Troopships - Page 2 - Ships Nostalgia
09:24

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Troopships

User Tag List

Old 16th November 2005, 21:21

while trawling through old threads I came across the discussion on Troopships. Nobody seems to have mentioned the 'Asturias', registered in Belfast. O.N.148146 and G.T.22,444. I sailed on her as Q.M. in 1955/56. We went to Cyprus, Port Said, Aden, Colombo, Singapore, Hong Hong and finally Kure. Wonderful trips (3) and a wonderful ship. Managed by Royal Mail. Scrapped, I believe, about 1957.
Bobarr
Old 29th November 2005, 16:44

Asturias had a final claim to fame when she was used in the film, "A Night To Remember" to represent White Star's "Titanic". Part of her port side was painted black, I believe by students from Glasgow, and can be recognised in the film as the part where the glazed promenade on B Deck gave way to the open section. There is a video about the making of the film.
Old 5th April 2006, 19:54

Empire Orwell, 1955

QUOTE=cheddarnibbles][U]Empire Orwell Ex Empire Doon; Pretoria was operated by Alfred Holt from Nov.'58 til Feb.'62 as a pilgrim ship sailing from Indonesia to Jeddah under the name GUNUNG DJATI .She replaced TYNDAREUS
Later she was sold to the Indonesian Government for Hadji use and finally as a troopship.
Broken up in 1987.
She was not looked upon as a favourite assignment amongst midshipmen of that era.!!![/QUOTE]

Hello Cheddarnibbles- My brother served in the Royal Hampshire Regiment during his National Service days. Sent to Malaya, and was on the Empire Orwell on his way home for demob prior to April 1955. The Regt came back in 1956 on various ships, incl. this one, but do you know of any sailing dates for early 1955, please ? Rup.

Last edited by Gulpers; 7th April 2006 at 21:36..
Old 7th April 2006, 20:19

Empire Orwell

Rup, if you can get hold of back copies of Lloyds List, you can follow the Orwells route(s). Troopship arrivals were also often announced in the posh papers. Hopefully somebody who sailed on the Orwell all those years ago may have some info for you. Good Luck
Old 7th April 2006, 21:48

Troopships.

Further to the discussion on troopships there was also the Vienna which was a prewar LNER ferry and served during the war at Dunkirk and in the Med and was also at D-day. After the war she served as a MOWT troopship on the Harwich - Hook run along with Empire Wansbeck and Empire Parkeston.
Old 8th April 2006, 06:34
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1958 - Present

My location
Haven't seen a mention of the "ORBITA" on this thread. Sailed back from Singapore in her in 1950 as a kid. Understood that this was her last voyage before beeing scrapped. Any info would be appreciated.
Old 9th April 2006, 04:44

dom

i belive the windrush sank just of gib,may be wrong on that,also ibelive only 4 people lost there lives,one was an eng,who was engaged to be married,his letters to his girl friend about the state of the ship at that time was not alowd in evidence at the inquest.
Old 9th April 2006, 06:39
KIWI
Department: Engineering
Active: 1949 - 1955

My location
Empire Windrush sinking I believe was due to crew not being able to turn off vent fans as a result the fire was assisted considerably.Lloyds as a result insisted on isolating switches being up on boat deck.Empire Fowey had many innovations such as a funnel extension worked hyraulically.Steaming it came up in port down to give a better outline. KIWI
Old 9th April 2006, 09:35
Bilge Rat
Active: 1957 - 1963

My location
yes indeed sad event. remember now that our school caretakers son was an engineer on the windrush a Mr Turnbul. my oldest brother should have been on her but she had enough soldiers on board so he was transfered to the empire Orwell instead. However, many of his souveneers went down with the Windrush i believe..
Old 11th April 2006, 20:42

Thumbs up empire ships

Hi billy boy i have been doing some research on empire boats ,i have a good record on all empire boats were they ended up ,change of names ,a lot of info.on all boats taken over the last 15 years ,i have a record of some magazines that have photos of the boats,allso some details of u boats that sunk some of the empire boats,if you need any info.please let me know i will see if i can help/yours r.s.gilroy.
Old 11th April 2006, 22:26

troopships

ss benalbanach-built charles connell-scotstoun-1940-sunk by ariel torpedeo's-07-01-43 150 mls NW of algiers ------looking for photo's wee bobby
Old 11th April 2006, 22:35
Bilge Rat

