Houlder Brothers Crews & Ships - Page 2 - Ships Nostalgia
06:07

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Houlder Brothers Crews & Ships

User Tag List

Old 21st December 2005, 10:20

Hi there Albert,
I swallowed the anchor about 18 years ago now - so I`ll have to dig out my old
discharge books etc.
I will get back to you when I find them.
I was at sea from 1966 till about 1985/6 - the last 15 of them as freelance sparks on
really odd ships.I`ll also dig out a list of those I was on - It`ll be interesting to think back.
Regards
Bob
Old 23rd December 2005, 10:34

I have a very good neg of Westbury if you want a print get back to me.
Old 25th December 2005, 13:08

Hi there

My Dad (Edward Turner ("Teddy") captained the Clutha River many years ago, but I cannot find any real detail about her. He Died 42 years ago so it was a while ago. We have some pics in the family so I'll ask to see if anyone has one.

Happy Xmas Tim Turner
Old 26th December 2005, 12:44
Super Moderator
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1952 - 1965

Clutha River 12500 tons built 1953/4? 537.0 x 70.2 x 39.5. Built by Hawthorn Leslie & co, Newcastle. 1 6cylinder diesel engine built by shipbuilders.Owned by British Empire Steam Navigation Co Ltd and managed by Houlders Brothers& Co Ltd.Registered London. Used for carrying petrol in bulk.Machinery aft.
Old 26th December 2005, 16:39
LEFO

Knew a Shetlander who was a bosun with Houlders,sorry to say he passed away last year Andy Barclay of Levenwick,Shetland
Old 24th January 2006, 18:13

Bidford Priory

I was 3rd Engineer on Bidford Priory May to October 1967.
Bomber Harras was the Chief Engineer the Old Man was Jackson.
I would like to hear from anyone.

Les Crowe
Old 26th January 2006, 20:51

Was on the Brandon Priory in 1969 Captain was ? Saunders and then the good ship Joya McCance from 69 to end of 71. I was also on The Dundee Kingsnorth leaving Finland to its drilling position in the North Sea. Started as junior and rose to the dizzy height of third engineer.
Old 27th March 2006, 10:08

Was on the Royston grange in the early years

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Norman
Any officers around from Houlder Brothers from 1962 to 1968
or Ellerman & Papyani 1968 to 1970, would be great to hear how you are doing.
Was a junior Engineer on the Royston Grange at start and left her as a 5th Engineer. All this about 1963 -1965. Wow that was a long time ago.
Old 30th November 2006, 01:21

Hello Norman,
I sailed as 3rd Officer on the Oswestry Grange in 1962.
David
Old 30th November 2006, 14:25

I'd av loved to contribute but I wasn't an officer
Old 30th November 2006, 17:09
user

My location
Tell, I for one would welcome your news - please let us know. Kind regards, Mark
Old 3rd December 2006, 01:35

Hello, Thought I'd add my bit here! Was 2/O from 65 til 71/2 when I realised they had me marked as one of their permanent 2/O/wage clerks! Sailed on most of the 'O' boats plus Joya McCance(ore carrier) and several runs to the Plate on Queensbury and Ocean Transport. I still keep the 12 - 4 even now I'm retired!!! Still fall to sleep directly after dinner!!! Wake up around midnight!
Having a great time swanning around this web-site. First Class !!!
BFN Howard
Old 6th December 2006, 20:48
leo hannan

Houlder Bros.

Here's my contribution.
Joined Houlders March 1962 left April 1999. Would do it all again if I could.
Regards
Leo
Old 7th December 2006, 19:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Ferguson View Post
What on earth were Houlder Bros. doing in Shanghai!?!? Hugh Ferguson
Hello Hugh,

Fertiliser from Bremerhaven to Shanghai, and then back to Rotterdam with Tapioca root from Bangkok.

Two extremes there, fortnight in Shanghai with one run ashore under armed guard to a mission and then two weeks in Bangkok.

