Hornby Grange Tanker Fact or Fiction? - Ships Nostalgia
04:34

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Hornby Grange Tanker Fact or Fiction?

User Tag List

Old 19th August 2018, 12:16

Hornby Grange Tanker Fact or Fiction?

I stood by her and did the maiden voyage and here are a few tales I recollect, are they true? I think they are but time plays tricks.

1. When launched the Lady that did it demanded the removal of the no bullshit plaque in the bar (it wasn't removed)

2. We had the latest walport vhs player with a black and white marconi international tv.

3. When asking for a colour tv we were told no, because the rest of the fleet would want one, so we became the newest ship in the fleet watching B & W movies.

4. Originally the list indicators showed green for port list and vice-versa.

5. This is true, I managed to correct after a long discussion. The pipe markings on the manifold drip tray (bunker, FW, Line 1 etc) were correct on the port side but they started marking them from left to right on the starboard side.

6. The port manifold derrick lifted off the deck when being load tested. (seem to remember me and JAWS joking about it before it happened)

7. The gantry motor in Royal Avenue went off the end when tested as no stop plate had been fitted.

8. The radio or part off was replaced before we sailed,after the explosion Sparky could not get the main set working and used emergency.

9. In curacao the old non working radio was sent out.

10 Fact Omega was a pain in the butt.
Old 19th August 2018, 17:59
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1976 - 2017

I was on the Hornby from 82 onwards and definitely agree with fact 10! Houlders/Furness seemed a bit obsessed with Omega instead of Satnav-one story was it was a superintendent's personal favourite (?).

The Hornby and Elstree Granges seemed very old fashioned compared to the CYS MARINER which was built around the same time, and which I was on previous to joining the HORNBY GRANGE.

Martyn

Last edited by loco; 19th August 2018 at 17:59.. Reason: Spelling
Old 20th August 2018, 00:23

worst ship i ever sailed on [i did two trips]the brandon priory and cerinthus were a dodle by comparison
Old 23rd August 2018, 11:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by loco View Post
I was on the Hornby from 82 onwards and definitely agree with fact 10! Houlders/Furness seemed a bit obsessed with Omega instead of Satnav-one story was it was a superintendent's personal favourite (?).

The Hornby and Elstree Granges seemed very old fashioned compared to the CYS MARINER which was built around the same time, and which I was on previous to joining the HORNBY GRANGE.

Martyn
I did the maiden voyage on the Mariner, was whipped away half way through my Mates when Tung realised the French Charterers would not accept FOC, so quickly registered to Hong Kong and dipped into his newly acquired British crew.

The stand by was weird, always steak,cold chips and a papple for evening chow. The trip was fun, great people with Clive Wales from Wales leading us.

Some of the things on there

The 3/O had dimmer on his desk light, 2/O had a bunk light dimmer as well.

The desk light was half the size of the desk.

You could dial a cabin using the walkie talkies(maybe)

Only the DMO was allowed to operate the pumps (that soon stopped)

Everything was so neat and tidy, still touching up varnish as we set off on maiden voyage (as opposed to Hornby which looked 10 yrs old).

Upset the the french at Fos because I did not recognise 'cease marinaire' when they called.
Old 24th August 2018, 18:21
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1976 - 2017

Hello Vasco;

I have noted in the past that we seem to have been on the same ships, but not at the same time.

I relieved John Lloyd on the CYS MARINER, and, eventually, six month's later, he relieved me in turn...…I think he had joined with you on the maiden voyage. There is a bit more about John and I on the thread ORBITA, ORTEGA, ORDUNA, which I replied to last week.

Having gone to the CYS MARINER from the 20 year old KAYESON, I couldn't believe how 'modern' she was, with deep well pumps and double bottom tanks-so easy to work single handed, just about. Then I went to the HORNBY, and thought I'd stepped back to a slightly newer version of KAYESON-I couldn't believe that the MARINER ns the GRANGEs had been built at the same time. I then went to the HORNBY, and the ELSTREE, and was on the until both finished-I was one of a number who did the last voyage of both ships.

As a link to your fact 10-CYS MARINER had an up to the minute Satnav, as you know, and, as you said, the other two had Omega...

I always thought that if the CYS MARINER had the accommodation of the GRANGEs, then it would have been ideal, or the GRANGE's had the MARINER's cargo gear-I found the MARINER's accommodation very noisy.

With regards 'cease marinaire', in New York on the HORNBY GRANGE we were called HORNY RANGER.....We tried to keep it C.Y.S. when I was on there, but after I left, when she had changed to Golden Peak management (but still with several ex Furness/Houlders crew), it had become 'cease'. I last saw her, and also one of the GRANGEs, when putting a pilot on board at Sunk Pilot station, though they had both changed names by then.

Martyn

Last edited by loco; 24th August 2018 at 18:26..