My location
troopships

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob15
Hi billy boy i have been doing some research on empire boats ,i have a good record on all empire boats were they ended up ,change of names ,a lot of info.on all boats taken over the last 15 years ,i have a record of some magazines that have photos of the boats,allso some details of u boats that sunk some of the empire boats,if you need any info.please let me know i will see if i can help/yours r.s.gilroy.
Greatful thanks Rob. was on;ly realy interested in the" Pride and the orwel" my older brother traveled on these two during the Korean war crisis. he went out on the Pride and came back on the orwel, should have been the windrush but she was loaded ,so he was transfered to the orwell. thanks again mate
Old 15th April 2006, 23:39

my first ship the dilwara/gyqv ended up under Swires colours as the Kuala Lumpur she took Kiwi and I believe Aussies scouts to a Jamoree in Japan in the 60's

Alex

Last edited by alex page; 15th April 2006 at 23:48..
Old 17th May 2006, 22:35

Just a trio of Bibby troopers Dorsetshire,Lancashire,Cheshire. Possibly the Somersetshire she was a hospital ship but may have been a trooper at sometime .
Alex Page
Old 25th August 2006, 16:46

Thumbs up Empire Ken

HI photos of the Empire Ken can be found in the following magazines Shipping today and Yesterday April 1995--1994mag,no 57 Ships Monthly nov.1990.ships yard no.482 best regards Rob.
Old 25th August 2006, 18:29
Active: 1947 - 1954

My location
Check my gallery, I have three pictures of the Empire Ken.
John
Old 15th March 2007, 13:25

Empire Battleaxe

I sailed in Empire Battleaxe ferrying troops in the Med in 1946/47.Was one of the 'skeleton' crew who returned her to Norfolk, Virginia in 1947.
She was run by Cunard and they returned us home by train to Halifax,Nova Scotia then on Aquitania to Southampton. I have a photo if anyone interested.
Allan.
Old 19th March 2007, 08:42
Keith Adams
Department: Deck
Active: 1951 - 2011

My location
No one has mentioned the White Star (Cunard) Liner "Georgic" which operated as a troopship in WWII and lost one of her funnels during a bombing raid and continued as a troopship throughout the Korean War principaly ferrying
troops from Australia to and from Korea. My brother was a Quarter Master on
her at the time... she was always painted grey. Snowy
Old 10th July 2007, 09:39

Came back to U.K. from Malta on "Orduna" in 1947 for demob from R.N. Think from senile old memory that she had started picking up out east.
Doug.
Old 10th July 2007, 14:49

Although the Georgic was rebuilt after her disasterous fire in Egypt, she had so much structural damage that she was never again used on the North Atlantic during winter. Unlike sister Britannic she was also never refitted with First/Cabin accommodations.
Old 10th July 2007, 18:43

Troopships - Empire Windrush

Billy Wilson was Master of the Windrush. He was married To Ethel (Effie) one of the daughters of my grandmother's elder sister, Agnes (Aggie). Edgar Kinghorn Myles, Effies brother was awarded the VC in Mesopotamia, and should have been put up for another VC in Persia, but the C-in-C did not want to set a precedent of a double award, so Edgar received a D.S.O. instead. As a family historian, I would be grateful if anyone has any news, anecdotes, etc of Billy, and the Windrush.

Signalman
Old 10th July 2007, 19:10

My location
My father sailed on the Windsor Castle his first trip and was torpedoded in the Med. Gib to North Africa loaded with troops.
Ed Glover
Controlled drifting
Old 11th July 2007, 00:27
Banned

I'm finding this Thread interesting. What I'm curious to know is how many troops was a purpose built British troopship (BI's, Bibby etc) designed to carry? ie a Battalion, Regiment or what, come to that how many soldiers make up a Regiment/Battalion or whatever?

I ask this as I sailed on the Hadj in Kuala Lumpur(ex.Dilwara) and we carried over 2000 pilgrims and I found it difficult to imagine carrying any more of that number of British troops.

Rgds.
Old 11th July 2007, 03:46
Bilge Rat

My location
Signalman: My older brother went out to Korea on the Empire pride. he was to have come back on the Windrush but she was fully loaded. So, he came back on the Empire Orwel instead. that was the voyage when the Windrush cought fire.
A greaser named "Stockwell" perished on board during that fire (the son of our school caretaker at that time)
Hope you get all the information you are seeking on this site Signalman
Old 18th July 2007, 20:01

Fred,
A lot of info on the Troop Ships, well done, I was lucky enough to be on the Oxfordshire for Her last trip as a Troop Ship, Mombasa to Southampton, 3 Infantry Regiments, Two stops Adan and Gib, I only have One photo of Her.
a clean and good ship. as you said we then went to Air Transport Command.

Les