HullGate Shipping Company - Ships Nostalgia
03:42

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

HullGate Shipping Company

User Tag List

Old 6th April 2009, 08:29

HullGate Shipping Company

Any information please, is this company still around, I was on the HeatherGate 1962.
Old 6th April 2009, 09:11

No! the company was taken over by Rowbthams and the name was done away with, this in the late seventies
Old 6th April 2009, 09:43

Thanks for that, keep up the good work.

All the best YC
Old 6th April 2009, 13:13

Hello youngcornwall

Hull Gates Shipping Co Ltd was taken over by Turnbull, Scott & Co in 1981 and soldiered on for a few years. However, the slow run-down of its new parent company (Turnbull, Scott) also saw its fleet gradually disappear, with some of its vessels being managed latterly by Rowbotham Tankships. The last year in which the company appeared in shipping directories as a separate concern was 1988.

Regards
Roger
Old 6th April 2009, 16:38

Roger,
Turnbull, Scott sold Hull Gates to Rowbotham in 1982 along with Hull Gates Management and S. F. Craggs. As Andrew Huckett states in his book, "Rowbotham", three fully owned, two bareboat and four managed were transferred.
Gil.
Old 2nd July 2015, 20:45
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1970 - 1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by gil mayes View Post
Roger,
Turnbull, Scott sold Hull Gates to Rowbotham in 1982 along with Hull Gates Management and S. F. Craggs. As Andrew Huckett states in his book, "Rowbotham", three fully owned, two bareboat and four managed were transferred.
Gil.
Whilst at the Nautical college on the Boulevard, three of us decided to look for a summer job and finishedup down the Land of Green ginger.All three of us were offered work with Hull Gates. The other two struck it lucky with a month around Sweden and holland on the 'Queensgate'. I finished up with the 'Royalgate' sailing from Glasson Dock near Preston to Portaferry in Ireland, back and forth for a month but none the less great fun.
Old 2nd July 2015, 21:56

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Jordan View Post
Hello youngcornwall

Hull Gates Shipping Co Ltd was taken over by Turnbull, Scott & Co in 1981 and soldiered on for a few years. However, the slow run-down of its new parent company (Turnbull, Scott) also saw its fleet gradually disappear, with some of its vessels being managed latterly by Rowbotham Tankships. The last year in which the company appeared in shipping directories as a separate concern was 1988.

Regards
Roger
Interesting. I recall joining the almost brand new Jasmine B in (I think) January 1984 but believed that it was managed wholly by Hull Gates shipping along with Gardenia B and Orchid B. Indeed, Jasmine B was registered in Grimsby so, at 38000-odd DWT, she must have been the biggest ship registered in that port (ever?). I do recall having some rather interesting orders ...
Old 5th July 2015, 16:00

I believe the ships mentioned were managed by Ajax Marine of Grimsby the directors being Jack Bayram and Alex Fairclough (ex Directors of Hullgates and Fred Parkes Shipping). Fred Parkes Shipping also had two vessels called the Bengate and Simonsgate both registered in Grimsby in the mid seventies. Both these vessels had Monk Cranes fitted for trading in Africa.

I was employed ashore with a subsidiary company of Hullgates/Fred Parkes for a number of years and eventually joined the sea going staff as Chief Engineer in 1975 finishing through I'll health in 1984. It was a great company to work for.

Regards
Alan R737833
Old 5th July 2015, 17:17
Active: 1963 - 2011

HQ was a portacabin in GY docks. Or so it was rumoured.
Old 5th July 2015, 17:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot View Post
HQ was a portacabin in GY docks. Or so it was rumoured.
They had a brick office close to the old Doigs yard. Took my son there for interview when he joined them
Old 5th July 2015, 17:42
Active: 1981 - Present

My location
I seem to remember HQ was an upstairs room in a now disappeared building on Grimsby's west side Royal Dock, Roger Clarke who used to work in the pool at Grimsby was in charge of the crewing. Pat Bennett who also worked in the pool office was there in as Rowbothams took over .
Old 5th July 2015, 17:46

Pilot

Hullgates office was 2 storey building on the west side of the Royal Dock and Ajax Marine are still based in Bethleham Street Grimsby.

Alan
R737833
Old 8th July 2015, 20:35
Active: 1970 - 1987

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by timo View Post
I seem to remember HQ was an upstairs room in a now disappeared building on Grimsby's west side Royal Dock, Roger Clarke who used to work in the pool at Grimsby was in charge of the crewing. Pat Bennett who also worked in the pool office was there in as Rowbothams took over .
Pat Bennet often used to come down and visit Rowbotham ships when we were loading at the Immingham Oil Terminal.
I was mate on the Tillerman and she often paid us a visit, I think they were the main shipping agents for us on the Humber.

I was also mate on the Eastgate for 5 weeks running out of Milford to the west coast of Ireland.
The late Andy Shenton was Skipper.

Last edited by derekhore; 8th July 2015 at 20:38..
Old 9th July 2015, 19:29

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Dunk View Post
I believe the ships mentioned were managed by Ajax Marine of Grimsby the directors being Jack Bayram and Alex Fairclough (ex Directors of Hullgates and Fred Parkes Shipping). Fred Parkes Shipping also had two vessels called the Bengate and Simonsgate both registered in Grimsby in the mid seventies. Both these vessels had Monk Cranes fitted for trading in Africa.

I was employed ashore with a subsidiary company of Hullgates/Fred Parkes for a number of years and eventually joined the sea going staff as Chief Engineer in 1975 finishing through I'll health in 1984. It was a great company to work for.

