Palmliners - Bernie Grace has crossed the bar. - Ships Nostalgia
18:09

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Palmliners - Bernie Grace has crossed the bar.

User Tag List

Old 19th July 2017, 18:04
Organisation: Other Merchant Fleets
Department: Engineering
Active: 1973 - 2010

My location
Palmliners - Bernie Grace has crossed the bar.

I have received the following sad news from Jerry Batte and would ask all to remember, or raise a glass to, Bernie :-

Unhappily I have to report the sad news that Bernie passed away last week. Aside from being the most conscientious ship’s agent Palm Line had the fortune to employ, Bernie became a true friend to so many of the seagoing staff joining, leaving and standing by the company’s ships in Liverpool. Those of us who attended last month’s Palm reunion in Wallasey were delighted to see Bernie there and though clearly very frail he was in excellent spirits and his dry humour was as strong as ever. I valued his friendship over the half century I knew him and will miss the monthly chats we had over the last thirty years following the company shutting up shop. These were usually fuelled by one (rarely) or more (frequently) glasses of something alcoholic. I will miss those calls.

His funeral will take place at 11.30 on 2nd August at St Columba RC Church, Hillside Avenue, Huyton, Liverpool, L36 8DL, followed by committal at St Helens Crematorium, Rainford Road, St Helens, WA10 6DF.

Best regards,

Jerry Batte

Keep Well,
David Wilson.

(aka Cacique).
Old 25th July 2017, 08:50

My location
Bernie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cacique View Post
I have received the following sad news from Jerry Batte and would ask all to remember, or raise a glass to, Bernie :-

Unhappily I have to report the sad news that Bernie passed away last week. Aside from being the most conscientious ship’s agent Palm Line had the fortune to employ, Bernie became a true friend to so many of the seagoing staff joining, leaving and standing by the company’s ships in Liverpool. Those of us who attended last month’s Palm reunion in Wallasey were delighted to see Bernie there and though clearly very frail he was in excellent spirits and his dry humour was as strong as ever. I valued his friendship over the half century I knew him and will miss the monthly chats we had over the last thirty years following the company shutting up shop. These were usually fuelled by one (rarely) or more (frequently) glasses of something alcoholic. I will miss those calls.

His funeral will take place at 11.30 on 2nd August at St Columba RC Church, Hillside Avenue, Huyton, Liverpool, L36 8DL, followed by committal at St Helens Crematorium, Rainford Road, St Helens, WA10 6DF.

Best regards,

Jerry Batte

Keep Well,
David Wilson.

(aka Cacique).
May he rest well, a gentleman and friend to so many.