Calgary Catalina - Ships Nostalgia
03:26

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Calgary Catalina

User Tag List

Old 5th August 2018, 20:32
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1968 - 1971

Calgary Catalina

Hello fellow mariners past. I have been trying to find information about MV Calgary Catalina, a seismic vessel aboard which I sailed in 1969. She was a refitted and repurposed seiner originally named FV Golden Scarab. The Scarab had sat at Purdy Brothers wharf in Halifax for roughly 2 years before it's makeover. I joined her in May, 1969 and left her to join Fundy Gypsum in September of that year, and have always been curious about what her fate might have been. I've included a photo of the Catalina dockside in Halifax taken from the Fisheries Research Board, where I worked prior to signing aboard as 'assistant navigator', aka 'jack-of-all-trades'. Hope this rings a bell...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CALGARY CATALINA_0001.jpg (248.1 KB, 37 views)
Old 5th August 2018, 21:40
Active: 1967 - 1976

My location
Welcome onboard bigmig, enjoy the site.
She looks like she was an ex Tuna fishing boat?

Cheers Frank
Old 7th August 2018, 20:34
Active: 1968 - 1971

Right you are, Frank P. I checked the registry of Canadian built fishing vessels, and found that she was built at the Davies shipyard in Lauzon, Quebec. A further search identified that she was contracted by StarKist to fish tuna off the west coast of Africa. I vaguely remember her being towed into Halifax under questionable circumstances, and sitting alongside at Purdy Brothers for arguably a couple years. I haven't discovered where she was repurposed for seismic capability (yet). Anyway, we did most of our work off the eastern seaboard of both Nova Scotia and Newfoundland, in the Gulf of St. Lawrence, and in the river as far west as Lac St. Jean.
Old 10th August 2018, 08:35

IMO No: 6501109
Year: 1964
Name:
GOLDEN SCARAB
[1969 cv to research vessel, 975gt] - 69 CALGARY CATALINA - 71 J.E.JONSSON
BU Bo'ness 7.2.85 [Bo'ness Scrap]