Regards
Alan R737833
If it was the ships I mentioned, then I recall 'Ajax Marine' ... we used have a daily (Monday - Friday) telex schedule from the ship to the office in Grimsby .. seemed very sophisticated then. Jasmine B had superb radio equipment, best I ever had by some way). Difficult to imagine what the office setup was from Hobart, Tasmania. I say that because Marconi said that the Jasmine B 'trades Home waters' .. next thing I know I'm in Adelaide, Hobart and then Singapore. I revised my date of service to 1982 as she was 'allegedly' considered for Falklands service, carrying water. Good trip though, in fairness, great crew.
Old 20th July 2015, 20:22

Hi

Did you sail with John Pocklington (Master) and Alan Barret (Chief Engineer ).

I sailed with John on delivering two small tankers from Fukuoka Japan to the UK and the Continent, coastal voyages and was relieved by Alan.

Two great shipmates.

Alan R737833
Old 20th July 2015, 21:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Dunk View Post
Hi

Did you sail with John Pocklington (Master) and Alan Barret (Chief Engineer ).

I sailed with John on delivering two small tankers from Fukuoka Japan to the UK and the Continent, coastal voyages and was relieved by Alan.

Two great shipmates.

Alan R737833
John has just retired about a year ago, I meet up with him 2 or 3 times a year, a terrific guy.
Old 21st July 2015, 09:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by willincity View Post
John has just retired about a year ago, I meet up with him 2 or 3 times a year, a terrific guy.
Hi

Next time you see John please give him my regards.

Regards

Alan
R737833
Old 26th January 2016, 23:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by PETER NIESCHMIDT View Post
Whilst at the Nautical college on the Boulevard, three of us decided to look for a summer job and finishedup down the Land of Green ginger.All three of us were offered work with Hull Gates. The other two struck it lucky with a month around Sweden and holland on the 'Queensgate'. I finished up with the 'Royalgate' sailing from Glasson Dock near Preston to Portaferry in Ireland, back and forth for a month but none the less great fun.
I remember the 'Royalgate' coming into Castletown(IOM) with containers for Ronagency from Glasson Dock. Also the Northgate, Kingsgate, and the Wellowgate. I often wondered what the connection was between Hullgates, and Ronagency, as apart from the Northgate, the other vessels didn't seem suitable for containers.
Old 27th January 2016, 18:18

We called into the Isle of Mann, 'twas the summer of '69( think there's a song there somewhere) Only unloaded a couple of containers full of Mars bars, didn't even get ashore although we almost hit Chicken Rock one time passing the southern end of the island. The mate papped himself, we were heading straight for the rocks when he realized I was leaning against the auto pilot wearing a deck knife on my belt. The auto pilot was worked directly off the magnetic compass, lesson learnt. Most of the cargo was containers which were laid athwartships and lashed with bottle screws, no container shoes then.
Old 27th January 2016, 23:04

I lived in Castletown, and somewhere I have photo of the 'Royalgate' trying to come onto the berth, and hitting the end of the breakwater, no damage seemed to be done to either the breakwater, or the 'Royalgate'.
Old 28th January 2016, 16:32

Whilst berthed in Glasson Dock a Turnbull tanker used to pass us at a fair lick and bounce off the jetty before a quick tie up and off to the pub. Royalgate was full of scrapes and dents, I guess the smaller ships could take plenty of stick!
Old 28th January 2016, 17:28

My location
Hi guys, i sailed as cook/steward on the " Parkesgate " from 9/4/72-8/7/72 and as i remember the old man was a bit of a weirdo,his name was Coine, as far as i can tell from his signature in my discharge book, does anyone remember her?.
Old 3rd August 2016, 10:50
Active: 1969 - Present

Address oin Hull

Quote:
Originally Posted by PETER NIESCHMIDT View Post
Did the same while waiting for my cadetship to be sorted out and inviewed in an office down Scale Lane opposite Manny Arms. Also did the summer on Royalgate out of Glasson Dock with containers to Belfast, Northgate was also running out of there to IOM along with a Tower boat.
Met the Master of Royalgate in Singapore years later where he had set up his own company and was the Flag state inspector as we did a flag change there on the vessel I took from the UK to there.
Old 5th August 2016, 08:30

Heathergate (1957-1974)
ON186729 597g 293n 179’ 92 x 28’ 9” x 11’ 9”
7-Cyl 2SCSA oil engine by British Polar Engines Ltd, Glasgow.

14.11.1956: Lauched by Clelands (Successors) Ltd, Wallsend (Yard No. 214) for Hull Gates Shipping Co Ltd, Hull (Craggs & Jenkin Ltd, Hull, managers) as Heathergate. 1.1957: Completed. 1961: Owners became Glynwood Navigation Co. Ltd, Hull. 1969: Owners became Hull Gates Shipping Co Ltd, Hull (S.F. Craggs & Co Ltd, Hull, managers). 1974: Sold to ‘Praxandros’ Maritime Co Ltd, Cyprus (P.G. Meletis, Piraeus, manager until 1978) and renamed Vulcan. 8.1.1979: Drove aground in Sitia Bay, Crete, by gale force winds while on a voyage from Volos and Chalkis to Jeddah with a cargo of cement and steel wire and later broke in two.
Co. No. 187893 Bishopgate Ltd incorporated 19 February 1923, changed to Hull Gates Shipping Co. Ltd. 22 January 1937 and renamed Tom Sleight Seiners Ltd. 18 November 1982 and dissolved 2 September 1997.
Youngcornwall hope this is of interest to you.
Regards
Graham Atkinson
Old 13th November 2017, 23:04
Active: 1949 - 2000

Hello Joe W.
That was the Tower Duchess, l shouldn't wonder. I had her on that run for the best part of two years. Was that Scottie that you sailed with and met in Singapore?
H. Edmunds.