Regards

Ninja.
Old 7th December 2006, 22:20
Department: Deck
Active: 1957 - 1969

Royston Grange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Ferguson View Post
What on earth were Houlder Bros. doing in Shanghai!?!? Hugh Ferguson
Hello Hugh sorry mate i got carried away there, i was not on one of Houlders when i paid off sick in Shanghai [ although i was in the Royston Grange in the 60,s beautiful ship sad loss breaks your heart when you think of all hands being lost in her ] the ship i paid off sick on was the Worthy Down Manns of London they only had two ships i joined her in Hong Kong late 61 ,i only joined her for the plane ride got more than i bargained for , but i have to say i was very well treated by the Chinese during my time there and i hope one day in the not to distant future to take a holiday there and take a trip down memory lane it all seems so long ago now close on to 45 years i spent over a month there , and then two days down to Hong Kong by train as i said i still have my train tickets and visa which i very much treasure to this day sites like these stire such wonderful memorys .
Old 8th December 2006, 18:21
user

My location
Houlder Brothers Ships

As there are several general comments on Houlders which do not easily fit into a specific Houlders ship, I was moved to collect them here, in the hope that more can be added and the thread can grow accordingly. I trust that no one will be upset if they find their post has been moved into this thread.
Old 9th December 2006, 01:18

I joined the Langton Grange in the early 50s she had been newly fitted out , our quarters were superb, so much so that people used to come aboard to see them,single cabins for all the seamen and firemen and a recreation room, she was a happy ship and i loved the voyage, we went into some out of the way places, Quatreros was one of them, love to do it all again
Old 9th December 2006, 09:55
user

My location
Tell, you have a very good memory, the conversion (at the end of 1949) so all members of the crew could be accommodated in single cabins was such a success, with visitors from the press and other ships, that arrangements were put in hand to convert all the other vessels in the fleet.

She was the third ship to bear the name; the first Langton Grange was built 1896 and wrecked 05-08-1909 – the second Langton Grange was built 1919 as War Pansy. Sold in 1936 and re-named Nicolas M Embiricos, mined and sunk 04-11-1939; the third Langton Grange was built in 1942 as Empire Pennant, acquired by Houlders in 1946 and broken up in 1960.

As you say, a happy ship working for a happy company.
Old 11th December 2006, 03:33

Tonga I didn't consult my discharge book i relied on my memory a big mistake,that's why i had the dates wrong, thanks for your remarks, brings back memories that are precious
Old 11th December 2006, 12:33
user

My location
Tell,
Thanks, but frankly, to be just 6 months out after more than 50 years is pretty good in my book, so well done indeed - I just wish that my memory was as good for dates, but accounts like yours do stir the memory and thanks for that.
Old 16th December 2006, 21:23

Some of the Houlders (and/or Hadleys) ships I sailed on get no mention, unless I have missed something. I was on the Star Pinewood on its last trip before being sold off but whatever happened to the Carinthus and Calandria? Perhaps I spelt them incorrectly in my search?
Old 16th December 2006, 21:53
Department: Deck
Active: 1953 - 2014

My location
Houlders Brothers Crews and ships

Hello Les Blues, I think if you trawl back through the Houlder file, you will find that they have all had a mention of some kind. The company (ies) is/are well represented on this site.
Old 16th December 2006, 23:14
user

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Les_Blues View Post
Some of the Houlders (and/or Hadleys) ships I sailed on get no mention, unless I have missed something. I was on the Star Pinewood on its last trip before being sold off but whatever happened to the Carinthus and Calandria? Perhaps I spelt them incorrectly in my search?

Les,
The first one you mention is CERINTHUS which more than popular on here and in her real life - Hadleys are today on to Cerinthus number 5.

The Calandria, was one of three mini-ships, the name has only been used the once in the HSC fleet. She was built for and delivered to HSC in 1970 and sold in 1979 and re-named Quadan, then Fiskela in 1986. As a curiosity she actually reverted to the name Calandria in 1989 (but under the control of outside interests), before being sold in 1990 to Chinese Owners and re-named QIONG
Old 22nd December 2006, 17:12

port talbot

my name is mike kelly. now living in spain .sailed on the oremina also the essex a nowegian out of port talbot 1959/ 60 has anybody got pics from that time there were qiute a few sweds and nowegian and english ships in port talbot i got married to a girl from there. her father was lock keeper at the time name of bob quick. just a usless bit of info

Last edited by done it; 22nd December 2006 at 17:24..
Old 22nd December 2006, 22:34

Tim
I was R/O on the 1st & 2nd trips of the Clydesdale. I paid off in Rotterdam after a trip up the Missisippi January 1968. Master was Woolcott but as for other names they escape my memory at present!