provider eg Vodaphone etc, then if you can find the unlocking code just apply it and you are in business and it will accept any SIM card from another network.
Old 5th June 2017, 17:35
Department: Deck
Active: 1954 - 1967

I recently acquired a first smartphone (Moto G4 on Pay as You Go) and have managed to familiarise myself with most ordinary functions. However, right from the start a message flagged up as follows:

“Overwrite
PAYG WAP already exists on your phone.
Select “Overwrite” to proceed or “New” to create a new profile.
Choice of buttons is: NEW or OVERWRITE”.

I cannot find guidance online on which button to select.

Keith

Last edited by Aberdonian; 5th June 2017 at 17:53..
Old 5th June 2017, 19:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobClay View Post
......Is that right that any high street phone shop can unlock it there and then ?
Not your official network supplier shop - The independent or market-trader type of person will usually have a sign saying 'phones unlocked' posted in a prominent place.
Old 5th June 2017, 19:56

My location
Well thanks for that, my nearest EE shop is 30 miles away so you've saved me a pointless journey. I can do it online, and have the IMEI number but their unlock team are constantly busy and keep saying call back later. Not very impressive.
Old 5th June 2017, 21:33
Organisation: Maritime Enthusiast
Active: 1970 - 1987

If your SIM card memory is full, you will have to transfer data to the memory of your new phone, and then insert the SIM in the old phone again to transfer data from that one on to the card. Repeat as necessary as they say in the old recipe books!

I had a phone that broke, and I had to meet a courier to collect the replacement. He wouldn't hang around while I transferred all my data, so I lost a lot of my business contacts that were in the phone memory.

Regards,
Old 6th June 2017, 11:55

If possible have a google account and save your contacts to that. Then they can be reloaded to your new phone.
Old 7th June 2017, 10:12

My location
With regard to unlocking my old EE phone. I tried one of the online 'unlocker' sites but they advised me after a day they were unable to unlock the phone and refunded my fee. I tried the SAMSUNG GALAXY free unlock method I found on Google but that doesn't work with EE. Apparently EE use some locking system that only they can unlock.

So I had to talk to lots of robots and press lots of phone buttons and wait for 10 minutes on hold for a second time but at least I did get through and did get the unlock code after paying 9 quid.

I also remained patient and did not give the operator any hassle, I figured it wasn't their fault, it's just modern corporate philosophy: If you have a good customer ... 'f**k them about.'

Then I went outside and chewed the lawn for half an hour.
Old 8th June 2017, 11:47

Thanks All.
The phone that I am using now works OK so I think that I will stick with it on the basis that 'if it works it don't need fixing'!
Geoff (YM)
Old 8th June 2017, 17:01
Active: 1957 - 1969

Quote:
Originally Posted by YM-Mundrabilla View Post
Thanks All.
The phone that I am using now works OK so I think that I will stick with it on the basis that 'if it works it don't need fixing'!
Geoff (YM)
Geoff I tried one those phones I gave it the deep six after a short while I have one of those flip type that stop when you shut it those other things are not for me i,m of another time best regards to all hands Dave .
Old 8th June 2017, 17:03
Active: 1957 - 1969

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasco View Post
If possible have a google account and save your contacts to that. Then they can be reloaded to your new phone.
I got everyone,s number written down on a peice of paper just in case
Old 8th June 2017, 23:13
Department: Navigation

My location
If the SIM is the same size, you should be able to swop sims, and off you go. You may even be able to save all your contacts from the old phone to the SIM, and that way, if you swop your SIM to the new phone, you can restore the contacts without having to type them all in manually.